• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fireborn Publishing

adrinyme

Adri Nyme
Registered
Reaction score
In the wake of Silver Publishing's crash and burn, some of the former staff members have created a new publishing company, Fireborn Publishing. I haven't found much on it -- their website is blank at this juncture: http://www.firebornpublishing.com

They do have a blogspot: http://firebornpublishing.blogspot.com/

And a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fireborn-Publishing/694697533909140

Submitted without comment -- they're asking for donations for startup capital and calling themselves a "cooperative community" with readers as investors. Readers can purchase memberships for future discounts and free books (anywhere from $10 to $500 memberships for a variety of discount/annual free book tiers).

Staff, from their FB page:

Administration/Formatting- Dawn M Leeper (writing as Brenna Lyons)
EIC- Kathy Kozakewich
Acquisitions Editor- Alison Mann
Line Editors- Jamie D. Rose, Monti Shalosky, Liz Bichmann, and Lisa Manuel
Marketing Director- Penny Pepper
Art Director- Allison Cassatta
Cover Artists- Allison Cassatta, Vanessa Hawthorne, and Jess Buffett
Distribution Manager- Brittaney Leeper

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I've given Fireborn a try despite the fact they are a startup--this isn't something I'd usually do but I've worked with several of the other people here at various houses. So far things are good, royalties payments are on time and the editing is good which isn't always the case at a new house.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody else submitted to Fireborn? Looking for some more information about this publisher.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Those covers are very inconsistent. Some are nice, but others are just awful. It makes me wonder what kind of quality control Fireborn has. If covers can range from horrid to passable, then what must the editing look like?

Authors who have just released books in Jan. and Feb. have already fallen to the 500k mark on Amazon. The blurbs aren't very exciting. I didn't bother looking inside to check the quality of editing. Rebecca Royce appears to be the only author getting halfway decent covers and lots of reviews.

There's nothing here that suggests Fireborn is worthy of the 60% cut they take. You can do better.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput, akaria. Some good points.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As they are a coop there is probably going to be more variation than a more "top down" publisher. That can be a plus or a minus depending on what authors are looking for.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by coop, veinglory? Can you explain?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, veinglory. Interesting read.

One thing I noted, though, was the article defines cooperation publishing as the author having to pay money to be published. Nowhere on the Fireborn site does it say that the author pays towards the cost of publishing? In fact, they state that the author never has to pay for anything.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is not a well defined category --- I am pretty sure Fireborn is not fee charging but sometimes with coops authors provide or swap things like covers. I don't know anything about Fireborn per se

Last edited: