Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Maryn, I've had a cat that was like that, I tamed her by petting her as she ate. At first she hissed and when she realized I was only there to care for her she stopped that. One of the things I've learned is to make a cat come looking for food. Make them come to you. Once they realize you are the one to feed them, they become far more amiable. Down right loving. :)

Kim, laying in bed with her books, barefoot and too lazy to go get herself any food to eat.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not even if somebody pets you?

Maryn, winking

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cassi, in the Blue Bordello we were discussing earlier today how some people have a physical need for touch while others feel it traps them or invades their personal space. I like to cuddle or hold hands, but I don't need it. Good thing, too, since my husband does not like touch without purpose.

Were you raised in a household where emotional affection was shown with physical touching--cuddles, hugs, lap-sitting, etc.? I wasn't. We almost never touched.

Still, I sometimes envy those couples who always have their arm casually over one another's shoulders, or a hand on a leg or shoulder, always touching except when there's some reason not to. Some women in this country also touch friends, and in Europe, men and women both.

Maryn, who still wouldn't trade Mr. Maryn in

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Cassi, in the Blue Bordello we were discussing earlier today how some people have a physical need for touch while others feel it traps them or invades their personal space. I like to cuddle or hold hands, but I don't need it. Good thing, too, since my husband does not like touch without purpose.

Were you raised in a household where emotional affection was shown with physical touching--cuddles, hugs, lap-sitting, etc.? I wasn't. We almost never touched.

Still, I sometimes envy those couples who always have their arm casually over one another's shoulders, or a hand on a leg or shoulder, always touching except when there's some reason not to. Some women in this country also touch friends, and in Europe, men and women both.

Interesting topic, Maryn. I don't remember my mother hugging me much and forget a kiss on the cheek. My step father never, except now it's interesting. Now that I'm grown and my mother is gone, he hugs me when he sees me. When I went for 10 years without seeing them and went to see her before she passed away, I was quite taken back by the hugging going on amongst my siblings and relatives.

Perhaps it was just situational. I pretty much raised my two sisters (same mom, different dad) and they are demonstratively affectionate because I was all over them as their big sisters with hugs and kisses and tickles.

My own kids practically maul me. LOL. But that's cos I'm a very loving and cuddly mom. When I left their dad, I stepped up my hugs and kisses.

When kidlet #2 is around from college, he drags me to the couch and makes me watch a movie with him while he lays his head on my lap. He hugs me a lot now since he was away for two years and prior to that he lived with his dad when he got mad at me. So he's not been around alot for close to 7 years now.

I think our going overseas made us extremely close. *sigh* ah, the memories.

We had a nine hour layover in Amsterdam and our reservations for a hotel room went missing so we were stuck in the airport. Exhausted we must have been quite the sight. We split up in teams of two across the isle from each other. we put our back backs between us for pillows...and each team had one person awake at all times while the others napped and we took shifts, back to back keep each other safe. My youngest boy was 8, the other boy 12 and my daughter turning 15.

We called ourselves the Fabulous Four. At one layover a woman next to me commented on what an amazing family I had. She'd never seen any that close.

Okay so like wow...memories....*sings* LOL

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
the only time I do NOT like to be touched, is when I'm sleeping. I especially hate sleeping with a jumper who knees me in the backside by accident (or so he said). LOL

And if I'm angry..yeah..don't even think about it and no I'm not cute when I'm angry no matter how many men tell me I'm beautiful when I'm furious.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And good morning, House. Are we sleeping in today?

Maryn, wearing slippers because it's super cold

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I slept in today. But lots to do...so it's time to get to it. I'm picking out frames for some of my African artwork and some photos today. Really excited about doing that. I have these wonderful cloth canvases just sitting on my living room floor...can't wait to see them in frames!

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I slept in a bit but have been up for a while. It was a busy day yesterday. I used up a gift card for Barnes and Noble. Three paperbacks by authors new to me and a remainder hardback by H G Wells.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from the scientific meeting in Seattle. It was a good one. Since I'm the elected honcho, I had the Sheraton's Presidential Suite. The bathroom had a shower, jacuzzi tub that could fit about four people (estimated, not verified), and a sauna that could fit around eight (again, estimated).
Sure the amount those lovely accommodations could fit are just estimations. Mmm-hmmm.
:D Glad you had a good time, honcho.

I can't believe I missed this discussion!
I am not a toucher. Hate to be touched, except by hubby. My mom loved hugs. Always needed them, and she says I was very affectionate until I got to a certain age, then a flip switched and I couldn't stand to be touched.
I'm not nearly as affectionate with my kids as I should be. We hug to say hello, goodbye, and goodnight and that's about it. I can't stand the feeling of being inhibited or restrained, which is why I think I don't like hugs very much. Now hubs and I are the couple who rest our hands on the others leg when next to each other and such, but he knows that as long as I don't feel encumbered by the touch, I'm fine, otherwise, I can't stand it. Actually, I'd rather be doing the touching than be the one touched. He has finally figured it all out. Too bad though, because he is a cuddler, and I know most women would love to have such an affectionate husband, but he has had to tone it way down to meet my needs.
the only time I do NOT like to be touched, is when I'm sleeping.
I cannot sleep with someone touching me or even breathing on my skin. CANNOT do it. I'll cuddle for a bit with hubs when we go to bed, then he knows the drill, he has to stay on his side of the bed and I'll stay on mine. Geeze, this makes me sound so mean, but I just have weird issues and hubs has learned to deal with them.

I do not like strangers touching me, a real epidemic when I was pregnant. Just 'cuz my belly was sticking way out there, it didn't make it public domain. It was still mine. I finally got so fed up with it, I told a lady at a store who was reaching out her hand to feel my belly that if she touched me with that hand, she wouldn't get it back. :D I am such a sweet person.

I don't even like to hug my mom, and she considers it very special if I actually do. I don't hug my friends to say hello or goodbye and have had many awkward moments of backing away from someone trying to hug me as I am just trying to shake their hand. I also have a big bubble of personal space that I do not like invaded. This happens more since I moved to the south. People you don't know think they can causually touch you while they talk to you, or stand inches from you even though you've never met before. Very uncomfortable for me, though I do try and behave myself and be somewhat tactful about claiming my space.
Morning, House.
Morning!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SG, when I meet you, I'll shake your hand, okay?

When we bought our previous house, it came with a king-sized bed in the converted attic bedroom. The owners could not get the frame apart (way to go, painting it after bolting it together!) and decided to just leave it in place. The mattress was in good shape, too, so we had ourselves a king.

And we didn't have to touch at all. We'll never go back. When we travel, we have to have a king or two beds.

Our daughter has our antique brass bed, a double. Even though she lived with a boyfriend for a year, like you, SG, she hates to be touched or breathed on while she's asleep or trying to fall asleep, and cuddlers will be shot.

Maryn, buying a new bed this winter

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, now I may hug you just for shock value. :D

Hubby and I started in a twin! Oh, the horror. Luckily, we were just starting out together so sleeping was secondary when it came to the bed. We then got a double and now have a queen. We've never bought a bed for ourselves, have always inherited one, but no one we know has a king they want to get rid of, darn it. You can tell your daughter that Storygirl understands and empathizes, and I'm sure her boyfriend would have my husband's sympathy. :) Recently, we slept in a king size bed when we went to visit his parents. It was heaven. I have never slept better. I want one, someday, hopefully soon.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With our kids leaving the nest for good, one of the empty bedrooms is getting our present king before it gets too old and lumpy. The room will be too full, with such a big bed, but house guests (infrequent, thank god) used to a king will be glad it's there.

The rest of the time, we'll close the heating vent and the door and pretend it isn't there. I have been forced to swear I won't store anything in there except in the closet.

Maryn, who has too many things

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like hugs. Every one from Little Fizzy and Fizzette make me pause from whatever I'm doing. I like to become entwined in bed with a woman (not talking about shakin' it) but I also like the eventual recoil and retreat to the mattress halves once sleep is going deep.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! and all these years I thought I was really wierd. SG and I could be sisters!

Hey sis! :D
That does not make you any less weird. Actually, it could increase your weirdness factor to be so similar to me.
:D

Howdy sis!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
<deleted>
I've never made my "touch issues" a secret. I have and do still enjoy his touch, he just had to learn not to overwhelm me with affection. Luckily, I have always been able to very easily tell him what irritates me and what I enjoy, and he loved me enough not to hold my several quirks against me.

I like certain touches, I can be touched by my husband more than by anybody else, and actually like it more now than in the beginning. We still cuddle on the couch to watch TV and such, which I can never imagine enjoying with anyone else. The more I loved and trusted him, the more affection I was able to take from him. I just don't like feeling confined at all. It's a huge issue of mine. And, well, I was always willing to touch and be touched when it was leading to more. As far as a lot of cuddling or having his arm constantly around me or lots of hugs during the day, I just have to be in the right mood for it. If I'm busy or stressed or just not feeling approachable, those kind of affections can spike the wrong reactions from me. I'm not a touchy-feely person. I'm just not. I've never made him guess, he always knows. And when sleeping, NO TOUCHING. I'll cuddle for a few (even if I don't really feel like it, that's my compromise and he knows it) then I want my space.

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
*deleted*
Oh, I have an EXTREME aversion to strangers touching me.

Hubs, while strange, is not a stranger. What can I say, I love the man more than anything, and that entitles him to lots more affection from me than anyone else. :D

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Being "in the market" again, the overwhelming sense of "untouchable" mature women gives me pause.

Wait?! Am I reading that correctly? You're not 'in the market' are you? I thought you were happily cohabitating?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i am a person who enjoys his 'personal space'.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fizzy, I don't dislike touch as much as some here. But I'm okay with a non-toucher, too. My issue, if that's not too strong a word, is that way too many guys touch in seeming closeness when their goal is not comfortable closeness but nookie.

These are the same guys, of course, who buy you dinner and think they have somehow earned more than the pleasure of your company.

If Mr. Maryn were a snuggler during waking hours, I'd enjoy it, since I know his goal isn't always sexual. But he's not. He'll hold my hand for 30 seconds or so, then pull away, unless I'm crying or something.

Maryn, not a cryer

Status
Not open for further replies.