First Austen, now Dante...

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Yeah, yeah, we went round after round over the whole Pride and Prejudice and Zombies thing, but it appears Jane Austen's not the only one getting the treatment.

Massive video game publisher Electronic Arts is repurposing Dante's Inferno as a hack-and-slash video game.

The story, such as it is, sounds like a typical Hollywood "take a classic and add explosions" formula:

EA's take still features Dante as the protagonist, but the poet-philosopher is now a hulking veteran of the Crusades. He returns home from war to find Beatrice, the subject of his love and admiration, murdered. When her soul is "kidnapped" by Lucifer himself, Dante dives down to the very depths of hell, armed with Death's scythe, to win her back.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/san-francisco-.html

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Sounds...interesting. o_o

IMO I think it could have been a lot more interesting if they'd stayed a tiny bit truer to the original (which I've read about but haven't read)--I mean, Dante seems like he'd make an interesting-enough protagonist without him having to be some huge hulking Crusades warrior, and without there being a murder or big weapons--but then again I'm not a videogamer. *shrug*

Maybe it'll entice teens into reading some Dante? :D Probably not, but meh.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
BTW, when does poor Virgil enter the picture? Is he the wisecracking sidekick...? (Sorry if it's mentioned in the article, I admit I haven't read that either. :eek: )

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
No idea about Virgil...

And I'm not entirely sure how they'd be able to stay closer to the original, as its much more an observational story. Though I've always thought it would make an awesome HBO miniseries or something.

One of the comments below the article made a somewhat amusing observation about college freshmen heading into some generic world lit class already knowing the nine circles of hell...

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if it gets the kids reading the Inferno, I'm all for it.

And you may laugh, but you'd be surprised how often pop culture hobbies turn into serious scholarly interests even among undergraduates. I've got a student who got into Japanese literature and religion through manga. And another who developed interests in the anthropology of masks in traditional cultures through cosplay. It almost makes up for all those years I had to spend deprogramming kids who'd seen Braveheart.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting because in the V vs Ac thread I wondered about Dante, but though no, surely not. Where would the zombies fit?

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Hey, if it gets the kids reading the Inferno, I'm all for it.

And you may laugh, but you'd be surprised how often pop culture hobbies turn into serious scholarly interests even among undergraduates. I've got a student who got into Japanese literature and religion through manga. And another who developed interests in the anthropology of masks in traditional cultures through cosplay. It almost makes up for all those years I had to spend deprogramming kids who'd seen Braveheart.

Well, I got interested in Ojibwa mythology, culture, and history (and then into Great Lakes history, Iroquoian culture, etc. etc.) after looking at some cheesy horror displays in a wax museum, so...anything's possible! :eek:

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
I've got a student who got into Japanese literature and religion through manga.

I was much the same. I didn't really get interested in the culture until my husband introduced me to anime (I believe the one that really sparked my interest was the historical based Rurouni Kenshin, set in the Meiji era). Once something catches my interest, I become a little obsessed about it...

Anyway, I believe that initial interest in manga and anime eventually translated to my greater interest in Japanese history and culture. Then again, it was probably only a matter of time as I find different cultures around the world intriguing (probably stemming from my unfulfilled desire to be an archeologist).

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I've got a student who got into Japanese literature and religion through manga. And another who developed interests in the anthropology of masks in traditional cultures through cosplay.

Heck, I attribute my interest in Rome to the annual Easter viewings of Ben-Hur as a kid...