Lee Child

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this thread has already had a run, but I looked and couldn't find any.

Has anyone read this guy? One of my former students came to visit me at Thanksgiving and said I had to read this guy. He was right. I read The Enemy and now I'm reading Bad Luck and Trouble. He is a really talented writer, I think.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I've read several of his books, though I can't recall the titles. I prefer his early works to the latest one I read, but will still buy anything he writes.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I first read one of his books. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did.

I think part of it shows the allure of a good first person story and how it draws the reader in. I also noticed he writes in short terse sentences which makes for good flow. He writes a good fast narrative with a personable POV character.

And of course, as every good writer, he piles the questions on as the story goes (which is incidentally very effective when used with first person also.)

I’ve only read two so far but I enjoyed them.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I thought he only had the one book published in first person POV. I think it was a little experiment and the rest are in third person POV. Can't remember which one but I'll check it out when I get home. Big fan here.

JJ

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Child's so awesome. Even my dad reads him, and he's NOT a reader.

Huh, Dad won't even read my stuff!!

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
'Killing Floor' is the one in first-person POV.
I first read 'The Hard Way' and liked it a lot, nearly as much as Daniel Silva's books. They're both examples of the kind of thriller writers I want to write like.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Crais wrote Hostage (the one they made into a movie), just so you get an idea of his stuff.

Let me know what other authors you find out there so I can give it a go.

~Thrill

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Crais, but again the stuff he writes in third person POV and not the first person 'Cole' books - just a personal choice.

At the moment I'm hooked on Michael Connelly and his 'Detective Bosch' series. Just spent the break reading a couple. If you like Childs then I suggest you try Connelly.

JJ

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I'm a big fan of Crais, but again the stuff he writes in third person POV and not the first person 'Cole' books - just a personal choice.

At the moment I'm hooked on Michael Connelly and his 'Detective Bosch' series. Just spent the break reading a couple. If you like Childs then I suggest you try Connelly.

JJ

I like both types of books Crais does.

Thank you for the tip on Connelly! I'll get one.

~Thrill

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score

JJ

I've read Connelly and like him alot. I also like Denis Lehane and as Will Lavender said in a previous thread, he may be the best of the genre. I also like James Lee Burke and James Sallis. I will definitly try Crais.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I've read Connelly and like him alot. I also like Denis Lehane and as Will Lavender said in a previous thread, he may be the best of the genre. I also like James Lee Burke and James Sallis. I will definitly try Crais.

Wow. The best, huh? Now I feel like I need to run to Borders & grab a Denis LeHane! Okay. Tomorrow, I am seriously going.

~Thrill

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I was mistaken then. I'm reading 'Killing Floor' currently and, for some reason, assumed the other book I read years ago ('Persuader', I believe) was also in first person.

And I agree about Lehane and Connelly. Good stuff.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I like Child a lot, but I think Connelly and Lehane are the two best in the genre, followed by Ian Rankin and a guy named CJ Box that not many people have heard of.

My favorite Connelly is a newer one, The Closers. It was the first Bosch I ever read, and I loved how plot-oriented it was. That book is 300 pages of plot, and I felt like I had never read anything quite like it. It made me go back to the earlier books, and there's a lot of good stuff in early Connelly.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I read Persuader and really enjoyed it. I noticed his clipped writing style right away and it didn't bother me. Yes, Miss Snark has a not-so-secret crush on Jack Reacher!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I like Child a lot, but I think Connelly and Lehane are the two best in the genre, followed by Ian Rankin and a guy named CJ Box that not many people have heard of.

My favorite Connelly is a newer one, The Closers. It was the first Bosch I ever read, and I loved how plot-oriented it was. That book is 300 pages of plot, and I felt like I had never read anything quite like it. It made me go back to the earlier books, and there's a lot of good stuff in early Connelly.

It's interesting that you say that, Will, because I have a strong feeling the greatest strength of your debut novel is based on a very strong plot. I may be wrong, but I think that's correct. On the other hand, I really like James Sallis and James Lee Burke because they do a lot with character, (I'm not implying you don't work character, but I think from the reviews, the critics are enamored with plot in your novel). I think my greatest strength is character development. I'm a bit weak on plot--mostly because I'm lazy and disorganized. My mother just read The Closers and loved it.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com

Yeah, Miss Snark was a big fan of Lee Child's work. I am surprised, though, that not many peolpe are mentioning Harlan Coben. I think he's a nice writer. My mind takes him in easily. (If that makes sense). Now that I think about it, I say a lot of weird things. I describe reading Dean Koontz like taking a warm bath. It really is that way for me.

~Thrill

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score

The Closers is next on my list. Over the break I read The Black Echo, The Last Coyote and I'm almost finished City of Bones - all Detective Bosch novels that flow very well and have kept me guessing right up to the end of the each book. They also seem to have a logical flow to them. I highly recommend these books for those stuggling with how to fit in 'backstory' information. Simple fomula of one para here or there or through dialogue.

JJ

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting that you say that, Will, because I have a strong feeling the greatest strength of your debut novel is based on a very strong plot. I may be wrong, but I think that's correct. On the other hand, I really like James Sallis and James Lee Burke because they do a lot with character, (I'm not implying you don't work character, but I think from the reviews, the critics are enamored with plot in your novel). I think my greatest strength is character development. I'm a bit weak on plot--mostly because I'm lazy and disorganized. My mother just read The Closers and loved it.

Yeah, my novel is definitely a typhoon of plot. However, the reviews that have come in so far have sort of picked at that, and I think one of the reasons is because people in general prefer characters over plot in novels.* I really believe that. You really can't write a decent novel -- let alone sell one -- without good characters. And while Obedience is big on plot, I think it does have believable characters. Yet, it's the puzzle of the concept that will sell the book.

Another writer I enjoy is Sue Grafton. Her novels manage to be deft character studies, but she can really turn a good plot. One of her novels, I believe P, is resolved in the very last sentence. Not often you see mystery novels that do that.

* You can have both, of course. There are great novels that are published every week that have both tremendous, three dimensional characters and deft plots. But I almost made a conscious choice at the beginning that I was going to write something that was almost like a trick, a book that set out early on to make the reader wonder what was real and what was a deception on my part. To do that well, I almost had to stick the concept into a whirlwind plot.

I just completely derailed this thread with my rambling. Sorry!

Last edited: