• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wordflowers Publishing

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
While perusing the web for freelance gigs this morning, I stumbled upon this posting:

Wordflower's Publishing Company is currently in need of writers and author's for its Christian and Children's Literature books. Writers and authors are needed for its early reader chapter books for children ages 8 - 12.

Okay, so this is a work for hire job? Fair enough, considering this was filed in the "freelance writing" category of the job board Indeed. Of course, the fact that they misspelled the name of their own company in this job posting is already not filling me with a lot of confidence, but whatever, I've got time. I'll read on. I find this:

Wordflower's offers several publishing programs that can be paid in installment payments.

Wait, "installment payments?" Are they saying what I think they're saying? Horror creeping up on me, I read on. A little further down, I find this:

Total cost is $845 per book. Can be paid in up to two installments within sixty (60) days.

My stomach sinks. Yes, they are saying exactly what I thought they were saying above. Isn't it nice how they stick that in there right at the end?

This is not work for hire. This is not "freelance writing." It's not even a a legitimate publisher. It's a good-old-fashioned vanity press. How in the hell they think this qualifies a "freelance writing job" I'll never know. It's bad enough that they seem to be clueless about how real publishing works, they're also clueless about how real freelance writing works. Or what freelance writing is.

It's bad enough that aspiring authors are suckered into vanity presses--not all of them are looking to make a living off their writing. But the idea that people legitimately looking for paying writing gigs (such as myself), many of whom are probably already struggling to get by, have to be subjected to this nonsense really hits a sore spot with me.

But just to be sure, I google them, and find their free Weebly site. Their web site has no books, no authors, no submission information, and is decorated with a bunch of generic clip art. Their founder seems to think her volunteering to read to kids at the library qualifies as a publishing credential. But hey, at least they have god on their side.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
The president and founder says she is a graduate of the Institute of Children's Literature. I had zero idea what that was, so I looked it up and it contains the tagline on its site: "Don't wait for our site to get finished ... start making your dreams come true NOW!"

Huhhh...

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The president and founder says she is a graduate of the Institute of Children's Literature. I had zero idea what that was, so I looked it up and it contains the tagline on its site: "Don't wait for our site to get finished ... start making your dreams come true NOW!"

Huhhh...

Yeah, that had me going "wha?" But apparently they're retooling their site.

They've been around for decades, but they are a writing course, not a publishing course. Graduating from there in no way makes someone qualified to publish someone else's work.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I graduated from puppy daycare. Can I start up a vanity press?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd send a quick email to job site exposing the post as not being a job, although they may ignore you.

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
They aren't clueless, they're running a scam, and I've noticed how often scammers of all stripes target Christians by pretending to be Christians. There seems to be a belief out there among scammers that Christians are more naive than your average person.

They are, as long as you say you're Christian too.

Except the ones like me who are too cynical for that.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Back in July, the publisher noted my humble OP and posted this in response on her blog:

In an effort to extend affordable publishing services to friends, family, and those who are new to publishing their own work, Wordflowers offered a low cost solution on indeed to anyone wishing to partner with us to produce their own finished craftsmanship and to also build our title listings...Although small, we are growing and look forward to venturing into large realms of publishing in the future....As of today, I am the only published author for my company Wordflowers but am willing to mentor & help anyone who is struggling with the profession trying to produce their own finished craftsmanship. People who work with Wordflowers need to be teachable and able to understand the ups and downs associated with the business. This includes the time that it takes to make your title readily available to your audiences as well as the monetary action needed to produce superior work quality. We believe in publishing the truth of God's Word and refuse to badmouth anyone, but to speak the truth in love to everyone. May our actions speak louder than our words forever. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Ms. Misha Benjamin
Owner, Wordflowers
[email protected]
www.wordflowers.com

That's super cool and all, but it still doesn't explain why it was posted under "freelance writing." However, this isn't a point I'm going to belabor.