i never posted this and you don't know me. right?

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
(seriously serious here. well, unless you really want me banned (not by AW, mind you...) just thought you might be interested in what the other 90% of the world population may run up against.

ONLY read IF: 1). you are terribly boooored. 2.) you THINK you have real problems paying your rent and making a living. 3.) you are considering moving 'here'.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=223&title=Pack your bags now

...there, doesn't that make you feel so much better?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"They want people to occupy the thousands of new apartments that are lying empty at the moment by evicting people from all the villas.”

No one is paying the rent on these luxury digs. Can't have that now, can we? Somebody is not making $$. tsk, tsk.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
That damn OCP. You know what they need? They need Robocop.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
We have similar laws here in the USA. Many towns and cities have zoning laws which dictate that one-family houses cannot be occupied by more than 4 unrelated adults.

I know of a beautiful six bedroom house (this is a house I visited when I used to go to church in that area) in a very ritzy section of the suburbs of Philadelphia (a lot of super cool church-related parties and get-togethers have been held in that house). That house is owned by a landlady who rents it out to "nice girls" (in other words, she's super picky about who she lets in, she will NOT rent to men, and does very thorough background checks on the young women who rent there--so she rents to "church-y type girls"). The rent is $2500.00 a month, and so it's too high for just four women to swing, so the landlady and FIVE young ladies all went to court to get a zoning variance to allow for THAT house to be permitted to have FIVE unrelated adults live in it. And let me tell you! Those five young ladies all dressed to the hilt for that court appearance! They showed up in the most impeccable and conservative business suits with their hair and nails perfecty groomed. The judge gladly granted them the zoning variance with no fuss.

These kinds of zoning ordinances arose in the USA (and many many regions of Europe) when the Industrial Revolution caused the overcrowding of cities and the overburdening of water supplies and sewage lines, and especially the trash removal systems.

As for this sad situation in Dubai, the city planners in Dubia really should have been on the stick from the get-go and should have prevented the situation from arising in the firts place. So now they are operating from a position of damage control. So a lot of people are about to lose their homes, causing a lot of heartache.

But I really don't blame the city of Dubai for wanting to uphold these kinds of zoning ordinances. If the local utilities and systems cannot accomodate ALLLLL those people, then they simply need to reduce the number of people per unit.

And in defense of the officials in Dubai --IF those officials are telling the truth-- they made this proclamation two whole years ago, so those residents have had two years to make other living arrangements.

“It is illegal to share a villa and partition rooms. This adds pressure on the service amenities like water, electricity and sewage leading to health and environment problems,” said Omar Abdul Rahman, head of the Building Inspection Department at Dubai Municipality.“We have given enough time for landlords and people to comply with our rules. If they don’t follow our instructions, we will be forced to disconnect the water and electricity in villas and stop all dealings with the landlord.”

But he said the municipality does not have the power to force landlords to refund rent paid in advance. “They can approach the Rent Dispute Committee of the Municipal Council if they have paid the money legally. We have nothing to do with it,” Rahman said.

He added the campaign of villa evictions was not new and was part of a concerted effort launched two years ago.

Clean water and properly functioning sewage systems are critical to a modern and civilized city to STAY civilized, especially in such a hot and sun-scorched city as Dubai. If the city officials lose a foothold on the proper usage and maintencen of the city's sewers, that's how vermin and disease can get the upper hand, and then people (espcailly poor people) could literally start dying.

As for the lack of cheap housing, I'm sorry, I can't answer for that. I myself have been faced with a lack of money and an inability to rent in the area I wanted to rent in. So it's the same all over. But I generally support efforts to enforce zoning ordinances of this nature.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
for comparison's sake: the cost of renting a studio apartment is the equivalent of US$1600/month minimum -- paid one year in advance (or at best, two checks per year). it can easily go up to US$3,000 per month if one wants to live 'closer to the city proper'. just so you know, it is the people making the rules who own all properties and set the rents. A six bedroom house (they call it a 'villa' here) rents for upwards of US$120,000.00 a year.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If the rich people of Dubai want to have middle class employees in their businesses and lower class servants in their households, then they need to address the cost of housing in Dubai. If ALL of Dubai is so expensive that only the very rich can live there, then that means only the very rich will run all their business, scrub all their toilets, answer all their phones, and administer all their healthcare.

Failing to make allowances for the lower classes to be able to work in Dubai --be it via affordable housing in the city, or via valid public transit from nearby (and cheaper) towns-- is a case of the upper classes cutting off their own support systems. Even the police and the fire fighters in Dubai should at least be able to LIVE in Dubai.

Dubai is one of the richest cities in the world, and if they were stupid enough to do this, then something somewhere will eventually come to a head and cause something to give way. Even the city planners who engineered the grid-work street system of New York City 120 years ago made deliberate allowances for Harlem to exist as a fully-functioning lower class neighborhood, completely able to have ready access to Manhattan via the soon-coming subway system.