• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drew Montgomery Literary Management / The Montgomery Literary Agency

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
What's the matter with her?

Doesn't she know that the next step is supposed to be posting a page denouncing the conspiracy by AAR and their paid character assassins who are trying to keep new writers from being published by questioning the competence of wholly, completely, absolutely on the up-and-up new agencies?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
are you telling me that you guys made an agent disappear?
this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen

I've helped send disreputable agents to jail before. But I've never actually made one disappear!

Wonder what name she'll turn up under next?

- Victoria

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder what name she'll turn up under next?

Probably something easily recognizable. She doesn't seem to be big on truly creative sockpuppetry. I mean, turning up to defend yourself under a handle that's already been linked to a former incarnation of yourself? How sadly inept was that.

Where are the scamsters of yore; who could run a bevy of sockpuppets, uphill, in the snow, easily boosting a thread to ten pages in a night?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Where are the scamsters of yore; who could run a bevy of sockpuppets, uphill, in the snow, easily boosting a thread to ten pages in a night?

I know: I miss them terribly. We could do with a nice, extended bout of ridiculousness here to lighten the long winter nights.

Meanwhile, back to the "agent" (ha!) in question.

My friends who work for HarperCollins in the UK have asked around and, bearing in mind that it's a weekend and not everyone is at work right now and so this information isn't 100% reliable, they can find no evidence that their American counterparts will be publishing a book by Carl Johnson titled Alien Invasion.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Raise your hand if you're surprised.

*looks around*

Wow, no hands.

I think she's one of those people who thinks that disappearing from the webs is easier than it actually is.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's a shocker! Perhaps it's Carl Alien's Johnson Invasion?

I'm sorry. I keep trying to think of something witty and erudite to say about that, but all I can do is laugh behind my hand and blush to my roots.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm sorry. I keep trying to think of something witty and erudite to say about that, but all I can do is laugh behind my hand and blush to my roots.

No, I think you're thinking about that old novel from the 60's, "Carl's Alien Johnson Invasion".

It was the one that was sold in the brown paper bag.

:evil

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No, I think you're thinking about that old novel from the 60's, "Carl's Alien Johnson Invasion".

Hyperventillating now. Must breathe... Arrggggh....

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all be good now, or I'll start posting my collection of dancing ... not bananas. :banana:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Probably something easily recognizable. She doesn't seem to be big on truly creative sockpuppetry. I mean, turning up to defend yourself under a handle that's already been linked to a former incarnation of yourself? How sadly inept was that.

You know, I was just thinking that. We can't have eaten them all, can we?

Knock wood. I wasn't complaining. Honest.

I'm sorry; I'm so pure-minded that I didn't get that joke. Perhaps you could explain it to me?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all be good now, or I'll start posting my collection of dancing ... not bananas. :banana:

I'm being good, it's Richard and MRJ who are confusing everyone.

I'm sorry; I'm so pure-minded that I didn't get that joke. Perhaps you could explain it to me?

Yes, Richard. Go on. Spell it out. I think you should.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is so much better than watching TV. Y'all rock.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

Deleted member 42

Dear Victoria,

I have no idea what is going on here. I have never been, nor have I ever claimed to be a literary agent. I AM NOT A LITERARY AGENT AND WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE SAY THAT I AM A LITERARY AGENT. I AM A WRITER. I WRITE BOOKS AND THAT'S ALL I DO AND DREW MONTGOMERY IS MY LITERARY AGENT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR IP ADDRESSES MATCH OR WHY PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK DREW IS ME OR THAT DREW IS THIS OTHER JULIA. IT'S A MYSTERY TO ME. ALL I KNOW IS THAT DREW IS AN HONEST, HARD WORKING, DEDICATED, AND PROFESSIONAL AGENT WHO IS TRYING TO DO HER JOB DESPITE ALL THIS IDIOCY ABOUT HER NOT BEING WHO SHE SAYS SHE IS. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. DREW MONTGOMERY IS A GOOD AGENT AND I AM HAPPY TO BE HER CLIENT. PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT FINDING THE REAL SCAMMERS AND LEAVE GOOD AGENTS LIKE DREW TO THEIR JOB. JULIA LEVIN

Most authors (and agents, by the way) can pass basic literacy tests.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
jewelssarah: (BOLDING MINE)
She sent it out to the publishers (Random House, Simon and Schuster, W.W. Norton, Henry Holt, Tor Books, Little Brown and Company, St. Martin's Press, Weinstein Books, and HarperCollins, and Hyperion)

Do you know why Sarah sent your book to Tor, given that from your description it does not sound as though it contains any science fiction or fantasy elements and yet that is the type of fiction that Tor usually accepts?

jewelssarah:
I know only one of her recent sales that she is waiting on a contract for. Carl Johnson who wrote a sci fi thriller about ailens taking over the planet and killing all humans. It's called Alien Invasion. Drew sold it to HarperCollins.

Not to sound churlish but until the contract is signed and delivered, she hasn't really sold that book because Harper Collins is free to change its mind at any time*. Do you know the name of the acquiring editor?

MM

* And I say that on the assumption that she really has been in contact with Harper Collins about that title.

Portnoysboy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
My first day here, but I've been chuckling over this whole Montgomery/Levin/Levine business. I had sent Drew Mnontgomery a querie because, like me, her listed address (available on Everyone/anyone) is in Florida. She responded quickly, asking me to send proposal elements for my novel (I had sent her a querie for a memoir) to her gmail address (now defunct), not to her street address. (bogus, by the way) After Googling her, and finding out about her duplicity, I quickly lost any interest in pursuing her as an agent. But the sheer audacity of her almost child-like attempts at deception made me wonder about the who, what, and why of her folly. I contacted a few of the authors on her client list. None of them had ever heard of anyone named Drew Montgomery. The shared IP address was of course fatal to her argument, but she seemed, in her interplay with people here, not to even understand what it was. The purely fictitious literary agency she claims to have worked for was easily detectable as just that. The years she claims to have been at school overlap with her alleged early agency involvement. Maybe I need a second cup of coffee to understand why I'm fascinated by this charade. Considering all of the above, I don't really believe that her impersonation of a literary agent was a serious one. I somehow can't quite buy that she's even an adult. There was nothing to be gained by her duplicity, other that having some fun at the expense of wannabe writers, who are , by nature, pretty gullible. So, will she resurface under another pseudonym? Is she a sophomore at West Palm Beach High School? Is she, not one person, but a group playing a game? One thing's for sure. She has certainly provided her share of amusement around the water cooler.