Not open for further replies.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I've defeated my tendencies toward 'was' and 'thing'. 'Just' and 'really' were easy once I realized they were both often used as adverbs.

Now I'm working on 'some'. Somehow, someway, something like the word some wants to pop up in almost every paragraph. I'm finding it somewhat difficult to avoid. But I'll defeat that evil word someday.

nocturneequuis

Has Loquacious Fingers
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the numerous f-bombs my character drops, I find myself using "soft" a lot or some variant thereof. I'm not sure what this says in a novel about teenaged boys except maybe they're soft around the edges? :D

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I pasted my manuscript into wordle to see which words I overused. The word "Stinkhole" was enormous. Bigger than my characters' names.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look, look...and even more, LOOK! And all its equivalents.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Still and Perhaps, especially when using internal thoughts... I likes them...but sometimes I go overboard and have to weed a few out here and there so its not redundant...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Oh, I have plenty of word crutches. Just, but, hesitate, shrug. A reviewer took me to task for abusing "smirk", so I have since cut back on the smirkage in my books.

One case of word abuse still makes me laugh, and I'm actually kind of proud of it: During first round edits for one of my books, my editor asked me if I would kindly go through and cull the use of a certain word that rhymes with "duck". In ~78,000 words, I used that word 500 times. Verb, adjective, expletive, noun, adverb, you name it...I effing used it.

I reduced it to about 225, but I still laugh at having the dubious honor of being told I used that word too many times in an erotica novel. :D

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh here is another one... SMILED. I have to go back and stop everyone from constantly smiling...its sickening. And changing to smirked does not help...

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a born qualifier. I go through on second draft and remove almost all instances of the following:

Really
Actually
Pretty (much) (certain) (sure)
Fairly
Half
A bit
Kind of
Mildly
Simply
Mostly
Slightly

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Oh here is another one... SMILED. I have to go back and stop everyone from constantly smiling...its sickening. And changing to smirked does not help...

Yep, me too. And I am under strict orders from a particular reviewer to never, ever use the word "smirk" again. Apparently I have already exceeded my lifetime quote of smirkitude, and am forbidden from using it again. :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Look, just, and "more than a little..." are my usual crutches. I plug chapters into Wordle and get ready to cringe. :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Looked is a crutch of mine as well. Seun, what do you do with all your Look(ed)s? Do you stare, glare, gaze, peer, glimpse, survey, admire, ogle, study, scour or just re-work the sentence?

I try to rework the sentence if possible. A few looks aren't a problem. It's when my characters are looking at each other all the time.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
Besides the usuals (Look, was ect) I use several A LOT.

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Actually, I use 'actually' a lot, in writing as well as in everyday conversations.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I'm addicted to "basically" and "essentially" both in print and in speech...worthless padding that seems to make me think I'm sounding more intelligent than I am. As far as constructions, "of course" is used far, far too often. It's my standby for making a passage seem casual and close to a particular character.

Both need a good expunging; of course, a lot of the use is basically subconscious (argh!).

Psybolt

Embrace Your Geekness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
embraceyourgeekness.ning.com
Absolutely.

Seemed is one of the worst for me. In fact, now every time I feel myself writing that... I stop and try to rewrite the section.

Status
Not open for further replies.