• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lupia Literary Agency (Tony Lupia)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, they're embarrassed. They realise that they were taken for a ride, after they told everyone how wonderful the experience was. After they bragged about their new agent. It's hard to accept that, let alone tell other people.

Or, people aren't actually victims. They caught on before they could be taken in. The trouble is, the people who were taken in don't want to hear it, and they snap back.
"You're so negative, you don't trust anyone."
"What did he ever do to you?" and, the ever-popular, "You're just a jealous meany, 'cause he thinks I'm the special one."

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I talked with one person he scammed. For that person it is an issue of embarrassment. Who wants to admit to family and friends they were taken in by a scam artist? Another victim knows the deal about the unscrupulous Mr. Lupia but is holding onto the hope he will do the right thing and sell the book. Most people want to see good in others instead of ugliness.

Within the past two weeks (and thanks to this forum) the City of Kettering was advised of Mr. Lucia’s immoral behavior. Without this forum there was no way to know how many people he has scammed. Hopefully the powers that be in Kettering will investigate and take measures to discontinue Mr. Lupia’s classes.

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohmigosh! That is so cool about Ketting getting the heads-up. I had not followed up on this because I worried about not having personal evidence. I wasn't taken in by his scam (other than sitting through one of his bogus workshops last fall), and I wasn't sure how much conjecture would get me in terms of informing people.

AphraB

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or, people aren't actually victims. They caught on before they could be taken in. The trouble is, the people who were taken in don't want to hear it, and they snap back.
"You're so negative, you don't trust anyone."
"What did he ever do to you?" and, the ever-popular, "You're just a jealous meany, 'cause he thinks I'm the special one."

This was my experience when I tried to warn a goup member. She was much nicer than this, but she really didn't want to hear what I had to say.

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you AphraB for having the courage to ask questions about Mr. Lupia and begin this discussion. The number of people I know he scammed can be counted on one hand. This forum gave others the opportunity to come forward, and I am shocked to discover what he has done to so many people. If by chance the City of Kettering does not pursue this, I hope anyone interested in taking his classes Googles his name and finds this information. Perhaps we can save others from falling prey to him.

Victims were told to keep quiet, and they did out of embarassment and humiliation. The scams are hurtful, personal and costly. Because no one spoke up, Mr Lupia was able to continue on. If there is anyone else out there who has fallen prey to him, I hope they have the courage to post here and tell their story. On this forum he or she is among friends.

Tony Lupia, shame on you.

Albethere

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me all the above complaints made, are by people who have no doubt they are in the right, and deserve payment. I seriously doubt any physical threats were made, but if they were, well, that would make me even more angry, and determined to make everyone including the authorities aware of his practices.

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe he has threatened harm to anyone physically, but he has harmed his victims mentally by playing on their hopes and dreams. Part of the bargain with Lupia is to not tell anyone what he is doing for you (selling your book). It's a secret. By the time the victim figures out Lupia's angle, it's too late. The money is paid up front. The victim has told family and friends they have an agent that will sell their book. Lupia has their money and will not return their phone calls.

Dean01

Registered
Reaction score
Tony Lupia is still at it. He claims to have "play along" editors but when they are contacted, have never heard of Tony or his agency. For me, he gave me an editor that only takes GLBT for my Human Interest piece and for another classmate, a religious editor for her suspense/mystery piece. He claims to visit all 30 (2 per classmate) editors and then compiles their feedback but it's impossible and the feedback is clearly cut and paste. Most of it isn't even relevant. He trolls for victims in his classes. His victims can be anyone who would benefit him financially (do work for him and not get paid, nonprofits he can scam, etc). Nothing can be found on Lupia Literary Agency NOR Tri-L Corporation except what he has posted and complaints. He is a scam artist. STAY AWAY.

Dean01

Registered
Reaction score
Dear M. XXXX:

I don't recognize Mr. Lupia's name off-hand. However, he appears to have given you incorrect information.

We are a publishing company, not an editorial service, and we only publish LGBTQ literature.

Also, I am female and if Mr. Lupia had had any dealings with us, he would know that.

Regards,

Len Barot
Selections Director, Bold Strokes Books, Inc
Writing as Radclyffe and L.L. Raand
[email protected]
www.boldstrokesbooks.com
PO Box 249, Valley Falls, NY 12185
(Ph)518-677-5127 (Fax) 518-677-5291

Dean01

Registered
Reaction score
I made phone calls. One of my publishers did not exist and the other had no Idea what I was talking about.

I knew the whole thing was bull shit when he handed out the lists for everyone. Let's just say there were 15 people in the class and each sent out proposals to 2 play-alongs. That meant Tony had to visit 30 publishers to get the feedback. Plus there was a second page to the 2 that he picked out for each person and said we could send them to everyone on the second page. When I got home from class that night I googled both of mine. One I could not find anything on so was pretty sure she did not exist and the other was a publisher in Ohio who only publishes Religious books. Why would a Religious publisher have anything to do with someone who writes Murder-mystery?

I then looked up who he had you sending yours to and saw the LBGUQ designation.

I knew for sure it was all bull shit. I just wondered how he was going to pull it off with the class. I knew the publishers would throw everything in the trash when they received it because of the way he told us to write it, so no problem there. So what he does is write the feedback himself and says he paraphrased what the publishers told him becuase they are too busy to answer individually. And it wasn't a critic at all - it was a cut and paste job of a bunch of questions that had no bearing about the book. WHAT A SCAM!

When I told him I was going to call the publishers myself because I was not satified with my response was when I got the email from him becuase he was scared I would find him out.

Dean01

Registered
Reaction score
Tony Lupia

A quick phone call to the School of Advertising Art finds that Mr. Lupia is no longer employed there as of Fall 2012.

AphraB

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I wish the people I used to talk to here in the Columbus area would stay away from him. Maybe they have by now. I don't know. Got tired of being Cassandra. I am so sorry that Lupia has wasted your time, Dean01. thank you for your follow up. Hopefully when people Google Tony Lupia, their inquiries will bring them here.

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately Lupia's still at it

Even though I alerted the City of Kettering to his deceit and scams, he is still is "teaching" classes at Rosewood Arts Centre. I just heard he has summer classes scheduled for June, July and August. I can't believe the city is letting him continue. I'm sorry, Dean01, you had to deal with him. His class is a total waste of money and time and sets one up for victimization.

I recently attended a workshop where I talked with a real literary agent. I told her about Tony, and she was appalled to hear about his antics and what he teaches. A published author who was speaking at the workshop overheard me talking about him. He is known on the "published authors world" as a scam artist and a person of no character.

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
Tony's dishonesty has caught up with him

quotemarkleft.png
Telling the truth is the right way to act. Living with lies is harder than living a truthful life. Being truthful and honest is important.
quotemarkright.png

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthony-E-aka-Tony-Lupia/365521920215852?ref=stream

whatanovelidea

Registered
Reaction score
FYI everyone--I received information that Tony is no longer "teaching" at Rosewood Arts Center in Kettering. I don't receive the Parks and Rec catalog (I am now a Michigan resident) but a friend of mine who still lives in the Kettering area informed me that his classes are not listed in the spring catalog. Whoo hoo!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further sign of Mr. Lupia. Anyone come across him recently?