Transferring Fonts from One Computer to Another

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Is it possible to transfer, what I'm guessing, are default fonts from one computer to another? There are a few fonts on my desktop, which is Windows Vista, that I would also like to have on my laptop, which is Windows 7. Could I actually transfer the fonts, or would I have to buy them (technically, again) in order to have them on both computers?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong OS. It's a Vista and a 7.

EDIT 2: Also I don't think I can "Copy" and "Paste" them either. I've tried that. It didn't work. The "copy" function isn't grayed out or anything. However, the file seems like it won't attach for some reason.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Which font is it that you are trying to snag from the fonts folder?

Just a few. I was able to find them online from a download thing. However, I wanted to try to see if I could get them from the computer first. But that doesn't look like it's going to happen. So,......yeah.

Here is the website that I found them from:

http://www.fontpalace.com/

http://www.azfonts.net/

Those were the two sites; they look reliable. So, I think it's okay. But at the same time, these are two font sites that I haven't used before personally. So, I'm still a little wary of it.

I dont have Vista, but I hear it only works if you use edit > copy.

I don't think it will let me do that. I think I'm just going to get them from the two above sites.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
You only need to go to where the files are stored. Moving fonts is pretty easy.

In Vista, Go to the start menu and choose Computer. Go to C:\, then to the Windows Folder.

Next go to the Fonts folder. It may take a bit for everything to show up on the screen.

Select the fonts you want to copy and drag them to flash drive, SD card or whatever.

Plug that flash drive into your Windows 7 computer. Go to the start menu and choose Computer. Go to C:\, then to the Windows Folder.

Next go to the Fonts folder. Copy the fonts from the flash drive to the 7 fonts folder.

WARNING: don't overwrite duplicate fonts.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
In Vista, Go to the start menu and choose Computer. Go to C:\, then to the Windows Folder.

Next go to the Fonts folder. It may take a bit for everything to show up on the screen.

Select the fonts you want to copy and drag them to flash drive, SD card or whatever.

Plug that flash drive into your Windows 7 computer. Go to the start menu and choose Computer. Go to C:\, then to the Windows Folder.

Next go to the Fonts folder. Copy the fonts from the flash drive to the 7 fonts folder.

WARNING: don't overwrite duplicate fonts.

I've tried that. It didn't work.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
What happened when you did this? I do it all the time to work on files I need to package up into a pdf for a client or to work on website graphics on another computer.

Did you get an error? Did it ask for admin rights?

I'm one of the administrators already. If I remember correctly it said that it couldn't place the font there or something like that, and there was a red "no" sign on the font's outline/shadow thing when I had it clicked for dragging and was dragging it.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Have you tried just double-clicking a font file while it's on the flash drive plugged into the new machine? I think under 7 it offers to install the font if you do that.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I can't even get it on the flash drive.

Ah. That's odd. Some kind of permissions issue in the Vista fonts folder? If you look in whatever Vista's version of folder options for the fonts folder is, is it Read-Only or something, or are the individual files read-only?

Maybe try emailing it to yourself as an attachment?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. That's odd. Some kind of permissions issue in the Vista fonts folder? If you look in whatever Vista's version of folder options for the fonts folder is, is it Read-Only or something, or are the individual files read-only?

Maybe try emailing it to yourself as an attachment?

It doesn't look like Read-Only. It looks like a normal font folder. I'm not sure why it won't let me do it.

E-mailing is the only thing that I haven't tried yet.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
It doesn't look like Read-Only. It looks like a normal font folder. I'm not sure why it won't let me do it.

E-mailing is the only thing that I haven't tried yet.

What do you mean by not let you do it? Is there an error message or what happens when you try to move the file. You may have to copy them to the desktop or another folder first, if it won't let copy directly.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by not let you do it? Is there an error message or what happens when you try to move the file. You may have to copy them to the desktop or another folder first, if it won't let copy directly.

When I try to do it by right clicking and copying, it won't do it anything, and by that, I mean I don't get an error message but the file doesn't "attach" either. However, when I try to drag and drop to a USB drive, what happens the paled-out file that I'm dragging has a red "No" symbol(red circle with line going diagonally) and the message that the file can't be moved here.

I don't think it will let me copy and paste to anything at all, even to other folders on the computer.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
You probably have to change permissions on the old folder. Take ownership of it through the properties>security tab>advanced button and then have your way with it.

I always steal fonts from computers I work on :D