Promoting Your Blog: The Basics

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure that most of you know about these things, but since someone asked about this in another forum, I figured that I'd post some basic tips:

I was trolling the forums at Absolute Write today and stumbled upon a post about Blogs VS Website, in regards to being an author.

As an author, I prefer a blog because it's more personal. I have direct contact with my readers, and I enjoy the feedback that I receive regarding my posts.

The author of the post said that he tried blogging, but quickly grew bored of it since no one was reading it. I suspect that the poster didn't do much to let the world know about his blog.

There are a few things you need to do to promote your blog:

1. List your blog in the search engines. You can do this for free at Add Me and Submit Express.

2. Come up with a theme. Unless your readers are you close friends and family, they probably don't care about what your cat did last night, or what you had for breakfast.

3. Find other blogs similar to your own and comment on them. This is a great way to meet like-minded people.

4. Respond to comments on your blog. Let the readers know that you are reading what they take the time to post!

5. Post often. I like to post at least 2-3 times a week.

6. Ping your blog every day! This will let blog sites know that you have a new article posted. You can ping your blog at Ping Goat or Ping-O-Matic.

7. Join a blog surfing site such as Blogexplosion. This takes some work, but I always manage to pick up a few readers.

If you are looking for a blog service, I recommend Wordpress. Blogger is just plain buggy. Both of these hosts are 100% free. I don't see any reason to use any of the pay services.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some great tips. One comment I will make is to be careful of number 7 if you are using adsense. One of my blogs is getting regular enough traffic that I am making some nice money from adsense, and I have never joined a hit exchange program like blogexplosion because it could threaten adsense (against their tos, as I understand it from other websites). So, if you are only selling your book, that is one thing, but if you want to add affiliate links or ads in a subtle manner and make a little extra income too, be careful about some of these programs.

My most successful blog, a Wordpress blog, is doing great because of some helpful articles on SEO and blog promotion. I noticed the blogging Templates Tags and Techies stuff above, but it is 11 pages long :) I am guessing this info is in there, but for anyone like myself who might not have time to go through it right now, and is reading this topic, I thought I would add a few links of some great articles that helped me:

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2007/03/09/how-to-promote-a-blog/

Problogger has a lot of articles of help. and this lists a few.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/

Get your RSS feed available to readers with these links above

http://webloghits.com/index.php/tip...kmarking-sites-to-promote-your-blog-articles/

Social bookmarking like delicious and stumble upon have brought great traffic as readers bookmark your site. Include a plugin with their icons at the end of your posts so readers can easily favorite/bookmark them and share them with others.

Hope this helps...

huggy4ever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleknudson.com
Good Morning FredCharles,
Thank you for your wonderful tips. We greatly appreciate it. I will apply most of those tips when I get a blog. I just haven't gotten a blog yet, but I will soon. Thank you again.

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning FredCharles,
Thank you for your wonderful tips. We greatly appreciate it. I will apply most of those tips when I get a blog. I just haven't gotten a blog yet, but I will soon. Thank you again.

Your welcomed! If you check out my blog, I've expanded these tips and included some links to sites that will help you.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Fred,
I am the writer you referenced above.
Here are my latest thoughts on blogging.
Would I be able to use a blog to reprint old articles and essays of mine for which I have retained the rights?
I've published hundreds of them over the years, in newspapers and magazines, some of them pretty good.
Also book excerpts. I've published twelve.
Kind of like a Greatest Hits Collection.
Plus, one of my books published by Harper Collins is coming out in the ebook format in June. Could this be a place to promote it? Or could I have a link at the various esites to my Blog and vice-versa?
I might also write the occasional new column.
At this point, I see all this as a kind of trying out for an eventual nationally syndicated column.
Any of this rational? Doable?