the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I truly enjoyed the book and thought it was generally well written and deserved to be on every bestseller list.

Is it a perfect book? No. The first half of the book is wonderful, full of nostalgia and sadness, angst and regrets. The mid-book, however, drags and the story goes no where -- it's also not very believable, and the characters somewhat stereotypical. The climax is rather melodramatic, and I find it borderline homophobic. But the ending. I found it very poignant, especially the last chapter.

It's a book that came out at the right time, at the right place. A novel about Afghanistan and an Afghan-American that came out in 2002. Can't get better timing than that.

Hosseini has a fluid, lyrical style. Sometimes his prose is a little flowery. But I really like his poetic use of the language. I do feel that the first half of his book is the best. The mid-book falters. Then it picks up nicely and becomes so riveting when the main character returns to Afghanistan to confront his past and demons. Then it drags again, until the author ends the book on a high note with a poignant last chapter.

His characters, especially Amir and Hassan, are wonderfully developed. The first person narrator, Amir, appears to be rather unlikable, but it is a story about redemption. However, Amir's voice is so affecting that I can't help but want to go along and see how he turns out. The settings, especially in Afghanistan, are exquisite. A good book should put you right in that environment and make you care about what happen to the people. Hassan breaks my heart. I would LOVE to have a Hassan in my life. There are certain parts of the story that put a lump in my throat.

Is the story manipulative? Probably. Did I feel the emotional punches the author threw at me? You bet.

(A movie is current in the making)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part, I agree. Great book.

I didn't think it was terrifically well written (in parts it read somewhat amateurishly) but it was extremely effectively structured and plotted. And the characterization was rivetting.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride and would recommend the book to anyone.

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
I really enjoyed this book, cover to cover. Wrote this review of sorts, just after finishing the book:

I picked up the book as a gift for my brother. While my busy brother hasn't had the chance to flip through it yet, I am so glad I bought this book. Gladder yet that I read it. For wrapped within this gem of a debut novel is an Afghanistan long lost and yet to be found, the longing of a son for his father's love, the pathos of betraying one's most trustworthy ally, the pain of carrying the guilt of that betrayal, and finally the redemption that must be had to undo that burden of guilt.

The book is neatly crafted for its 300-something pages, and the plot is built up in a linear narrative and takes the most decisive turn right in the middle. There's no way a reader can stop reading it past this point. And before that? Well, before that is presented the most heartwarmingly authentic picture of an Afghanistan we don't see any more. Of the country before the Soviet invasion, and its subsequent downfall at the hands of the Northern Alliance and the dreaded Taliban. As I read through it, I could picture the beautiful country it once was, what with grand markets, nicely laid out neighborhoods, sprawling mansions with trimmed hedges, cherry and pomegranate trees and oriental furniture. I could even smell the delicious aroma of the food selling on the streets of Kabul.

The book is also a window to the world of Afghan expatriates living in America. How they tenaciously hold on to their roots in a foreign land, how their hearts ache for a homeland they can yearn for, but can't return to if they want to survive.

The Kite Runner touches a delicate subject and while the voice is innocent and candid, it doesn't shy away from talking about uneasy issues. The mind-numbing Taliban tortures on their own countrymen are enumerated in graphic detail. That completely fits the plot though, and is not out of place. In my view, it's only right the author chose to describe the horrors to us; we do need to know about these things.

But most of all, The Kite Runner is a book about love. Love that's not confined in such narrow labels such as romance. But love as the one power that redeems wrongdoing of the past, love that is honest enough to bring a smile on a face that had forgotten to widen its facial muscles in a long time, love that is willing to take a chance, again and yet again, to bring back a living dead back to life.

If you want a read that will stay with you long after you've finished reading the last sentence, pick up this title. Isabel Allende had this to say about it:

"A wonderful work... This is one of those unforgettable stories that stay with you for years. All the great themes of literature and of life are the fabric of this extraordinary novel: love, honor, guilt, fear redemption...It is so powerful that for a long time everything I read after seemed bland."

I couldn't have agreed more with her.

I do agree the first half of the book is a charming read. I liked Amir, if only for his transparent, honest narration. I also liked Hosseni's writing style a lot. It's similar to what English writers from the (Indian) subcontinent use, and thus struck a familiar chord in me.

Sury

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading this book. I had seen it in bookstores and didn't pay much attention to it. The premise seemed too "exotic" and not something I would like. But at the recommendation of a friend, I thought I'd give it a try.

This is one of the most powerful books I've ever read. I openly cried several times. And the final chapter is simply beautiful. I liked how the story comes full circle.

I didn't like Amir's character at first - thought he was a spoiled brat. But I think the author depicted him that way on purpose. By the end of the book, I was rooting for him.

Hassan, on the other hand, is the lifeblood of this novel. His haunted life is heartbreaking.

Hosseini's writing style is sparse, but effective. He puts in enough detail when he needs to. He holds nothing back, and I admire how he handles some truly horrible scenes - the rape of Hassan, the poverty of post-war Afghanistan and the cruelty of the Taliban, etc. The way he fleshes out his characters is amazing. My only criticism is an excessive use of fragments, at times, that made his prose a little stilted.

I agree that the story slowed down just a tad towards the middle, but it picks up nicely when Amir returns to Afghanistan. However, I thought the big showdown between Amir and his old nemesis was a little unbelievable. Effective, but a bit far-fetched.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book. It's a story that stays with you a long time after you've finished reading it. :)

Cheryll

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was thouroughly enchanted by the first part, as was Ray. And I know what he means by the mid part dragging. But I found it such a beautiful book that I think I needed that drag. It was just so consuming. The nostalgia, sadness, angst, regrets, etc were so haunting...the drag probably wasn't completely necessary, let's face it, but I forgave it because of the beginning. I would definately read it again. I thought it was a beautiful story.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I just started, only about a fourth of the way through. Right now I'm just not liking the main character. I'll finish and get back here.

lowvoice

Oh my God i read this as part of my GCSE English course, well I read half of it but i really loved it and I'm now looking out too buy the book from somewhere, but I have no money :(

xnova

Registered
Reaction score
Started this about eight last night, finished it at three in the morning.

I don't know where you got the "borderline homophobic" part, aside from the fact that it seems to be an avant-garde catchphrase.

I do understand where the weaker writing comment came from, although I certainly wouldn't be so audacious as to call it "amateurish". I thought the middle was an incredible portrait of immigrants trying to find a new life in America, and was touched by the struggles of a man who had already built a life for himself having to start all over, something I think Americans (Canadians too for that matter) born there take totally for granted. A colossal struggle against pride, hopelessness, disrespect, and servitude masterfully handled so that these were only peripheral issues being downgraded to "dragging" is good evidence of that.

Intimate portrait of the people of a country that most of us probably could STILL not point to on a map.

Valkyrie1

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that The Kite Runner is an excellent book, with unforgettable characters.

I don't agree that the book is homophobic. The character, Assef, is a sociopath who rapes and murders for fun. The fact that young boys are among his (many) victims does not mean that he is a homosexual.

It means that he is a child molester. One line in the movie, Shawshank Redemption, says it all: "In order to be homosexual, you have to be human. He doesn't qualify."

Assef is a monster, not a gay man.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
Top notch book. When I read books like this from 1st timers (wasn't this his first publication?), it makes me wonder why I bother. My writing just doesn't compete.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished it. Yes, it was his first novel. Superb.

For me, it only faltered when it jumped in time from Hassan and Ali leaving the house to Amir and Baba leaving Afghanistan. It took a few pages for me to realize how much time had passed from the previous chapter. From then on, it was full steam ahead, with the second large jump in time being handled much better.

Yes, Amir had some very unlikeable characteristics, but without them, there would be no story.

The ending ... I have rarely read any novel that finished so well. Just beautiful.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I have just started it, having finished, and loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. That will be hard to beat...

However, the girl who had Kite Runner before me (the daughter of a friend) did not like it all that much. She did not even finish it.

I especially am engrossed because I have been to Afghanistan, exactly in the period in which KR begins - those long haired hippies Amir speaks of, they were my friends! We stayed for quite a while in Herat, where ATSS begins. I adored Herat. It was such an atmospheric city!
I don't remember Kabul so much; my travellers cheques got stolen - and replaced - there.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
I really loved Kite Runner when I read it a few months ago. It definitely hit home on several levels... and I would agree with what's been said on the homophobic issue. There is nothing in the book that is homophobic. Everything in the book highlights the brutal experiences of wartime that people just don't normally hear about... the way it affects everyday life and rips people apart from the inside. This book portrayed Afghanistan citizens as human... with hopes, dreams, faults... with "good" people and "bad" people. In the time that it was released, there was a huge need for Americans to think something besides "Terrorism" when they looked at the Middle East. Kite Runner provided that in the neutral setting of reality-based fiction.

If you haven't already, and you're able to read about mature situations (that means it's rated "R" so don't give it to your pre-teen to read), I would definitely pick it up at your local library or bookstore.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Is it a perfect book? No. The first half of the book is wonderful, full of nostalgia and sadness, angst and regrets. The mid-book, however, drags and the story goes no where -- it's also not very believable, and the characters somewhat stereotypical. The climax is rather melodramatic, and I find it borderline homophobic. But the ending. I found it very poignant, especially the last chapter.

I do feel that the first half of his book is the best. The mid-book falters. Then it picks up nicely and becomes so riveting when the main character returns to Afghanistan to confront his past and demons. Then it drags again, until the author ends the book on a high note with a poignant last chapter.

I finished it yesterday and I know what you mean. Though I did not mind the mid-book that much, as I knew it was just an interim episode and that one day he would have to return.

***************SPOILERS**********************

I'd really love to discuss the words I highlighted. I think I know what you mean. I instinctively felt that the story had come to an end when he rescued Sohran and took him home as his son .
Even though the part about Sohran's silence and final awakening was important, I felt it wasn;t really part of the story and should have been brought in earlier.
For instance, why, after thawing to Amir at the end, did he attempt suicide for fear of going back to the orphanage? I mean the orphanage was bad, yes, but he was at least safe there. Surely it was the sexual abuse that was the terrible thing, and not the orphanage! I could understand him attempting suicide (a VERY rare thing for a child that young) at the thought of returning to the abuser, I just wasn't convinced that the thought of the orphanage could have such a traumatic effect on him. It just wasn't described as such a terrible place; after all, the orphanage boss was a good man basically.
And then falling into such a silence afterwards, for such a long time. Was it a delayed reaction to the deaths of his parents? If so, it should have come immediately after the rescue, so that he did not thaw to Amir until much later.

Also, the moment Amir was told that the child was an orphan I immediately knew Amir HAD to adopt him. I found it strange that he didn't know this right away as well, that he even considered putting him in that fictitious orphanage. And why didn't Sohran rebel at the thought of THAT orphanage as well? And why did Amir even ask him if he;d like to go to America with him? Usually you don't ask such young children such big questions. especially as there really wasn't another option.

I'm only saying that if it were MY book (I wish! To write a book like this would be a dream!) I'd have done the ending differently: I;d have had Amir knowing right away that he had to adopt Sohran and the whole hunt for Sohran would be because he is HIS son as well as Hassan's. And I wouldn't have Sohran speaking to him at first, and then suddenly not speaking.

The final ending, though, was perfect. I just think it should have come earlier, perhaps back in Pakistan.

I absolutely adored the Afghani setting. Of all the countries I passed through on that trip to India, Afghanistan was far and away my favourite. It just had an atmosphere about it, something very special. It;s so sad to read about its destruction.

The trouble about having a book like this on the market, and its follow up, is that everything I write now and could ever write just feels so trite and shallow. Talk about conflict! How can I ever live up to this?:cry:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yes, Sharon, I agree with your analysis and that's how I felt the near-end of the book but Hosseini saved it with the final chapter. I think dramatically and character-wise it would have been stronger the way you described. I mean Amir is ambivalent right up to the end, even after he rescued the boy! I just wanted to smack him. I felt that the suicide was melodramatic and unnecessary and it actually dragged instead of evoking a strong emotion -- for me anyway. That's the part when I felt he was being manipulative.

Last edited:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late, but I'm adding my 2 cents now.

I finished the book about 2 months ago, and I loved it. I shared it with my coworkers - I'd slam the book shut in the lounge and say to whom ever was nearby, "I can't believe he just said that" or "did that" and "poor Hassan" and "oh my goodness, no!".

A book that gets me to do that, is a good book. And Kalel Hosseini paints a fantastic picture of Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
*** spoiler alert ***

I loved this book. I agree the suicide didn't quite fit in, but for me, the issue was more with how the suicide was done, as opposed to why. I could understand the why-- in his mind, the kid isn't making a distinction between the orphanage and the man who took him from the orphanage. If he goes back to the orphanage, there will be other men who will come take him from there.

But a blade in a bathtub? Kids in Afghanistan do not have the kind of media that would help them know this at such a young age. It wasn't believable for me.

Also, unlike other readers, I actually liked that Amir didn't want to take this kid back with him at first. That's realistic. Most people would have the same reaction. I was expecting it to take the Hindi-movie style turn where Amir discovers it's his half-brother's kid and so has to take him back. But he doesn't. He's sort of forced into it.

And the end. I liked it very much. Again, I was expecting it to be a happily-ever-after sort of ending, and I'm glad that Hosseini didn't resort to that. The boy going into shock and losing his voice made the story much more realistic and poignant.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
The Kite Runner

I read the first couple pages of this on Amazon, and I'm thinking about getting it. I saw previews for the movie, though, and was uninterested in seeing it.

Any thoughts? Any of you guys read it? Please don't give away too much, though, since I haven't yet read it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's already a thread on the book.

p.s. I think the book is so much better than the movie. The movie is really mediocre.