Need help on sentence punctuation, please!

annsquared

Hi.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, grammar experts, I'm attempting to write my query and I'm stuck on one sentence:
Abandoning him isn't an option, not after he gave up his childhood to keep them alive on the demon-infested streets of Detroit.

Comma or semi-colon after option? Or just throw an em-dash in there and call it a day? :D

Any help is much appreciated!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I'm no grammar expert, but the comma is fine. As would be breaking it up into two sentences, with a period where the comma is now.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Abandoning him isn't an option, not after he gave up his childhood to keep them alive on the demon-infested streets of Detroit.

Comma or semi-colon after option? Or just throw an em-dash in there and call it a day?

The comma is perfect. A dash will also work. You can't use a semicolon after option, because a main clause doesn't follow. Semicolons need main (independent) clauses on either side.

For that reason, a period after option with leave a fragment. Fragments are okay in novels, but they're more effective when shorter.

annsquared

Hi.
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks so much to you both! I'm over-analyzing a bit since it's 1- a query and 2- in the first paragraph, so I'd rather not give the impression I don't know how to properly punctuate a sentence.

Thanks again!

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score

The punctuation is correct as is, but you might consider a change in verb tense for one phrase. Two options:

1) Abandoning him isn't an option, not after he had given up his childhood to keep them alive on the demon-infested streets of Detroit.

2) Abandoning him isn't an option, not after he giving up his childhood to keep them alive on the demon-infested streets of Detroit.

Using "not after he gave up" implies abandoning him wasn't an option right at that moment after he gave up his childhood, but abandoning him might be an option later.

But using "not after he had given up" or "not after giving up" implies abandoning him wasn't an option from that point onward, which is what I think you mean.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can't use a semi there, as Chase said.

More problematic is what seems like the unclear antecedent you've got going on though - unless the abandoning-or-not one is female.