Rejectomancy

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Finally some rejection action: three stories all out for far too long at three of the "top 25 most challenging markets " all came back this week with forms. Obviously gutted on the one hand as more promptness could have saved wasted time, but glad they are finally back and I can get on with life.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally some rejection action: three stories all out for far too long at three of the "top 25 most challenging markets " all came back this week with forms. Obviously gutted on the one hand as more promptness could have saved wasted time, but glad they are finally back and I can get on with life.

Sorry about the Rs. But if they were out over the average time it's probably because they were thinking about them, and that's good, even if you did get a form R at the end of it.

That's what I tell my self anyway.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks big fat Cthulhu tentacles.

Still, better than just waiting for the obvious. But clearly indicative of a new broom sweeping out the old.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I saw that coming, to be honest, and Ann VanderMeer hinted that that would be the case in her initial blog post about the change in ownership. It sucks, but it was pretty inevitable.

I really hope Weird Tales doesn't die a death under the new owner. I love that magazine.

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that that announcement was so poorly written does not speak well for the new Editor? Interesting also that they're closed to submissions when they now have nothing in their slush, as well.

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol.

Maybe they have Lovecraft writing for them from beyond the grave. Or maybe mighty Cthulhu himself. Imagine how many pens you could hold in all those tentacles.

But yes. No surprise. A nice clean slate for a retrograde motion.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. This... is not cool. Two month wait and a blanket reject. Wahoo.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Their facebook update has an additional comment that suggests they are simply releasing all fiction so as not to keep stories tied up indefinitely during the transition.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently that was written by Ann VanderMeer.

And just to confuse me more, this has been posted in the comments, also by Ann VanderMeer.

Just to be clear…there is still the possibility that I will be involved in some form with the new incarnation of the magazine – although it has not been finalized just yet.
And the new Editor-in-Chief will be reading fiction soon and IS interested in what has already been submitted. However considering it will be a while before Weird Tales re-opens to reading and buying new fiction, we thought it best to let the stories go, so that writers do not have to wait so long….

Where does that leave everyone?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I already have re subbed. I did it as soon as I read the post.

But the comment made me wonder whether they were keeping some stories for consideration despite what the original post said.

It just seemed weird, it seemed to contradict itself.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely sucky. 123 days at Weird Tales and they never even looked at it. :cry:

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
I'm right there with you all. 100+ days and the story wasn't read. Glad to have it back in my hands now though. And Lillie, it just seems like she was saying that they'll be interested in the same kinds of stories again once they reopen to submissions. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Not too keen on the Cthulhu focus of the first issue. :/

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I see now.

I was confused.

Mine was 70 something days, so not too bad. I wasn't expecting an acceptance anyway. I only sent it there so I wouldn't have to think about it.

I'm more fretting about my 67 days at Strange Horizons. Duo says they are sending rejections today.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that a bunch of people subbed stories that never got read, I think this is a good development. Response times at Weird Tales are entirely too long, and while I don't know that new management is going to make a difference, I'm hopeful that it might.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It just seemed weird, it seemed to contradict itself.

Given how abrupt and borderline unprofessional what we've seen thus far has been, I have to imagine it's chaos up close. At the very least, it's good to keep in mind that the current spokespeople may not be being given correct/complete information or instructions, and may not have much choice in what they're being told to say. I do wonder too if there's some behind-the-scenes negotiation/intervention happening, some attempt from (presumably outgoing) wiser heads to try to at least help the new incarnation of WT have a fighting chance.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh...I am part of the Weird Tales mass rejection. Thanks for the heads up!
That story is under consideration elsewhere anyway since WT was ok w/ sim-subs! :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I debated whether to put this here or in Braggage, but eventually settled on this as it's proper home: I just got a rejection from Clarkesworld. And it took them three days shy of a full month to say no. And they said that the story was close. And that I should send more. :yessmiley