Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The disembodied hands are particularly creepy, I think. They scrabble at the glass so hard their fingernails break. :tongue

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Hehehe. Lemme hear it. I'll try to help. After more and more revision, I am beginning to like my query. I'd like to read it, though you don't have to take my advice.
BTW, my patience is waning about the flash fiction critting.

Thanks for the offer, but the problem isn't the synopsis. It's writing the synopsis. And I do that by skimming through the book and summarizing almost everything that happens. When I'm done it's usually about 3+ times longer than it should be so I have to make it more concise and decide which scenes can be left out.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, five years is such a long time. Luckily for me, I'm already a year into that five, but still... I'll be at least 22 before I publish. Sad day man.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The timeframe isn't the same for everyone - I know some people (like Shady) can write a book in a week and edit it in another week. But then others need years and years to write a book, and plenty of people write umpteen books before they ever get anywhere. The pace of writing and publishing is so incredibly slow that patience is key.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like I fit that mold though. A year to write, a year to edit.

Obviously I love my work and I'm hoping that it will end up good enough to snatch up an agent really quickly, but I'm not expecting that just because it's not gonna help me write a better book.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
The timeframe isn't the same for everyone - I know some people (like Shady) can write a book in a week and edit it in another week. But then others need years and years to write a book, and plenty of people write umpteen books before they ever get anywhere. The pace of writing and publishing is so incredibly slow that patience is key.

This is true.

I think one of the hardest things for writers to remember is that everyone's journey is different. Some people find an agent within a month of querying. Others have to query for awhile, do another round of revisions, and then query back before they find an agent. Some people get an offer and then their book doesn't sell.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
HR, when I wrote my synopsis I had A LOT of help from Lisa Garner's website. I highly recommend it: it shows good examples of synopsis' and bad one and takes you through writing one step by step. I'll send you a link if your interested.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
http://lisagardner.com/writers-toolboxhttp://lisagardner.com/writers-toolbox
Go to the bottom until you see the subtitle "conquering the dreaded synopsis". Read all ten lectures. It takes time but is totally worth it. I know youve done this before and probably think that you already know this, but read through it all and re-read the stuff about good synopsis' and plot points a bunch of times. Follow the plot point procedure exactly; map out what your going to write. When I finished with it, my synopsis was 1.5 pages, so I had to shorten it another half a page. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm almost old enough to be your mother... If I'd had a kid early in high school. How scary is that?! :D

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

QFT.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
We have finished all 1-6 of the HP movies. But, oh my... Mom and my sister are CLUELESS when it comes to Harry Potter.

Voldemort is now Vladimire (she figured he was Russian or something)
Dumbledore is now Dubblebore.
Ginny is Jenny.
Snogging is snugging.
Moaning Myrtle is Whining Winnifred.
We can't go through a minute without them asking a question, mostly "Is he bad?"
She only knows Harry, Ron and Hagrid.

And they both hate Snape. Whenever they say that, I'm like "I like Snape..." Mom thinks that he talks weird has no expression at all. Honestly, I always thought Snape would sound like that when I was reading the books.

It's been an interesting week.

QUESTION: Should I see Harry Potter in 3D or not? What's the best?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I was bored today and in my whimsical teenage years, I self-pubbed that flash fiction story to Smashwords. It's free, of course. Here's a link. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/80964
I know sad, huh? Why waste my time self pubbing a flash fiction story? (Download it and give it 5 stars if you like. HeeHeeHee. Most authors rig the ratings anyway

Last edited:

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
*pounces back at Kyrie, claws out*
I am a cat. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.