• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Alter Ego Press / Zilverspoor

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
They accept all brands of sf,f,h, YA, thrillers and other stuff. Apparently a branch of a Dutch company
http://www.alteregopress.com/alteregopress_paperbacks.html
More or less decent covers; not a lot of info on payment and stuff.
Also, it says on their site that they 'kick off' in 2013, with a bunch of Dutch books translated into English, but this does not seem to be the case.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
They don't seem to have any books out yet and their Facebook hasn't been updated since Christmas Eve last year. AEP is "closely tied" to the Dutch publishing company Zilverspoor:
http://www.zilverspoor.com/

Last edited:

Graylorne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulhorsman-author.com
Zilverspoor is my Dutch publisher. It is an up and coming company and growing very fast. They publish fantasy, sf, horror, Y.A. and some other things. They have at the moment some 50+ authors.

Alter Ego Press will be their English language division, but I expect (I'm not into their policies :)) they will only do translations of their present authors. It is not their top priority, as they have their hands full, being one of the very few publishers who work with Dutch authors. (The big publishers over here prefer translations of well known US/UK authors to the homegrown variety).

They're absolutely legitimate and are well known in the Dutch fantasy scene. They use the Dutch standard book contracts, but no advances.

Now I am curious how did you find them?

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Their parent does seem to be reasonably well-represented in Dutch bookstores.

I don't see any books published prior to 2012 listed. Judging from the shipping speeds, the books sell well enough that bol.com has chosen to keep an inventory of books on hand. They don't normally do that for slow movers.

My basic judgement here is that these people look to be professional Dutch publishers looking to expand their niche.

I can tell you that for Americans, working with the Dutch can be interesting. We tend to have different cultural expectations about business dealings, and it can be difficult to actually come to an agreement. It's easy to think you've come to an agreement, but you can get surprised later. I'd love to see how a Dutch publishing contract compares to an American one.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Try them, Kevin, drop the a note about the discussion, your willingless and ability, etc.

...You will be stunned and amazed by my tale of how I discovered them, Graylorne. Prepare to be shocked! I googled 'submit fantasy novel' :)

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like their first English language novel has been released: Hydrhaga

I can't say that I'm impressed by the Amazon page and there's a certain Dutchness to the promotional blurbs and the website. Anyone able to access any information about the availability and sales of this book in brick-and-mortar stores? I note that this is published as trade paperback only, which seems a bit unusual these days.

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame. Kim ten Tusscher is a fairly successful author. I took a look at the translation, and it seems that they are using a native Dutch speaker to translate it to English. It's certainly competent translation but a little passive. Dutch tends to use passive forms more often than English and it shows.