one of my dogs peed on my couch

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas how to get it out of the cushions? I took off the covers and washed them in the washer, but of course the dog peed in the space between two cushions so it soaked the two cushions and the couch underneath. I squeezed the cushions with a towel, sprayed it with pet stuff for urine and squeezed them again and then sprayed them again, but honestly I'm considering buying new foam, but that leaves the couch, it is soaked through to the fabric underneath the couch. I used a towel to soak up as much as I could, sprayed it, used the another towel, sprayed it again, and put baking soda on it, which I'll vaacuum at some point later today.

Plus, I have three dogs and don't know which one did it. The likely culprit is the newest one but we've had him since October and he's only peed in the house 2 or3 times. The little black one peed by the door when she was sick, and the oldest one hasn't peed in the house since she was a puppy (she's 6). I am worried one of them is sick or something but don't know which one it was. BAH.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Mixing cleaners can damage fabrics and stuffing (enzymatic cleaners can stain over time in their own right), and invalidate each other's activity. Stick to one trusted/locally recommended product made specifically to clean fabric and/or break down urine.

The key to getting a good result is to let the upholstery dry completely between treatments. Otherwise, you'll risk mold and bacterial growth that will produce new-and-exciting odors. ;)

There aren't really any shortcuts to finding the culprit...urine samples evaluated by your vet's office can rule out bladder infection, inefficient kidney function, diabetes, etc., but may be inconclusive (if, for example, someone has a weakened bladder sphincter, no metabolic/infectious signs will be found in their urine). Watch everyone, be scrupulous about their outing schedule, crate if possible when you cannot supervise them.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I like this product because it's an enzyme eater that also adds a scent to discourage the dog from doing it again. There are other products out there (look for "enzyme" in the description) but I've had good luck with this one. The scent isn't obnoxious after it's dry. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a wet/dry vacuum? Those are great for cleaning accidents.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once you own one, you'll find a wet/dry vacuum has lots of other uses, things you'd never do to your real vacuum.

Maryn, who uses one for gross stuff

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They had one at Petsmart - I went in to buy more enzymatic cleaner yesterday.
To give you an idea how few accidents my dogs have, I just used the last of the cleaner I bought when Leela was a puppy in 2007.

So I sprayed the couch and cushions again last night. We'll see how things are this evening. But the dogs have lost couch privileges unless we're with them. We blocked them off with the coffee table and a baby gate.