Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnlee

Reading and writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lylawrites.blogspot.com
I just started A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford. It's pretty good (aside from being a little dark, but that's just how the book was meant to be).

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Fall3n by Laur3n Kat3 tonight. It was... eh? Very slow, predictable plot, and the MC kind of grated on my nerves. I'm not sure whether to read the next one in the series even though it's sitting on my nightstand.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Fall3n by Laur3n Kat3 tonight. It was... eh? Very slow, predictable plot, and the MC kind of grated on my nerves. I'm not sure whether to read the next one in the series even though it's sitting on my nightstand.

Still ticked off about the alleged climax, where the girl protagonist lies helplessly on an altar waiting for her beautiful hero to save her from the big bad antagonist. Being helpless is the sum total of her contribution. :rolleyes:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Still ticked off about the alleged climax, where the girl protagonist lies helplessly on an altar waiting for her beautiful hero to save her from the big bad antagonist. Being helpless is the sum total of her contribution. :rolleyes:

My spoilery reply :) :

I don't necessarily require my female heroines to be kicking butt all Buffy-style, but she was just kind of stupid. I mean you have these "shadows" haunting you your whole life, then you hear that this guy you like has a family who tracks down angels and he sort of looks like he has wings sometimes, and you don't put two and two together? I know that was all meant for the reader to get what was going on, but it just kind of made her look stupid.

Plus the whole thing about her dissolving as soon as they kissed made no sense because he acts all surprised about it when she doesn't vanish, but then he says that in some lifetimes they did get to kiss so it's like it lost all significance. As well as did the whole good angel-bad angel fight - in the end he says angels can't die so I was like WTF?? What is this battle all about then? There was no danger for any of them. At least when you had the battle in Twilight you knew that some of them would get ripped to shreds. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Uh you guys think Fallen was bad... just you wait until you read Torment, it's books like these that make me seriously curse and get upset that they are published and I'm not because I swear my book is way, way better haha

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Tithe by Holly Black and really enjoying it. I have to go to the library tomorrow and see if they have the sequel.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working my way through the Wicked Lovely series after having read it a long time ago, then re-read it recently because I had forgotten! I just finished Ink Exchange, and even though nothing really happened I loved this one so much that I had to immediately hunt down the companion short stories Stopping Time and Old Habits so I could have more. I think I just loved the main characters in this one so much more than those in Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity (I read them out of order because I thought Fragile Eternity came next).

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Tithe by Holly Black and really enjoying it. I have to go to the library tomorrow and see if they have the sequel.

The next in the series, Valiant, isn't really a sequel but a different story set in the same world. Just so you know, because I was surprised when I started to read and there were none of the characters from Tithe. I actually like Valiant better, too!

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the H0use of the Sc0rpion and thought it was v. good-- an interesting look at bioethics, sustainability, internal/external state apparatuses etc.

I'll read R0T and Ru1n (zombie love! Momento Mori's suggestion) next.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The next in the series, Valiant, isn't really a sequel but a different story set in the same world. Just so you know, because I was surprised when I started to read and there were none of the characters from Tithe. I actually like Valiant better, too!
Is Ironside the same way? Because that's the one I got from Borders because it was there and super cheap

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Pink, which was good, but it's the third gay-kids-do-theater-crew-and-try-to-fit-in-slash-find-themselves book I've read in the past year. I enjoyed it a lot tho the MC put up with a little too much evil from her girlfriend for my tastes.

Now reading The Everafter--a girl is trapped in a weird afterlife, reviewing memories of all the things she ever lost, trying to figure out how she died. Very keen to find out how it all ends up! :D

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is Pink available in the US now? I've been wanting to read that one. :D

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Picked up The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells. It's a tradeback and the tiny, five sentence blurb got me to buy it however, at over a hundred pages into the almost 300 page novel I'm left feeling that I was cheated lol The blurb made is sound intriguing, intresting... and yet... it's not so far.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Is Ironside the same way? Because that's the one I got from Borders because it was there and super cheap

Ironside is the sequel to Tithe. You can probably read it on it's own but it'll make more sense if you read them in order.

Last edited:

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Is Pink available in the US now? I've been wanting to read that one. :D

Yep ~ it's available in the US :)

Picked up The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells. It's a tradeback and the tiny, five sentence blurb got me to buy it however, at over a hundred pages into the almost 300 page novel I'm left feeling that I was cheated lol The blurb made is sound intriguing, intresting... and yet... it's not so far.

Gosh. I was SO bored in that book. I think I only kept going b/c someone said it got really good in the end.

But. By the time I got to the end I was so disengaged that it had very little impact on me.

Good luck :)

Ironside is the sequel to Tithe. You can probably read it on it's own but it'll make more sense if you read them in order.

I have only read IRONSIDE. I didn't realise it was part of a set when I read it and it read like a stand-alone to me...

I recently read SPLIT by Swati Avasthi. which I thought was pretty much amazing. I had wanted to read it ever since reading the first chapter on Amazon. Loved how convincingly she handled the male POV.

And ~ currently reading DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver.

but don't know how much more of it I will read :/ I am thinking it is not for me...

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Just finished the first Hunger Games book, and waiting to receive the second from the library :)

I am sooo in love with this series. Couldn't put the first book down at all, read it through the night, and slept through my lectures the next day.

I almost wish that I hadn't read it yet, just so I could have the satisfaction of discovering the series over again! Anyways, can't wait for the movie adaptation, even though I don't really like the choice of the male leads...

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score

I started wondering if Valiant really was a sequel after reading a synopsis on my library's website! It's good to know before I start reading it that the characters are completely different. I have Ironside already (found it cheap in a 2nd-hand shop) but I think I'll go ahead and read them in order.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Gone by Michael Grant and I don't like it. Sam is the biggest Gary Stu I've ever read. He's the perfect male as defined by todays society.

The only characters I give a damn about are Lana, Diana and Computer Jack. They actually feel real to me.

free_cashews_on_me

Insanium in the cranium
Registered
Reaction score
Between a rock and a hard place. Sort of cozy here
Ugh, Gone is so terrible. There was no voice to it, no suspense. It felt like a James Patterson book which, in my mind, is NOT a good thing.

And I'm reading Freefall by Mindi Scott. Pretty good so far. Good characters, good plot, good conflict. I like it.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score

I read that a few months ago and found it pretty boring. I thought the characterisation was well done but the story moved really slowly, and the ending (not to give anything away) was pretty cliched and predictable.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I started wondering if Valiant really was a sequel after reading a synopsis on my library's website! It's good to know before I start reading it that the characters are completely different. I have Ironside already (found it cheap in a 2nd-hand shop) but I think I'll go ahead and read them in order.

Yeah, I learned after the fact that Ironside is a more proper sequel to Tithe, although it has characters from Valiant too. But I liked Valiant the best of the three. The Wicked Lovely series did the same thing!

Ugh, Gone is so terrible. There was no voice to it, no suspense. It felt like a James Patterson book which, in my mind, is NOT a good thing.

Oh, no! This is next on my list after I finish the Wicked Lovely series because it got so many recommendations. Oh well, I'm gonna read it anyway.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So I finished The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells and yup the entire read was pretty boring. I did like the characters and thought their personalities were well thought out, but even though the ending is kind of tradgic, I honestly wasn't really pulled in enough to feel upset, or care about what happened. I was just kind of like "oh. that sucks" where I should have been near tears, kleenex in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.