The GLBT Rights situation in India makes America's look good (even in the reddest states)

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/...as-changed-for-homosexuals-in-india/?mod=e2tw

India’s capital witnessed the first Delhi queer pride parade on Sunday since the country’s Supreme Court reinstated a law banning gay sex almost a year ago.
Members and supporters of the lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered community thronged the streets in a colorful display of solidarity against the reintroduction of the colonial-era law.
Amid slogans demanding “Azaadi” or freedom from Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code that criminalizes “unnatural sex,” the participants marched through the heart of New Delhi towards Jantar Mantar, a popular protest site, in a parade that started at 3p.m. and continued for four hours.
Gay sex was decriminalized in a landmark judgment by Delhi High Court in 2009 but in December last year, India’s highest court overturned the decision on grounds that it should be the Parliament that legislates on such matters not the courts. Since then, activists say that cases of violence and discrimination against members of the LGBT community have increased. “Just a few days ago, more than 160 transgenders were arrested in Bangalore,” Gautam Bhan, gay rights activist told the crowd at Jantar Mantar.

So it looks like the whole nation of India is not just not recognizing gay marriages but making homosexual relations a criminal offense. And if this is what is happening in India, we don't even want to think about what is happening in OIC (Muslim majority) nations, especially as the populations of these nations turn towards Islamic fundamentalism (which is basically American fundamentalism cubed) at higher rates.

sabindanjoup

Registered
Reaction score
These laws concerning "unnatural sex" have been on the books since British times and they need to be changed.
The current BJP government is unlikely to amend them because that would rub its allies the wrong way. If the Congress does return to power, I don't think they'll change the status-quo either. Not enough votes in it, you see.
Like it or not, the Supreme Court is the only institution that offers some hope.
I hope activists appeal the ruling and a new bench strikes down the law again.

Last edited:

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
The GLBT Rights situation in India makes America's look good (even in the reddest states)

Consider this timeline.

We (here in The Netherlands) were the first, fourteen years ago, to legalize gay marriage. Up until 1971, sodomy was illegal, here.

I understand the urge to wag our fingers, but the short amount of time makes it hardly justifiable.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Consider this timeline.

We (here in The Netherlands) were the first, fourteen years ago, to legalize gay marriage. Up until 1971, sodomy was illegal, here.

I understand the urge to wag our fingers, but the short amount of time makes it hardly justifiable.
Homosexuality was in the DSM until 1974, here. The change in only forty years is astounding when you consider how slowly society used to change. That said, a dozen states in the US still have sodomy laws on the books. Institutionalized straight privilege is obviously still a problem.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Homosexuality was in the DSM until 1974, here. The change in only forty years is astounding when you consider how slowly society used to change. That said, a dozen states in the US still have sodomy laws on the books. Institutionalized straight privilege is obviously still a problem.

Imagine where India can be in forty years.