Canajan, eh?

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
If you're writing about Canadians, I am definitely one who says "eh". I didn't think I did, but I was busted in the act and am now forced to admit it. :D So suggest to your American friends that they should live in Canada for a while before they tell a Canadian how Canadians talk.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Saskatchewan so I don't have an accent. ;) I hardly ever say "eh" either, but I know there are people here who do.

My fiance is from the U.S. and grew up near D.C., but he doesn't seem to have an accent to me except for a very slight elongation of the vowels in words like south, house, etc. But he says vitamins the way the Brits do. :Wha:

anne_holly

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing about Canadians, I am definitely one who says "eh". I didn't think I did, but I was busted in the act and am now forced to admit it. :D So suggest to your American friends that they should live in Canada for a while before they tell a Canadian how Canadians talk.

I'm with you on that one!

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all. I was born and raised in Montreal and then joined the navy. Spent time in Halifax and Victoria and finally retired here. I have set several short stories on Vancouver Island and wasn't asked to change spelling at all. Then again, the website that accepted them was based out of Calgary and I guess it wasn't an issue. I have been told by a friend from Massachusetts that I do have an accent though I can't tell.

Happy Thanksgiving

anne_holly

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Canucks!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Yes, I thought about that, and will talk it over with my editor, but I didn't want the Yanks to think I was just a bad speller. I think I am the only Canuck author there who actually places my books in Canada.

But you may be right... Will consider it, and see what my editor suggests. TY.

I've actually placed almost all of my books in Canada or at least referred to it...

"What God and Cats Know" - set in Toronto!
"Blaze of Glory" - set in Toronto!
"Wild Cards and Iron Horses"... er, not. Wild Wild Steampunk West! Sorry...

:D

and happy Gobble day for all me kinfolk!

anne_holly

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually placed almost all of my books in Canada or at least referred to it...

"What God and Cats Know" - set in Toronto!
"Blaze of Glory" - set in Toronto!
"Wild Cards and Iron Horses"... er, not. Wild Wild Steampunk West! Sorry...

:D

and happy Gobble day for all me kinfolk!

I meant at my actual publishers.

I in no way assumed I was the only Canadian ever to do this. :D

Fiery

Registered
Reaction score
Aha I found it. I was wondering why there were so many Greek threads and no Canadian ones.

I've found I do say 'eh' a fair bit, but mostly with other people that do. It's kind of like a positive feedback system.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I say 'eh'. Now I'm going to be listening to myself constantly.

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
Carmy--that whole accent thing is strange but not uncommon. I know plenty of Newfoundlanders (my mother included) who've left the island and whose accents only return when they are speaking to other Newfoundlanders. :D

This is me! I'm in Toronto (Chran -toe in newfineese) I learned to speak 'English' So that everyone would stop asking me to repeat myself. Though, I have retained my newfi affinity to imaginary words and slurring things together.
The major word they call me on is Garage. Newfi's say Gradge mainlanders say Gar-ogue. I also didn't know what a foyer was. The one time I heard my sister say 'Eh' I slapped her. That's a sin on the island. We say B'y ( pronounced bye -meaning boy.) Yes b'y , no b'y , go-on whit ya b'y etc.
My most popular catch phrases are - Your gratin on me nerves- or Yer driven' me to drink

You can't say- "how Canadian's talk" any more then you can say "how American's talk" Someone from New York doesn't sound like someone from New Orleans or Alabama, or Minnesoooooota.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm so glad that there is a Canadian thread. PLUS, I'm glad that I get to bump it to the top of the pile ... that is where we canuckers belong after all. EAT IT, ALL YOU OTHER COUNTRIES!!! LOL

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Okay, just came across this thread, and though I was happy to see Bob and Doug being brought up...

But what about a TOQUE? When I write novels, naturally when it's cold out, my MC's put on a toque... you'd be surprised how many people don't know what a toque is, and think I am nuts lol.
Most of my beta's are American as it would seem and it's hilarious getting back their edits (if they don't know me well) they point every little thing that makes me Canadian lol.

Westie

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from BC!

Look at all of us Canadian writers - it's awesome!

I, too, fall to the 'eh', and yes, it's amusing when friends from the States say they love your accent.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My closest Canadian friend and I have noted one particular language difference that doesn't come up often, but boy does it separate the Canucks from the Yanks: the past participle of the verb "to shine," as in "the sun has shone for the last three days."

It's spelled "shone." Yanks pronounce it to rhyme with "bone" / "shown," whereas Canucks pronounce it to rhyme with "gone" / "dawn." And they both gaze flabbergasted at one another.

Darke

New Kid. Careful, I bite.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
*waves* Another canuck here, trying to figure out where to start digging myself out from all this snow. Not that I'm complaining. It's Canada afterall, where we have four seasons; almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.

I'm just south of Napanee (no Avril jokes,please) and we are not a one horse town either- we have a Walmart now. :p

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Yep... I'm Canadian - but I'm British too!
Basically I lived in the UK for almost 12 years before emigrating to "The Best Place on Earth", yep - British Columbia! Still living here in B.C, but thinking of heading back to the U.K again one day. I actually have the privilege of being able to live in Canada, or the UK.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very excited. I'm Canadian, but living in the Middle East. They've just announced they're going to open some Tim Hortons over here :)

I can't wait.

spiros

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, so here's my other country's thread! :)

Living in Greece the last few years (Greek ancestry and all) but born and bred in tronno. (Toronto for those with proper pronunciation)

And I've kicked the "eh" and "aboot" habits :D

Cheers!:hi: