"Does nobody see what's going on here?"

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, let's downplay it as much as possible. Of the 50 thousand, (give or take), there were only 100 cases? I find that difficult to believe. As I also find the unusually tight control on the media, and even our elected officials, being exercised during this whole affair hard to fathom. Normally, we'd be inundated with pictures and stories, targeted to open our hearts and pocketbooks for their plight.

Call me cynical.

It's lice; who the hell cares? I know someone had three kids exposed to a lice epidemic a few months ago.

The kids weren't out mixing with the little 'illegals' as FAUXnews so beguilingly puts it; they were exposed to this scourge at their $40,000-a-year elementary school.

What tight control on the media?

Normally we'd be inundated with pictures of minors whose parents didn't agree to allow news orgs to take their photos?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Lice, TB, swine flu, whatever those other creepy-crawly pests were, communicable diseases that we hope they are immunizing them for...

Well, I guess it's okay then. Since the story came from FAUXnews, and they never, ever, get anything right. And the Border Patrol Union is full of it too.

And as to the stories? Ah, yes. Where are the carefully crafted tales, (mentioning only first names), chronicling the harrowing trip from Guatemala and the ride on the Death Train? I can only imagine the reporters agitating to paint that picture. But they aren't.

It just seems odd to me.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lice, TB, swine flu, whatever those other creepy-crawly pests were, communicable diseases that we hope they are immunizing them for...

Well, I guess it's okay then. Since the story came from FAUXnews, and they never, ever, get anything right. And the Border Patrol Union is full of it too.

And as to the stories? Ah, yes. Where are the carefully crafted tales, (mentioning only first names), chronicling the harrowing trip from Guatemala and the ride on the Death Train? I can only imagine the reporters agitating to paint that picture. But they aren't.

It just seems odd to me.

Syn, do you mean it just seems odd to you, or are you making a stronger point? Because it sounds like you're making a stronger point but backing away from it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

It just seems odd to me.

Please don't use 'we,' as I don't think of people who happen to come from other countries as being covered in "creepy-crawly pests" or needing to be immunized before they interact with the impeccably health-conscious of America (the country that cares so much about health it has no blanket national health care).

I'm sure FOX gets stuff right on occasion. I'm also sure they routinely make shit up out of whole cloth, embellish things that are vaguely happening to sound like something altogether else, and attempt to whip their patrons into a frenzy.

Note that 'article' says six anonymous sources, including nurses, allege the government is covering up a very serious health threat. Notice the article doesn't actually NAME that very serious health threat.

It does go on to imply that it's TB, by saying a health care provider says that a nurse told them (so this isn't even a theoretical nurse source - it's hearsay from an anonymous source from a theoretical nurse, not backed up by a nurse. Nice reporting.) there's "definitely" TB there.

Ok, there's TB a lot of places. Oh, look, a quote from the Texas State DoH, saying there are three cases of TB in Austin.

Now look at the "article."

However, nurses at Lackland in San Antonio, said they know of at least four teenagers in their camp who have tuberculosis.

"The nurses are telling us the kids are really sick," the source told me. "The tuberculosis is definitely there."

Notice a nurse DOES NOT SAY THAT to the "reporter." That's the exact same wording as two graphs above (nice copyediting, FOX), based on hearsay from an anonymous source talking about "nurses," which the "reporter" then turns into "nurses... said," which, I'm sorry, but fuck no.

What's the "definitely" based on? Which official diagnostic tests, procedures and etc. have been undertaken?

My source said there are children showing classic tuberculosis symptoms -- spitting up blood, a constant cough and chest pain.

Oh. So the anonymous source, who is not a nurse, is quoting people the anonymous source claims are nurses, diagnosing based on symptoms that could be tied to 100 things. Good plan.

Now, notice this idiocy.

BCFS officials deny that any child at Lackland has been diagnosed with TB and the state health commissoner downplayed the health threat. While confirming their had been three cases of TB, Lakey said it was not unusual, the Associated Press reported.

Those three cases, again, were in Austin.

Dr. Marc Siegel, a professor of medicine at New York University's Langone Medical Center and a Fox News A Team medical contributor, said tuberculosis appears to be spreading through several counties in southern Texas. He told me that some counties are reporting twice the usual average number of cases.

Are we talking about three vs. one and something? That seems not particularly dangerous. Notice there are no counties, times, places or populations named.

"Some of the tuberculosis that comes from Central America is drug resistant," he told me. "It's not easier to spread but it is harder to treat. I'm concerned about that."

This is true, except the only cases anyone has confirmed were in Austin, not where the kids were. So what this has to do with anything, I've no idea, except that the guy was asked about drug-resistant TB so he answered.

And while, TB is not that easy to spread, he warned that all those children living in close quarters could be a ticking time bomb.

Except that none of them were diagnosed with TB in the first place.

Then we have this -

HHS released a statement neither confirming nor denying what the nurses are telling me: Remember, no nurses told him that. "When unaccompanied children come into the Department of Health and Human Services program, they are given a well-child exam and given all needed childhood vaccinations to protect against communicable diseases,” the statement read. “They are also screened for tuberculosis, and receive a mental health exam. If children are determined to have any communicable disease or have been exposed to a communicable disease, they are placed in a program or facility that has the capacity to quarantine."

Ok, they're being immunized and screened.

This is the same HHS that previously denied there were any cases of scabies. When? Were there later cases confirmed? When? They make it sound as if there are very few health problems among the illegals. Nice. Also, uhm, that makes it sound to me as if they're assessing and giving health care to children coming into their care. It says absolutely nothing about any number at all of any health problems, even obliquely. They even downplay the lice epidemic -- just 119 “officially confirmed” cases. Again, it's lice. Also the only thing he has to conflict that is (theoretically, as he doesn't seem to sure of whom he's been talking to) a nurse saying they'd seen that many in one day because they lined up 20 children who had lice. O...k.

This goes on liken the place to both an ER and an orphanage and then we get this gem -

"Lice and scabies are fixable," a nurse said. "TB is the real problem here."

Last I heard, TB was fixable most of the time. That nurse (if indeed it was a nurse, see above), needs some refresher courses, I think.

It's impossible to know the full extent of the communicable diseases that have come and are coming across the border.Or that exist in the U.S. anyplace - except for that HHS says the kids are being screened and given health services and they have numbers, so seems more like that's known than the full extent of communicable diseases in, say, Iowa City. Nurses and other care givers tell me they've been told to keep their mouths shut. Those caught divulging information are subject to immediate dismissal medical professionals fired for violating privacy? Tsk. -- and all my sources said they were told they could also be arrested.

The thing goes on with a member of congress so stupid I can't rightly believe he can spell his own name (golly, random people, even congressional representatives, aren't allowed to wander into medical facilities and talk to minors?! What're them gubmint people tryin' to hide?!), refer to the aforementioned 'orphanages' and 'emergency rooms' as 'camps,' and express horror that facilities holding unaccompanied minors had security.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot with fucking FOX pretending to be any kind of journalistic endeavour. The first time I realized how far they'd go, it was early in the morning a few years ago.

Someone on a bicycle had thrown a small homemade explosive toward a building early in the morning. I read about it online and turned on the news. No one but FOX seemed to be covering it. They were talking about a pipe bomb exploding, taking out windows, midtown being shut down, and cops searching vehicles for other explosives. They had video of cops looking, in the dark, in car windows. They went back to the studio, where the am anchors said they'd have people on site but midtown was shut down - they gestured toward the windows behind them, where all was dark, and said how terrifying this was. I paused and glanced toward my window. It was light out. I flipped around. The other news stations were doing weather and such. I waited until the top of the half hour when the NBC local went to their SECOND story - someone on a bike tossed a small explosive at a building, which knocked a chunk off a planter and cracked a window. They went to their standup reporter, outside, in the daylight, 100 or so feet from the bldg in question, with pedestrians walking by behind her. She pointed down the block and said the area was cordoned off but you could see from where she was standing.

I turned back to FOX. Miraculously, it was still dark outside their studio, located about 1/5th of a mile from the NBC studio. They showed footage of the cops from at night again, implying it was current, and said parts of midtown were shut down because of a terrorist explosion. Yeah.

So, basically, I see zero evidence that there's any government coverup of anything.

See the links I posted earlier in the thread for interviews with some children and their parents involved, as well as some officials, if you're interested in their stories, as you mentioned.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
As to the Fox News report about disease outbreaks from the illegal immigrant children: see cornflake's post above.

As to the OP:

While it's not often vocalized, I have a feeling that there are many who have the same thoughts. But they don't dare speak up because it's not PC.

We will do almost anything 'for the children', no matter what the cause du jour, and that is well known. (That phrase, repeatedly attached to random political or social causes, has become so overused that it's nearly a joke.) She has swerved into another salient point--that money has to come from somewhere, and it might be better spent on our own.

When does enough become enough, and we have to say 'no more'?

I think its perfectly valid to ask how to address issues such as illegal immigration, how to address children coming up from Central America, and how to fund any such resolutions. However, to just
say 'no more'
doesn't answer anything. Which is why I suspect it doesn't sound politically correct.

Do we deport illegal immigrants? It takes time to decide if they qualify for refugee status. It takes money to deport them. There's no guarantee they wont try to reenter the country and start the process all over again.

Do we imprison them? That costs money. Who has room for thousands of new inmates? What do we do with them once they serve their sentence, deport them?

Do we "secure the border"? That's a lot of border to secure, and it'll take a lot money to do it. And it doesn't address what to do about illegal immigrants already in the country, or what to do if people are caught crossing the border (deport, imprison, etc.).

I'd be happy if there were fewer cases of illegal immigration, especially children making the trek by themselves, but I have yet seen any plan that would do anything other than combat the symptoms of the real problem: people have no chance at a good life in their own country, so they come to the U.S.A. to find one. Except for giving money to said countries so they can combat crime and develop their economy to support their own citizens (but lots of people hate that idea because it's spending money on other people's economy and not our own).

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the real problem: people have no chance at a good life in their own country, so they come to the U.S.A. to find one. .

And I think that's the thing. It's illegal if the people in power think to legislate against it. (Which is, frankly, not a very nice thing to do, is it, really? I mean - how would you feel...?. :granny:) but this is a topic that could probably be discussed more profitably with the first nations of most countries. I'm looking at you, Australia - because I imagine there are heaps of Americans already doing the Disapproving Granny Look at America...

ETA: And can I just take a moment here to apologise once again to the rest of the world for Rupert Murdoch? I don't know how we didn't do a better job with him - I really don't. A very difficult child.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
ETA: And can I just take a moment here to apologise once again to the rest of the world for Rupert Murdoch. I don't know how we didn't do a better job with him - I really don't. A very difficult child.

Even the best parents sometimes turn out bad eggs, it is the risk of reproduction.

Also: Anyone know what the youth eqivilent of the disappointed Granny is? Much as I do love my country, it makes me want to shake my head in disgust quite often. Disgruntled youth, or maybe disapproving Aunty since I am actually an Aunt?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also: Anyone know what the youth eqivilent of the disappointed Granny is? Much as I do love my country, it makes me want to shake my head in disgust quite often. Disgruntled youth, or maybe disapproving Aunty since I am actually an Aunt?

Ah, youth! It's probably nothing that can't be fixed with a good dose of castor oil and time.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Ah, youth! It's probably nothing that can't be fixed with a good dose of castor oil and time.

Thought you'd say that. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for this country to get it's act together. I mean, between this and the fact some deeply Catholic countries allow national Same-Sex marriage. We have a lot of catching up to do as a nation that supposedly cares about its citizens right to happiness.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Thought you'd say that. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for this country to get it's act together. I mean, between this and the fact some deeply Catholic countries allow national Same-Sex marriage. We have a lot of catching up to do as a nation that supposedly cares about its citizens right to happiness.

Pursuit of happiness. No one's promised anyone happiness unless they're selling something.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'll rephrase instead.

You have the right to chase the ice cream truck. No one promised you it would stop.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see what's going on.

The elite (.01%) have given the body public someone else to be afraid of, to be mad at for destroying the country...like the .01% don't do that well enough all by themselves. Immigrants are easy targets to drum up outrage to take the focus off the government and their masters. It's an old, tired trick...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
You know what? Adding a bunch of children that need food, housing, education and medical care to the population should create a whole new slew of job openings.

Tax money spent on American salaries to provide for these children will multiply as it is fed back into the economy.

Win-win.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Apparently we have an ocean of money to spend on useless wars. These kids are crossing the border (in large part) because of the consequences of our idiotic drug laws. We've got no moral standing to turn them away.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently we have an ocean of money to spend on useless wars. These kids are crossing the border (in large part) because of the consequences of our idiotic drug laws. We've got no moral standing to turn them away.

We've got plenty of standing.

But, even at that, it does not immediately follow that we should turn them away.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

that's a powerful point.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Certainly there are examples all over the world of children in similar, if not worse situations. We support charities, foundations, Feed the Children, Doctors Without Borders, telethons, etc. To what end?

We also expend resources to stop crimes like murder, bank robbery and arson right here in the US, but to what end? They keep happening anyway. Maybe we should stop spending money on police protection, because it clearly doesn't work.

Nothing seems to help, or change, the original cause for most of the suffering. In the worst cases, the money is intercepted by petty dictators and re-directed towards their own use.

Do you have statistics that suggest things would be no worse if we eliminated all support for these charitable organizations and foundations?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
We also expend resources to stop crimes like murder, bank robbery and arson right here in the US, but to what end? They keep happening anyway. Maybe we should stop spending money on police protection, because it clearly doesn't work.

Do you have statistics that suggest things would be no worse if we eliminated all support for these charitable organizations and foundations?

I hope you're being facetious, as we obviously can't stop trying to lessen criminal acts, and we won't stop sending supplies and assistance in hopes that it will reach the intended recipients. It's more of the people with power punishing those with none. Because they can. I can only hope there is a special place in hell for these tyrants. Obviously, the scorn of the rest of the world is something that has no effect on them, so...what do we do? Keep trying to do the right thing, and hope?

As far as the disease rumors are concerned, I have no doubt that there is some basis in fact. We are talking about the impoverished here, from countries with no concern for their health at all. I can only hope that we really are testing, treating, immunizing, and isolating when necessary--rather than cutting corners and shoving these unfortunate children down the road for some unsuspecting community to handle. Does that seem unreasonable?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score

We 'had' an ocean of money. Things aren't quite as rosy since we've sunk into this endless economic malaise. With only 47% of working age Americans holding full-time jobs, we aren't in a position to open our arms and support thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of children and refugees.

Cruel? Perhaps it sounds that way. Unfortunately, that's what happens when the well runs dry. Everyone feels thirsty. That is also why so many citizens are eying this influx of children with dismay. They are already scraping by, and are well aware that new demands on government support will only mean less to go around.

Our middle class income continues to shrink, rather than grow, partially due to the steady rise in food costs and incremental increases in taxes. It's evident that the only class that is actually maintaining their standards, or even growing, is that dastardly one percent. Even they don't have enough that can be taxed, confiscated, coerced, borrowed, or demanded to cover every need that a large group of unskilled, confused, ill-educated children will require until they can stand on their own. These are hard facts that many don't want to recognize. I'm sorry. Someone has to be the responsible, sensible adult. Or even the equivalent of that nasty banker that won't loan someone money, even though they really, really want it--but could never afford the payments.

It may be expensive to shut down the border, but I don't see how we can not do so. It's possible that the overwhelming needs of those poor people living to our South, pouring over the border in search of the promised land, will bankrupt our nation. Then where will they turn?

Maybe Canada should keep a sharp eye on their borders.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

We 'had' an ocean of money. Things aren't quite as rosy since we've sunk into this endless economic malaise. With only 47% of working age Americans holding full-time jobs, we aren't in a position to open our arms and support thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of children and refugees.

Cruel? Perhaps it sounds that way. Unfortunately, that's what happens when the well runs dry. Everyone feels thirsty. That is also why so many citizens are eying this influx of children with dismay. They are already scraping by, and are well aware that new demands on government support will only mean less to go around.

Our middle class income continues to shrink, rather than grow, partially due to the steady rise in food costs and incremental increases in taxes. It's evident that the only class that is actually maintaining their standards, or even growing, is that dastardly one percent. Even they don't have enough that can be taxed, confiscated, coerced, borrowed, or demanded to cover every need that a large group of unskilled, confused, ill-educated children will require until they can stand on their own. These are hard facts that many don't want to recognize. I'm sorry. Someone has to be the responsible, sensible adult. Or even the equivalent of that nasty banker that won't loan someone money, even though they really, really want it--but could never afford the payments.

It may be expensive to shut down the border, but I don't see how we can not do so. It's possible that the overwhelming needs of those poor people living to our South, pouring over the border in search of the promised land, will bankrupt our nation. Then where will they turn?

Maybe Canada should keep a sharp eye on their borders.

We had an ocean of money after the Clinton administration balanced the federal budget and ran up an unprecedented huge budget surplus, hundreds of billions of dollars, a vast resource left to the next administration, that of George W. Bush.

It was the W. administration that blew through all that surplus cash and far more on useless wars, racking up a massive budget deficit in the process, a vast sinkhole left to the next administration, that of Barack Obama.

One could make the argument that since we just don't have the money, those children must die. We could call it hard reality.

And yet, even when Bush's government was flush with the Clinton budget surplus, there was never any mention of alleviating poverty, of any kind of charity whatsoever towards the poor. Instead the cry was "We have so much money, let's let the rich pay lower taxes!"

One might conclude that the strategy is to make sure the poor suffer and die no matter what our financial condition is, so long as we can rationalize away our responsibility for the least among us.

It seems cruel to tell raped and dying children that we will not help them because we spent all the money we might have used for charity (honest, we might have) on a binge for the rich.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I know it would piss off a lot of people but honestly, Obama should go to other first world nations who don't have as much of an influx of refugees and see if they're willing to take some in or chip in to help them. For instance, Canada has a lot of room. Maybe they can take the lion share of the kids to ease the situation.