Having trouble connecting to wireless hotspot...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have a wireless internet connection at home, and my laptop connects to it without a hitch. It also likes the connection at my parents' house, my sister's house, at various internet cafes I've been to, and even at MacDonalds. I can connect all over the place.

Until I went into my local Starbucks last week. I've used their internet connection there a lot, so it has worked in the past. But it won't work any more.

I've taken a different laptop there, and that one connects fine with my password and username.

My own laptop, though, won't. It finds the Starbucks connection without a hitch; then sometimes it insists that it's connected (and BT Open Zone, whihc runs Starbucks' internet services, has told me it appears to be, as the IP address is correct); but when I try to do anything online Firefox says it can't connect to the internet. Other times it just fails to hook up at all.

I am getting SO frustrated with this! I'm using Windows 7 on that machine, and I feel like drowning it in latte.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, didn't Starbucks change their Wi-Fi system recently? Check your security/firewall for all the sub-routines having the proper permissions.

Deleted member 42

Also:

Before trying to connect again, delete the Starbucks listing in your Wifi list of hot spots.

It could be that it's persistently hanging on to data in that setting that it shouldn't.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that's the one thing I didn't do, Lisa--delete it! I shall do it now and will report back after my next trip to Starbucks. Thank you.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing peculiar to Firefox is it may have switched you to a proxy setting rather than direct connection to the internet. I don't use Firefox anymore since I installed Windows 7, so I can't tell you how to change the setting.

When my son (a network administrator) installed Windows 7 on my PC, he told me the safest browser to use was Internet Explorer. windows 7 runs it in a sort of quarantined sandbox that isolates it from the rest of your PC. If any program tries to get to your PC, you get a warning and the program cannot progress further unless you let it. You can only blame yourself if a virus or Trojan gets into your PC. Of course you also need to have an updated anti-virus program running. Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be as good as any of them, and it's free.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well.

I deleted all of the wireless connections I have except for my home one; went to Starbucks; and failed to connect. What I couldn't work out how to do is delete the settings for wireless connections which didn't appear in my list when I was at home!

I think I'd better phone up a friendly computer person and get him to sort me out.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Deleted member 42

Well.

I deleted all of the wireless connections I have except for my home one; went to Starbucks; and failed to connect. What I couldn't work out how to do is delete the settings for wireless connections which didn't appear in my list when I was at home!

Your computer wifi does two things:

It lists connections it "sees."

It also remembers those you've used in the past.

I've not used the Starbucks Wifi, and it might work differently in the UK.

Generally, you would select a hotspot from the list.

Then open your browser and go to a particular address given to you by the Wifi provider to authenticate/register.

or you simply try to go to any URL and the local Wifi you've connected to intercedes and asks you to register.

Does this sound familiar re: Starbucks?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When I go to Starbucks, I can get a list of hotspots, the Starbucks one included: but the only option I get for it is to connect. I've tried right-clicking and I've looked all through "Manage Network Connections" but can't work out where it's saving its log-in information. I am dense.

Ususally a web page opens and asks me to provide my log-in details, but we don't get that far: all I usually get now is a message saying that my laptop can't connect. Even though according to BT OpenZone, I am connected sometimes.

I shall try a different Starbucks next week and see if it works there.