Words that should be banished

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever there is dulce de leche ice cream
My son keeps saying 'Fail' and it drives me up the wall. :)

Easily cured: Start saying it all the time when you talk to him. He'll be horrified that his nerdy dad has sullied his lingo and will stop. (You have to sound like you are using it seriously, as a really with it older guy.) It worked all the time with middle schoolers in my English classes. (They still used all their annoying words, but just not around me.) :D

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate 'munching ON', 'snacking on', etc. It used to be only Americans who said it, now Brits are doing it and it makes me grit my teeth to splinters.

Also, advertspeak - 'Only four nine-nine!' instead of 'four hundred and ninety nine'.

And we should ban 'willy-nilly' because no-bloody-body knows that it means, roughly, 'with or without permission', not 'haphazardly'. So just get rid of the damn thing. (Grouch, grouch).

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready for interviewers to retire the phrase "I/we caught up with [insert name of interview subject here]." Like we're either supposed to believe the interviewer is all out of breath from running after the person, or that they have an ongoing relationship and are casually "catching up" on the latest. I'm so sick of hearing this phrase opening interview after interview after interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.