The single song you've heard exactly one too many times.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Rules are: One song only, thou shalt not cite more than one song, nor a number greater than one song shalt thou cite; two songs are right out.

My nominee, no doubt affected by the time of year:

Jingle Bell Rock.

caw

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
"I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker..."

That one.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z and Alicia Keyes - First, the NY Yankees adopted it as their theme and second, a radio station that was once cool (but now sucks ass) has a lovely habit of playing a rotation of about 12 songs, so they play this song every hour on the hour (and I am soooo not kidding.)

It was a good song.

Now I. Hate. It.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Viva La Vida by Coldplay. I hate Coldplay anyway, but my mum and dad loved their last album and played it to death, but that particular song does my head in the most. They've both got it as their mobile phone ringtones and my heart sinks every time I hear it. And, to cap it all, it was playing in the car when my dad came to pick me up after I had to have my cat put to sleep, so I associate it with complete and total misery.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I work with a bunch of country music fans, I'm pretty sure I'm going to hurt someone if I hear that "Before He Cheats" again. The stupid song has to be a couple of years old at least, and 3 people still have it as a ring tone. It assaults me from their handbags all day long.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I work with a bunch of country music fans, I'm pretty sure I'm going to hurt someone if I hear that "Before He Cheats" again.

I'd never heard this song so skipped off to YouTube, but ten seconds in it already pissed me off. :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poker Face by Lady KaKa GagMe GaGa. Though I'm cheating because I've heard it about a million times too many.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Any day now, it'll be one of the seasonal ones -- Last Christmas, Feed the World, Wonderful Christmastime, I wish it could be Xmas every day -- but I'm just not sure which one will make me snap first.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day. WE GET IT BILLIE JOE. YOU DON'T LIKE SEPTEMBER. THE OTHER ELEVEN MONTHS ARE PREFERABLE. No one should be permitted to whine that much on the radio. There are other Green Day songs which could be nominated as well, but none approach this level of whininess.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Any day now, it'll be one of the seasonal ones -- Last Christmas, Feed the World, Wonderful Christmastime, I wish it could be Xmas every day -- but I'm just not sure which one will make me snap first.

You're such a grump. :tongue Although Last Christmas does make me want to throw up. And Wonderful Christmastime is pretty pants too. Feed the World's funny, especially the video where you watch it and think "Who the hell are they?!". I'm too young to remember the original obviously. ;) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day doesn't bother me.

A friend of mine used to work in Cash Converters and they had ONE Christmas CD that got played over and over again from the last week in November. A guy came in to the shop, asked what the CD was and my friend sold it to him right out the shop's hi-fi. I think the other guys who worked there made him their god. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly one time too many? If it's something I really hate from the start, I'll recognize "i'm hearing this song one time too many" on the first hearing. Otherwise, I'll listen, and it'll sneak up on me and once I realize I'm hearing it too much, it has already gone PAST the "I've heard this song once too many times" point.

I won't name the song, but there's one that features Paul McCartney. It also features a blind African-American singing star.

They both have made a bunch of great popular music, but they never should have met.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I don't listen to the radio.

I hate the radio, but unfortunately I'm subjected to it at work all day and my mum and dad always have it on at home. I don't have brilliant hearing and it's just like a low, persistent buzzing in the background. It drives me mad. Left to myself I wouldn't even think of owning a radio, let alone turning it on.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
You're such a grump. :tongue Although Last Christmas does make me want to throw up. And Wonderful Christmastime is pretty pants too. Feed the World's funny, especially the video where you watch it and think "Who the hell are they?!". I'm too young to remember the original obviously. ;)

I watch the video and remember not just the artists, but their wretched songs. It was my generation's Woodstock, man, only on telly and with shoulder pads.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day doesn't bother me.

It will. One day soon, and for the rest of your life. The children in that video are my contemporaries. Roy Wood used to scare the heebies out of me. Him and Bruce Forsyth.

It'll still be being played in the year 2678 on Antares-14, just before all the families tuck into their traditional festive fare of roast mutant and gravy.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I still think you'll consider Silver Bells by Terry Wogan and Aled Jones the most horrendous Christmas dirge you've ever heard. It's on sale now!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still think you'll consider Silver Bells by Terry Wogan and Aled Jones the most horrendous Christmas dirge you've ever heard. It's on sale now!

ROFL! at "christmas dirge". I'm going to start calling them that. My take on Christmas music is: if it's not "Fairy Tale of New York", I do not want to hear it. Evar.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine used to work in Cash Converters and they had ONE Christmas CD that got played over and over again from the last week in November. A guy came in to the shop, asked what the CD was and my friend sold it to him right out the shop's hi-fi. I think the other guys who worked there made him their god. :D
:ROFL: I work in retail and I SO get that. :)

It'll still be being played in the year 2678 on Antares-14, just before all the families tuck into their traditional festive fare of roast mutant and gravy.
LOL. And for dessert: THE fruitcake that nobody ever actually ate, which left Earth with Richard Branson in 2015.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. And for dessert: THE fruitcake that nobody ever actually ate, which left Earth with Richard Branson in 2015.

Richard Branson's leaving the planet? I hope nobody sold him a return ticket.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score

They'll use a souped-up Virgin train to shoot him in to space. He'll have a four-hour delay just outside the Ionosphere before the journey's cancelled and he's chucked out a window to float home.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
It was my generation's Woodstock, man, only on telly and with shoulder pads.

This is really quite fine.

I'm amazed that no one has posted Christmas Shoes yet. This overprocessed piece of cheese makes Dominick the Christmas Donkey look like Handel's Messiah. For those of you who have been lucky enough not to hear it, it's someone singing about being in a store on Christmas Eve and seeing a ragged little boy try to come up with enough money to buy his dying mother a pair of shoes "so she'll look pretty if she meets Jeeesus toniiiight." The last line is actually sung in a wavering teeny little childlike voice.

The whole thing is an excellent argument for mass suicide. Naturally the local radio station plays it and plays it.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Actually, I was just trying to guess when he might strap his own butt into one of Virgin Galactic's spaceplanes and head for orbit.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score

Sweet Lord. I hadn't come across that one yet. When did Aled Jones start morphing into Eric Bristow? And if you want to know what Wogan sounded like in the days before voice modifiers, it was something like an extended belch.