The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM St George

Re: hmm... another escapee, it seems...

ah... well, this could get interesting fast if PA gets upset at some of their authors being "poached" as it were...

HB's gonna be a busy boy...

:D

James D Macdonald

Why PA Authors Wake Up Screaming

While book store managers lock the doors when they see them coming, and editors return their manuscripts unopened, stuff like this gets printed by <a href="http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=0345469089&view=excerpt" target="_new">Ballantine</a> and is going to be in huge cardboard display dumps by the front door of every Barnes&Noble in the country in about a month's time.

Yeah, life's unfair.

allion

Re: Why PA Authors Awake Up Screaming

Now I'm really depressed...

Do we really need a "movie tie-in" for a cat who has been in the comics for as long as I can remember?

My guess is that someone said the magic word "synergy" and off they went. Off the deep end, most likely. This goes along with the Cat in the Hat castoffs I saw at Wal-Mart today. Sad collections of stuffed nonsense someone was supposed to buy.

PA authors are not the only ones waking up screaming at stories like this, however.

Dragon Chow

Behler Publications

That's the publisher Lynn Price (aka PA Library Lynn) started, isn't it? I remember her talking about it over at Mindsight. She probably had Paul Norwood do the web site.

DC

emeraldcite

Re: completely OTT

I get a lot of emails every single day. There are a lot of lurkers asking questions. There are a lot of people considering PA as their publisher. Ther are a lot of people asking for help. When someone sends me an email about you (I have six so far) and your performance on another board, I go check it out.

So far I can say without hesitation that you spewing that convention seminars almost ended in brawls and PA hiring armed guards to keep people from asking too many questions...well, I just don't see how you're helping PA book sales in the least.

That's not visiting with pals. That's riding both sides of the fence and making PA look bad while you do it. All I'm doing is trying to help PA authors. What are you doing?

is this an admittance by HB that he's PA's monkey?

emeraldcite

that thread has gotten absolutely nasty. i'll save a copy in case anyone wants to read it after it's down (even though HB absolutely struck down the fact that PA doesn't delete posts...)

emeraldcite

nevermind. they already took it down. searched my history, couldn't find a copy. it was pretty heated.

dgkgoldberg

whoa nellie

given that i read it after 10 pm and posted around 11 Pm regarding that thread it seems that someone at PA works through the night deleting threads

oy

emeraldcite

Re: whoa nellie

i read it, and was just about to go back and save it, but it was gone. too bad, it would have been a nice one to share. it's like a soap opera

Ed Williams 3

I wonder if the PA authors...

....ever wonder why there are "Author Message Boards" in the first place? I see no real publishing house with them, and the overall conduct on those boards and the inanity of some of the subject matter leave a lot to be desired. Discussions about nine dollar royalty checks? Authors reprimanding other authors about posting on other-than-PA bulletin boards? I'm sure PA uses the boards to promote the masturbatory, "us against the world" attitude that helps them fleece new recruits each day, and HB is the chief enforcer should anyone step out of line. I'm really beginning to believe that he must be on the PA payroll in some capacity, and his stupidity would be humorous were it not for the fact that he actively seeks to bring in more authors for his PA masters. Hope he has good legal representation, cause one day some of this shennanigans are gonna come back to haunt him...he may find that being the chief PAvidian carries a heavy price with it...

FM St George

Re: I wonder if the PA authors...

www.publishamerica.com/cg...al/724.htm

I thought that I should publicly THANK you for what you’ve done for me.
All right then; Marcus, thanks
Yianni

HBMarcus

3/11/2004
14:36:04

H. B. Marcus
CRISPY
The Joe Schmoe Show
RE: Hope for Peace

Hey, even though we disagree on some things, I think you have something to contribute to this forum. That's why I tried to get you back on here. I'm just glad PA agreed with me. They must think your idea had merit despite your public opinions. (let's be careful with that axe in the future, shall we?)

SO? Let's see it! What's your marketing strategy? It's a new idea, therefore I'm already a fan. Lay out the entire plan for us and I'm already on board Yianni. Let's make it happen!
YO HO HO!

Yianni Palos

3/11/2004
21:50:51

Please understand that I am not a dreamer who is trying to bring down the moon with a child’s plastic toy-gun. I am a pragmatist. But if I don't at least try it I 'd never know if I can shoot down the moon on the top of the earth.

What I’ve done so far:

I gave more than ten copies to the Media Center Chairpersons at High schools.

Three copies to Professors at Florida State University’s Filmschool, and a copy to the President of FSU, whom I happened to know personally.

I entered The Newbery Awards.

I entered the American Book Awards, and I am even thinking to enter the Nobel Prize for Literature. Am I crazy? Maybe, maybe not. Got to read my novel first to make such a judgment.

I’ve sent a copy to ALA in Chicago, ‘American Library Association’ to the proper Chairperson of their Young Adult Acquisition Department

I’ve sent seven copies to the reviewers for the ALA. These reviewers can not discriminate what they review, even if a book is a Vanity or a self-published book.

A gave a copy to each Public and State Library in Tallahassee, Florida, not only to write reviews about HOPEWATCH, but also to purchase the book through their Acquisition Department.

And I have done something else that might sell 10.000 copies of Hopewatch in a single day.
Ssssssh! It's a secret.

About the author:

Yianni Palos was born in Greece in April, 1942. He came to America in 1974. In 1999 he received a degree of Associate in Arts from Tallahassee Community College. HOPEWATCH & The Art of Peace is his first published novel.
Yianni
"Hopewatch & The Art of Peace?
www.yiannipalos.com

Morticia

3/11/2004
21:55:27

Now this is wondermus guys, fantabulous!!!! Wow, what a fab fam we have here :) *big sighs*

Cindy
FLUTTER BY

HBMarcus

3/11/2004
22:08:09

H. B. Marcus
CRISPY
The Joe Schmoe Show

Do you want to sell books Cindy? Why don't you take a look at the single biggest advantage PA has over traditional publishers and have at it.

Morticia

3/12/2004
00:21:27

Call me a dumb blonde, but I always think you are yelling at me H.B.

Yes, Yianni, you do have something to contribute to this forum, and I am glad you are back, but I want to know your secret :) Forgive my little touch of gin before posting the last post. Your ideas are great and much needed.

Cindy

now maybe it's ME, but that seems to pretty well determine the relationship between HB and PublishAmerica...

sfsassenach

I alternate between pitying these people and wondering how anyone can be so delusional.

One of them sent her book to the Pope, and posted excitedly about the thank you note she received--as if the Pope himself, and not one of his many, many assistants, wrote it.

Most of them live in a dream world.

bluwinteryfox

I saved this thread. I'm not sure how many more posts were put on after I did save it at 10:42 last night, but I do have most of HB's rants.

It really scared me when I read Yianni Palos' post. What did he have to promise to keep on posting?

I have problems believing that everyone believes PA is so wonderful. Even after I got my dollar, I didn't do that stupid dollar or snoopy dance. Yeah, I was happy, but dancing?

And sleeping with their author copies? Please. I was furious when I got mine. I agreed to a dark blue cover and it came with a purple. I waited 2 days and called. I was told on the phone that if it was a printer problem they'd reprint them after I returned one of my copies. I was also told to email author support. I told the gal that I had problems with them replying to my emails. She told me PA was understaffed. Like I didn't know that.

She then suggested I email the gal who did my cover-art. I did and after a week, no reply. I sent it again and guess who replied?? Author Support. They told me that the color of the book doesn't make or sell it. So it's still purple. That was what made me begin looking for other's who were not thrilled with PA.

emeraldcite

They told me that the color of the book doesn't make or sell it

The cover certainly doesn't make a book, but it does sell it. If covers didn't sell, then why would they redesign King's books every few years?

XThe NavigatorX

I haven't been following the recent postings, so I don't know if this has already been talked about, but I just heard from the Mindsight Forum that Lynn Price got banned from the PA board simply because she dared post over at Mindsight. I don't recall her saying anything all that negative about PA, but I have seen her slam Mr. Marcus in response to something he said about her.

She's the one who runs the lending library, all on her own dime. (the website is at www.pa-lendinglibrary.com/ ) I can't imagine how much effort it takes to trek out to the post office every day and mail out all those books, inventory them, and keep the website up to date, etc. Not to mention how much space it must take in her own home. It's very silly of the PA police to ban her.

emeraldcite

her and HB had it out on a post that was ... gasp... deleted (you don't say!). so after their big argument, the post was deleted, she was banned, and HB adds another strike mark on the side of his warship.

James D Macdonald

And I have done something else that might sell 10.000 copies of Hopewatch in a single day.
Ssssssh! It's a secret.

If Yianni manages this, he'll discover that PA doesn't have the ability to produce that many copies.

peachee

PA Convention & Particulars

Before I respond re: PA's convention, mentioned in another note, I 1st want to politely request that I receive no inflammatory comments towards me personally or my choice in publisher. I have an extensive publishing history, which you're more than welcome to peruse @: www.authorsden.com/lindajalexander or www.i-am-america.net . I've been writing for publication for well over 15 yrs, do professional editing for others, & fully understand both my current publisher's strong points & the issues that tend to cause disruption.

That said, let me state simply: presenters were "paid" with the cost of the convention, including hotel stay & all meals, being paid by PA. Presenters will also receive a copy of the tape for their use, a percentage of sales from each tape, & the actual presentation belongs to the presenter, to do w/in future endeavors as he/she wishes.

I was a presenter, so this info comes from an "inside source." I know that my particular topic was well-rec'd. It may have not been directly related to "how to write," but is an issue to which I firmly believe authors should attend, if they expect to grow a repeat audience, rather than a sale here & there.

Blessings -- Linda Alexander:

heart

DaveKuzminski

Re: PA Convention & Particulars

What "strong points" would those be?

As to presentation rights, I don't know of any convention that takes rights in what a presenter states other than the one you participated within. Most do pay for attendance as your publisher did for presenters. However, that did not grant the conventions any rights. Before you state that your publisher didn't take any rights, remember that you stated they provide you with a copy of the tape and a percentage of sales. To do that, they had to take rights.

This brings up my second question. Do you and your publisher have a written contract covering your presentation?

DaveKuzminski

Banning Fracas

Having heard about another banning, I read the PublishAmerica forum and found this:

Jake Green

3/12/2004
22:13:14
Subject: What happened

I have been busy editing and guess I missed something. I received a note from Lynn Price--closing the library--and she that had been banned. Lynn was a good addition to the board. What did she do?
Jess

Josh Stafford

3/12/2004
22:44:44

RE: What happened

Yeah, I heard about it too. I was, and still am shocked. I never heard Lynn be anything but polite and professional on the boards. What's up?

Josh
www.JoshStaffordBooks.com

LBS

3/12/2004
22:51:37

YeeGods!...where have I been! What a shame!

I know the LL has provided authors with some avenues for reviews...(sniff), and just about the time I was going to send a book, too!

Lynn, if you are out there...take care! Gonna miss ya!

Shannon

chickey

3/12/2004
22:56:48

Huh? Don't you have to be really naughty to be banned? Do you think they could have been upset about the library?

Cynthia Hickey
Pursued by Evil
publishedauthors.net/cynthiahickey

Brenweb

3/13/2004
00:04:26

I got an email from Lynn too, who banned her? I didn't know anyone could get banned from a message board.

Brenda

Jackie

3/13/2004
00:51:10

I have never seen a mean spirited post by Lynn. She's a real sweatheart and a valuable member of the board. What happened?
Jackie

marti2003

3/13/2004
01:15:21

Actually, this is not a public message board. It is open for public viewing, but it belongs to the company. So if you worked for say ... Microsoft, and you gave an interview to a reporter in which you said some very unflattering things about Microsoft, I have no doubt Bill Gates would have you in his sights come the next morning. In fact, you'd probably get your last paycheck. Therefore, it is wise to be careful what you say on this message board.

No, I don't know if Lynn said something wrong. I'm just pointing out what kind of message board this is.

HBMarcus

3/13/2004
02:34:07

H. B. Marcus
CRISPY
The Joe Schmoe Show

Really, I'm not kidding this time.

Lynn was doing the lending library for her own personal gain, mostly social. But while she did that she was also trying to cause unrest and secretly trying to turn PA people against each other.

A few weeks ago I tried to expose her for what she was. Since she was so convincing, a few PA regulars actually attacked me and I vanished to regroup. Thursday night she took some bait and I slammed her with help from Tracy sutterer and Lynn Barry. We nailed her!

Whatever line of crap you might have heard from her at the convention and through emails, she was costing you book sales. All her social butterfly nonsense was just to win you over. I waited a long time for her to slip publicly and she did. She is freakin' gone!

I shouldn't take pride in this, but what she was doing was just plain wrong. Many PA people were duped and it really upset me. She slammed PA on other boards and slammed PA authors as well. But they were the same people she was smiling at as she slammed them.

I wish there was a nice way to put it and it may make me look like the bad guy once again, but I hope you all understand that I'm watching out for you all as well as myself. I don't get paid for this but I should after this round.

I should site the fact that PA singled her out and the co-captains even talked to her at the convention. They knew who she was. I don't think they would have said word one to her. She was being pretty sneaky. I'm just glad she took some bait and got trashed where everyone could see it.

I'm over all the thrashing I got over this. Nobody that was fooled by her is going to judged and ridiculed by me. She sounded legit to me too. Legally I can say she cost you all book sales and me included for her own social and financial gain.

Blow it off pirates. @#%$ happens.

melodie

3/13/2004
06:26:54

HB, yes, you should take pride in what you've done. I'm not sure of all the details, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about..
You are a dedicated PA'er, which most of us are and should be. I personally would like to thank you for standing up for what you believe in, and for defending PublishAMerica and the many of us that are dedicated as well.
You "Smelled something rotten in Denmark", and on your insticts followed through on behalf of everyone..Thanks again
Melodie Rogers
"Follow Me"
home.twcny.rr.com/melrogers

Diana Hignutt

3/13/2004
06:59:56

MOONSWORD

Watch what you say folks, we seem to have our own personal gestopo. How nice. Look, I have no idea what Lynn said, but she has never been anything but sincere and professional to me. She was my roomie at the convention,so I guess you guys better find some reason to ban me too. Lynn Price is my friend, and I am very proud to call her that. She instituted the Lending Library to help us gain additional exposure for our books, a whacky little ideal, I know. She got a "social benefit" from it? What the h-ll does that mean? You people, plotting and planning to trick your own into traps, should get a freaking life. This used to be a fun place, now we've got the PA police using entrapment to get people kicked off. I thought you guys were my friends, too, HB, Lynn B. and Tracy. What happened....

Diana Hignutt
No doubt soon to be kicked off...

Kristan

3/13/2004
07:11:51

Huh????? You imply a lot of things about Lynn, HB, but you never say exactly what she is alleged to have done. Why not give us the gritty details?

Kristan
Strange Angels~The Book of Damaris

DaveKuzminski

More on the Banning Fracas

HBMarcus

3/13/2004
03:35:34
Subject: PA will pull this right away!

"His delusional thinking that he is clever at 'outing' people only reveals his paranoia to its full extent. His last posts before it was pulled last night showed how completely off his rocker he became. It seemed the calmer I was, the nuttier he became. I believe his last paragraph was completely capitalized. I'm not certain because I didn't bother reading all of it. I just laughed and wished the poor, sad little man well."

This was a posting on another board by our 'FRIEND' Lynn. Since it was about me I thought everyone should enjoy it.

I just enjoy good wholesome PR.

paulapb

3/13/2004
04:41:16
RE: PA will pull this right away!

I am so out of it! Which one is Lynn? Does she have a picture here somewhere?

paulapb

3/13/2004
04:41:20
RE: PA will pull this right away!

I am so out of it! Which one is Lynn? Does she have a picture here somewhere?

astonwest

Re: More on the Banning Fracas

"That said, let me state simply: presenters were "paid" with the cost of the convention, including hotel stay & all meals, being paid by PA. Presenters will also receive a copy of the tape for their use, a percentage of sales from each tape, & the actual presentation belongs to the presenter, to do w/in future endeavors as he/she wishes."

Thanks for the info, Linda...
I was in fact curious about the details of the arrangements...so the info helped...

Big Daddy West
:hat

CE Winterland

RE: Attorney General's office

Ann,

I'm curious... You stated that only 1 person had registered a complaint with the AG of MD, but that is not actually true....

How did you verify that information? Since 2001 I personally know of at least a dozen people that have made that complaint (myself included), and not just to the AG's office.

If you did verify the quantity of complaints with the AG's office, and their reply was that they only had 1, then they are not maintaining their records, which is quite disappointing, since the reply I received from them was that they would have to wait and collect more information. If they have "filed" previous complaints away, then they are not taking the whole story into account.

Again, just curious - people seem to like to point out these things to me for some reason.

CE Winterland
www.mindsightseries.com

Ed Williams 3

Pretty much the true scoop as to why Lynn is gone....

...from the PA boards, summed up quite well by Violet Towe, fellow Georgian...

"HB was jealous of the attention Lynn Price was getting"

That's what all this boils down to. What surprises me (don't know why it should though) is that Lynn Barry and TS Author helped him to gang up on Lynn.

Over on Absolute Writer, under their 'Bewares Board' they had posted the thread from the PA message board under the heading 'What Happened?' where someone asked why Lynn got banned, others asked the same question.

Then HB (the gestapo for PA) jumped in and posted his little message about how Lynn was out to turn other PA authors away from PA with her lending library. He also stated how Lynn Barry and TS Author helped him.

Jealousy drips from his words. Of course it didn't work as he'd planned because others demanded that he explain what he was talking about. Since I am sure HB (does that stand for 'Hell Bent'?) won't tell them, allow me.

HB is jealous of Lynn because of:

1) People really like her.
2) She was helping PA authors get their books read. (something HB would never do)
3) Lynn was stealing the PA show from HB.
4) Lynn stood up to the almighty HB.
5) Lynn is NOT a follower but a leader. (If everyone doesn't follow the all-powerful HB then they MUST be against him and PA)
6) Lynn has a life outside of PA (all HB has IS PA and his little band of followers)

I could list another dozen reasons why HB had to get rid of Lynn, but I think you can all see the reasons why HB and his two loyal subjects had to attack Lynn and rid themselves once and for all of someone who used her own brain to think with and did not follow the HB path of destruction.

If the powers that be at Publish America can't see what he's doing, then they are just as bad, if not worse, than HB is. What a bunch of clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.