• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Hurst & Associates Literary Management

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
Yesterday Andrea Hurst did a webinar on the Writers Digest site about Crafting Fiction and Memoir That Sells-An Agent's Point of View....Did anyone else happen to check it out besides me??? She gave some really great advice!

Thanks,
Robin

Heather3

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm circling back here...I signed with Vickie Motter this week. It's been a whirlwind, but well worth it. From Query to signed contract, it was just under 8 weeks. I'm still pinching myself.

Good luck to all of you still waiting--Vickie is wonderful!

Kris
_________
www.krisasselin.blogspot.com

Krista, Congratulations!!! What a rollercoaster ride this must be for you. Is this your first book being published?
I queried Vickie Motter on 2/7/11 and received and email yesterday for the first 20 pages, which I sent today.
To date, I have two full MS-of the same book- out there (going on the 5th week for both), one set of first 3 chapters and one first 20 pages...fingers crossed one of them likes my story!
Heather

Heather3

Registered
Reaction score
ROF--I missed it...can you find it online somewhere?
Thanks!

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hi All,
Yesterday Andrea Hurst did a webinar on the Writers Digest site about Crafting Fiction and Memoir That Sells-An Agent's Point of View....Did anyone else happen to check it out besides me??? She gave some really great advice!

Hi Robin, only reason I couldn't attend was because I live halfway across the world and the timing was too awkward. Andrea edited my memoir recently and I have to say that while I was on the phone with her last Thursday, I learnt a lot about writing a memoir. She was quite generous with her compliments but also equally candid about the weaknesses in my ms. We discussed various options to make it more marketable. I'm going study all her comments and work on my ms. I'm sure you found the webinar very helpful. I'm kicking myself now for missing it.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I queried Vickie Motter on Feb. 11. I received a request for the first fifty pages last night, so just under four weeks. I don't know if that helps you at all, Toni1953.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Motter on 1/13
Partial request (first 20 pages) received 1/13 (partial sent 1/14)
Partial request (next 100 pages) received 1/20 (partial sent same day)
Upgrade to full request received 2/14
Personalized rejection received 3/6

YA science fiction

Stinks, but in the last two weeks, I've picked up four independent R&Rs. So I'm working on a revision with gusto and hoping for better results with other agents.

Congratulations, KrisA! And Heather3, this is the third manuscript I've queried; happily, my stats have gotten better with each one (since that first attempt was abysmal :)).

The Darc

Registered
Reaction score
For any potential query-ers on the fence because of the P&E rating, don't worry. I signed with Vickie in December, and ever since she has been a phenonmenally thoughtful and thorough (and free!) editor. In fact, as far as I can tell, my manuscript has been editted by several readers at the agency too (again, for free). So if anything Andrea Hurst Lit's staff of editors has only helped me. Not preditor-y at all!

I can't speak to the actual sales (or lack thereof, scary thought) because we haven't started pitching yet. But I will be back with updates!

ksbaby

Perhaps, today is the day.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vickie Motter seem to respond within a month to queries and requests. She always updates her blog about rejection rate for the month. Might want to check it out:)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Vickie Motter seem to respond within a month to queries and requests. She always updates her blog about rejection rate for the month. Might want to check it out:)

ZOMG!! I didn't know this. I went to check it out. I think I am one of the 5% she requested more of from the partial. And I LOL'd when I read this though:

"My eyes sort of glaze over when I see "vampires" in the query. I think it's dried up in the YA world, but I'll consider it for adult Paranormal or Urban Fantasy. Make it original. Make it sparkle (but not in an Edward Cullen's fairy sort of way)." ::points to my signature line::

Last edited:

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just received a partial request (100 pages) on an query sent to Vickie Motter on 9th March. Am very excited as she seems like such a good match for my work! :)

Dreamerlilly

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Vickie Motter today. Fingers crossed!

By the way, reading through this thread has been really helpful!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Received a standard rejection on my partial on 22nd June. It was very short and sweet...

Thank you for your submission. I'll have to pass at this time. I wish you the best of luck.

Oh well! :Shrug:

tanstaafl8

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Vickie yesterday. Will keep you all posted! Best of luck to any and all who have pages with her...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I recently saw an Andrea Hurst contract (from January of this year) that imposed a minimum $1,500 commission, regardless of the advance amount, deducted from the first two advance checks with a standard 15% due thereafter. If this agency placed you with a smaller publisher, your commission obligation could conceivably exceed your actual advance.

- Victoria

elijoal

Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw an Andrea Hurst contract (from January of this year) that imposed a minimum $1,500 commission, regardless of the advance amount, deducted from the first two advance checks with a standard 15% due thereafter. If this agency placed you with a smaller publisher, your commission obligation could conceivably exceed your actual advance.

- Victoria

Hmmm. That's a steep price to do business. Vickie recently asked for a partial. Waiting to hear back. Is $1500 up front plus a 15% commission very common? I haven't heard of that before, but I'm pretty much in the dark concerning agent cuts.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It's not money up front. It's a minimum commission in the event of a sale. The writer doesn't pay a fee if no sale is made--only if a commission is due. So it's not the same as charging a fee--but it is an attempt to set an income minimum per sale, which most definitely is not standard practice. I was talking about it on Twitter today, and the agents who responded were all shocked and/or disbelieving.

- Victoria