Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone noticed the new genre and SYW yet? Interstices. Sort of different. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
You're not stupid - I asked too when a new forum showed up in SYW. There is a thread in the genre forum that has some definition, but apparently it is things that don't fit established genres or go cross genres. My question in SYW was also how it differed from Other (which didn't get answered.) There are some indications (in the forum) this has been developing since app 1990, is a bit avant garde, etc. I'm not sure yet whether this is something worth looking into for my novel that doesn't fit any genre or not. Time may tell. (BTW - good to see you've got your posting ability back.) Puma

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
(BTW - good to see you've got your posting ability back.) Puma

Thanks. I was having problems accessing anything. Today everything seems fine. <Shrugs shoulders> I don't know what happened.

Getting back to the thread topic - I'm with you, my first question was how does it differ from 'Other'. But I'll check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
:Huh: Where do I fit in as far as this new genre stuff goes? I'm writing a combination of historical fiction and cheese. I get most of my help on AW from the Historical Writings and the generic Story Research sections, and I've toyed with asking in the Romance section on how to fake a romance. Am I writing interstice fiction? And what kind of help could I get there if I am?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Heh, the new forum has got me wondering too. I know that my novel is not strictly historical, though it takes place in a real, historical setting with most of the characters having lived once. Where it differs is the paranormal and fantasy elements I added to it. I've been calling it a historical/paranormal, with the emphasis on the historical, that's why I frequent here. And I think that's where it'll stand.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just FYI tho' you've probably noticed, as well as the Interstices SYW sub-forum in SYW, there's the new Interstices discussion forum under Get With the Genre. You should feel free to ask these questions there, read the sticky threads, and/or PM one of the Interstices forum mods.

-Derek

Deleted member 42

You're not stupid - I asked too when a new forum showed up in SYW. There is a thread in the genre forum that has some definition, but apparently it is things that don't fit established genres or go cross genres.

The best place to look is here.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Medievalist. I checked it out. It sounds like they're echoing a feeling that I think the majority of us have, that being of too much labeling, pigeon-holing, and categorizing art/written work into one particular genre/category or another. It seems we've lost the old idea of just plain general fiction.

I personally don't think this interstitial movement is going to solve the basic problem because the resolution needs to come from the other end - the market, but more than from the general market, it needs to come from the publishing houses and agents who have created this genre tied period in creativity. Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I think

it's what we used to call slipstream or cross genre but renamed to confuse we oldies.

It's like graphic novels are suddenly respectable because the term is now used to mean what we use to call comic or illustrated stories.