• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] OnlyOneChapter.com

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
You be in the minority I reckon when everyone joins well on offer. Sounds like I don't know what from you - jealousy ? Jump in while the chance and offer is there. Give it a try - The email sounds great oportunity

Heavens to Murgatroyd, son, if you're going to shill an expensive writer's site, learn to write!! It's called the King's English; you may have heard of it.

Sheesh. It's plain the fine art of sockpuppetry has fallen on hard times. Where is Shari Lewis when we need her? Lambchop, Charley Horse... Gone, baby, gone...

Caro

Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh. It's plain the fine art of sockpuppetry has fallen on hard times. Where is Shari Lewis when we need her?

::snerk:: Good one.

You maybe need to and take a look at how you're going about writing. Try clicking on the link like I did and see. Aren't we in this game together? Come on.

This really does sound like a sales pitch, y'know. Our friend Rubic claims to have no interest, but I feel like I'm being pressured to take that extended warranty at the electronics store.

Gravity

Registered
Reaction score
this really does sound like a sales pitch, y'know. Our friend Rubic claims to have no interest, but I feel like I'm being pressured to take that extended warranty at the electronics store.

"Sign right here, Mister Smith. Come on, now. If you died tonight you wouldn't want your wife having to sell herself on the street to make the rent, now would you? That's right...press hard now...you're making three copies..."

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Crap, I didn't get back fast enough to take advantage of the offer on www.whaddoyareckon.com and I know many different literarly agents and editors at major publishing houses who have personally told me they have stopped viewing any manuscripts from anywhere but www.whaddoyareckon.com after finding this wonder technology.

I really hate that I was tardy in finding out about their five second technology. I should have acted when the oppurtunity presented itself. Now I will find it extremely hard to ever get anyone to read myself.

In fact, my wife recently told me she was going to stop reading my stuff unless I posted it on www.whaddoyareckon.com and now even she will refuse to deal with me.

I'm in such a pickle 8(

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Heavens to Murgatroyd, son, if you're going to shill an expensive writer's site, learn to write!! It's called the King's English; you may have heard of it.
I would guess from the posts that English is not Rubic's native tongue. That's not a slam, just an observation.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
You be in the minority I reckon when everyone joins well on offer. Sounds like I don't know what from you - jealousy ? Jump in while the chance and offer is there. Give it a try - The email sounds great oportunity
Kids, I just saw this person on another site. They were run out. Ignore this person - this is spam.

Gravity

Registered
Reaction score
I would guess from the posts that English is not Rubic's native tongue. That's not a slam, just an observation.

That's okay, I take no offense. But I still maintain if I was running a writer's website (heaven forfend) and needed a sockpuppet/shill (double heaven forfend), marketplace logic would dictate I put my best foot forward. That would, of neccesity, mean that my puppet write well.

TheEnd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SullivanAuthor.com
Crap, I didn't get back fast enough to take advantage of the offer on www.whaddoyareckon.com and I know many different literarly agents and editors at major publishing houses who have personally told me they have stopped viewing any manuscripts from anywhere but www.whaddoyareckon.com after finding this wonder technology.

I really hate that I was tardy in finding out about their five second technology. I should have acted when the oppurtunity presented itself. Now I will find it extremely hard to ever get anyone to read myself.

In fact, my wife recently told me she was going to stop reading my stuff unless I posted it on www.whaddoyareckon.com and now even she will refuse to deal with me.

I'm in such a pickle 8(

Havlen, I'll tell ya what I'll do. I'll open the doors up and accept submissions for the next 30 minutes. You may notice a username and password needed, but don't despair. Username= another Password= SCAM (case sensitive of course). Once posted you will be required to pay the very small fee of 100 Roman Gold for our prestigious editing service. After that, well, you'll be beating the agents away with a stick. You're welcome! ;)

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Havlen, I'll tell ya what I'll do. I'll open the doors up and accept submissions for the next 30 minutes. You may notice a username and password needed, but don't despair. Username= another Password= SCAM (case sensitive of course). Once posted you will be required to pay the very small fee of 100 Roman Gold for our prestigious editing service. After that, well, you'll be beating the agents away with a stick. You're welcome! ;)

Sweet deal! But I can't get my money converted to roman that quick. Would it be okay if I just left you my bank account number and my ssn and you can pull the needed money out of my account directly?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I know, I know, beating a dead horse here, but I was away doing Other Stuff this afternoon.

Listen. YADS is an old term. It dates back to the SFRT on GEnie. Anyone remember GEnie?

Why is it an old term? Because we've been seeing display sites rise and fall for years. The first one I recall was in 1991. That's just about forever ago in Internet years.

Why can't you name the successes of the original bunch of display sites? Because as Rocky said to Bullwinkle, "That trick neve works."

Let's look at the claims here:
The author is ..

1. being pro - active in promoting his or her work

I expect they meant "proactive," but never mind that now. No, the author isn't.

To whom is the author "promoting" this work? To readers? No. Readers aren't looking for manuscripts. They're looking for books that were selected, edited, published, and in bookstores. That's the publisher's lookout. Anything the author does or doesn't do by way of promotion is lost in the noise in comparison with that.

Is the author "promoting" the work to agents or editors? (The word they're looking for is "submitting.") No, he or she isn't. Agents and editors are very clear about how they want to see manuscripts -- check their guidelines -- and searching around on websites for Yet More Slush isn't it.

If they need manuscripts, their desk (and the chair beside their desk, and the floor beside that chair) is covered with manuscripts addressed to them by name, submitted in the form they requested.

2. major alternative to sending unsolicited manuscripts with the inevitable rejection

Rejection is inevitable only if your manuscript sucks. Of course, 98% of the time that's the case. But for that other two percent, I promise that you will sell. Maybe not to the first place you submit it to, maybe not to the second, but it will sell. (And long before you reach the bottom of the barrel, too.)

Here's the one place where YADS beats submitting your book in accordance with agents' or publishers' guidelines: Since it was never submitted anywhere, it'll never be rejected. If you're that intent on never getting rejected, leave your manuscript in your desk drawer and donate the ninety pounds to your favorite charity. No nasty rejections! And you'll have made the world a better place.

3. knowledge that publishers are viewing their work

No, they aren't.

Or, maybe they are. Maybe you'll get a letter from PublishAmerica offering to give your manuscript the chance it deserves. But don't count on it.

4. super potential opportunity to get their work published

Name three that have been published, ever, from any display site. Remember there have been display sites for more than 15 years.

(Note: for Publisher's Marketplace, you'll find sales, but you'll find that where there are sales, at least two out of the following three things are true: There's an agent involved who is (or is eligible to be) a member of AAR; the rights being offered are other than first print publication; and the author has been previously published by a legitimate commercial press.)

5. simple concept - only one chapter and synopsis of their book, online"

I've seen 'em simpler than that.

Listen: Here's why editors aren't buying manuscripts off display sites: The manuscripts weren't submitted to them.

Seriously, you'd have better luck getting editors to read your manuscript (and probably a better shot at getting a request for the full) by going to certain subway stops in New York City and pasting individual pages on the walls.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
(leans back in chair, props boots on table, cleans nails with stiletto)

When are these sites going to get around to bribing editors to cruise the place every week or two? It would do wonders for their marketing campaigns.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
For those wondering, it is made with 100% pure 1's and 0's with no artificial additives.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The email says the publicity will be huge.

I recently got an email that said there was a discrepancy in my bank details and that I should click on the link so that they could sort this out for me...

Oh, and then there was one about some Russian chick who was desperate to meet me, got my details off a dating site that I don't remember signing up to (must be going prematurely senile).

Oh, and lest I forget, there was also this home job offer. 200K a year for sitting on my arse at a computer for a couple of hours a week transferring money orders (probably from my own account).

If the email says it's so, it must be so.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
The author is ..

1. being pro - active in promoting his or her work
This is getting repetitive. That list was posted twice on one page of a thread. We didn't believe it the first time. And those spaces and that blasted hyphen are really getting on my nerves. How can we trust that site if their sock puppets don't know how to spell "proactive" and don't know how to hyphenate?

Listen. YADS is an old term. It dates back to the SFRT on GEnie. Anyone remember GEnie?
Wow. The concept goes back to GEnie?!
:Wha:

And of course, display sites still don't work.
:Shrug:

There's even a nice wrap-up on Writer Beware:
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/services.html#Manuscript

TheEnd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SullivanAuthor.com
Sweet deal! But I can't get my money converted to roman that quick. Would it be okay if I just left you my bank account number and my ssn and you can pull the needed money out of my account directly?

That will be just fine, Havlen. That is actually or preferred way to do business. If that doesn't work, you could always just sign a blank check and send that along as well. Remember, we here at www.whaddoyareckon.com care about the aspiring author. The nominal fee of 100 Roman Gold is merely to recoup operating costs such as the $19/year it takes to register the website and such. Our guarantee: if you aren't published within three months, we will automatically send your manuscript to Publish America, where you can live out your un-edited dreams. ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goody! There's still a smidgen of a show! :popcorn: and this yummy organically digital popcorn of Havlen's. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
That will be just fine, Havlen. That is actually or preferred way to do business. If that doesn't work, you could always just sign a blank check and send that along as well. Remember, we here at www.whaddoyareckon.com care about the aspiring author. The nominal fee of 100 Roman Gold is merely to recoup operating costs such as the $19/year it takes to register the website and such. Our guarantee: if you aren't published within three months, we will automatically send your manuscript to Publish America, where you can live out your un-edited dreams. ;)

Wow, that's awesome. You should put that in your advertising! I hear Publish America is well on their way to becoming the biggest publisher in America and it can be very difficult for new aspiring authors to get their attention! I have a friend whose brother has a friend that was published by Publish America and he said they were one of the best publishers in the business!