American WrIdol: On The First Five Pages

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
Noah Lukeman's First Five Pages has been so highly praised here that I had to have a look. And what a revelation the book was.

No one brings home like this author the urgent need for speed. One passage, for sheer horror, rivals anything written by Stephen King: the picture of an agent 'reading' a 500-page manuscript in about a minute. How? By speed-reading the first page...taking in errors in format/spelling/style...then turning at random to a later page to see if these are repeated. Lukeman portrays a process as grueling, horrific and hilarious as the early auditions for AI. And one as unforgiving of insecurity, unprofessionalism and lack of razzmatazz.

I'd like to know what the rest of you have gotten from this book. For me, the main revelation was this: the advice that a Hook can and should extend from the opening sentence--from sentence to sentence, paragraph to page. A relentless and irresistable progression. The novel itself as the hook.

Lukeman also confirmed something I've suspected for some time: that it's self-defeating to send a large SASE for rejected manuscripts. No matter how carefully they've been handled, they'll still show signs of being read and create an impression of failure in other agents who read them.

Caveats? One, I suppose: I'm not sure of the wisdom of his advice to send queries out by Fed Ex or Special Delivery. I agree with him that expense shouldn't be the main consideration, though sending out a hundred queries at, say, $10 a pop does add up. I've read enough comments by agents who hate this approach to have some grave concerns. What's your take on this?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Check the publishing date on that book. Snail mail queries aren't the norm anymore, and most agencies who accept them say specifically to send them through regular mail, as they won't sign for things. They're busy actually working and can't go down to the mail room.

If you do send by snail mail, then yeah - there's no reason to ask for the MS back. Send a regular SASE for correspondence. At the very least, sending the large envelope implies you think they'll need to use it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, there isn't too much about that book that I care for at all. It works for him, but most of what he says is in no way universal. Some of it is downright silly, such as using FedEx or Special Delivery. Most of the agents and editors I know would never even receive such queries, and would refuse to sign, even if the queries did find them.

Most, in fact, specifically tell writers not to do this under any circumstances.

As for asking for the manuscript back, I have given up on this, but it's nuts, downright stupid, to believe for a second that most agent or editors see anything at all negative about this. Many appreciate it because it is something they can mark up, should teh manuscript be one that interests them.

Asking for the manuscript back does NOT mean you're going to send that same manuscript out again. If it shows signs of wear, you print a new copy. And it might have some very valuable editorial advice in it. It sure as hell is not self-defeating, except, perhaps, to Lukeman.

Last edited:

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
Some good feedback, and I thank you. Despite the book's importance as an eye-opener about agents' 'speed-reading', I have my own reservations about some of Lukeman's writing advice. Now, I think he's right on the money about overkill with dialogue--the latter Spenser novels are less involving because of that--I can't agree that it's wrong to begin with a novel with a line of dialogue. I'm sure that just about everyone here can think of one or two books they've enjoyed that disobeyed his rule.