Agents that do not accept queries??

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
Do you still contact agents that do not accept queries?
I know the obvious answer is no, but don't know if there is a back door secret knock involved. It just seems like the finest agents I look up don't accept queries but they tend to be awesome.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I think the only reasonable way you'd ever pitch to an agent who accepts no queries is if one of the agent's clients referred you to the agent. I don't think that happens often though.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You also might meet the agent at a conference or lecture event and get an invitation to send a query. Don't know how rare that is with the biggest agents, though.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If an agent isn't accepting queries, then they aren't looking to take on new clients.

Someone will probably come around and tell you to "query them anyway, because you never know." And you don't. You might get a positive response. Or you might get filed away as "clueless and can't read submission guidelines."

There are a lot of terrific agents who are open to queries. Concentrate on them.

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question, given I was wondering about the same thing, and I do the following : send an email to the agent (not a query), asking in the title of the email if she was taking queries again. I had a good excuse, the last entry in her blog mentioned that she was back from the trip she had given as a reason to stop taking queries... And that entry dated from January... So maybe you can do some homework, try to know why the agent is not taking queries, and decided afterward...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Do you still contact agents that do not accept queries?
I know the obvious answer is no, but don't know if there is a back door secret knock involved. It just seems like the finest agents I look up don't accept queries but they tend to be awesome.

The only back door is a recommendation from someone the agent trusts, such as one of her bigger clients, or another agent.

Otherwise, don't waste their time, or yours. If the agent wanted, needed, or had room for more writers, she would be accepting queries. Refusing to take no for an answer just makes you a name that agent will not remember for any good reason.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The only answer to this question is NO.

My agent does not accept queries. That's because she is not actively seeking new clients--her list is full. However, that being said, she loves going to conferences and will solicit submissions from writers if (1) she is referred to them by one of her clients; (2) she meets and likes the writer; and (3) she is interested in their pitch.

But anyone who just cold queries her? She doesn't even read their emails.

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great forum.
I wasn't going to send a query but damn those play-hard-to-get agents are the ones I most want!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great forum.
I wasn't going to send a query but damn those play-hard-to-get agents are the ones I most want!

I appreciate your frustration, but why are you attributing it to 'playing hard to get'? Do you have a day job? Do you ever have more work than you can accomplish in the time alloted? What do you do when someone wants you to do more?

If an agent doesn't have room for more clients, they shut down to submissions. If they want to take on maybe one or two new clients, and choose to query existing authors for recommendations first and not open to a flood of additional slush, why is that 'playing hard to get'? Actually, it's just plain, old fashioned business sense not to take on more work than you can successfully accomplish. :)

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your frustration, but why are you attributing it to 'playing hard to get'? Do you have a day job? Do you ever have more work than you can accomplish in the time alloted? What do you do when someone wants you to do more?

If an agent doesn't have room for more clients, they shut down to submissions. If they want to take on maybe one or two new clients, and choose to query existing authors for recommendations first and not open to a flood of additional slush, why is that 'playing hard to get'? Actually, it's just plain, old fashioned business sense not to take on more work than you can successfully accomplish. :)

I was just joking;)