• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I don't know my story's genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royale

Everyone Must Pay
Registered
Reaction score
I want to submit my MS when it's done but I have no idea what genre it is.

My plot is basically an alternate timeline from real life and the main plot is a mix of police and political characters.

I had a google and alternate timeline fiction is generally under sci-fi according to wiki, which doesn't seem right.

The only genre I can think to submit for is fantasy but I don't have dragons or magic or a medieval setting or any of the general fantasy stuff, same as for urban fantasy I don't actually have the fantasy elements.

Help?

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
When you say alternate timeline, are the mechanics of the world the same as ours? Is history altered? Is there any basis in real-world history?

Royale

Everyone Must Pay
Registered
Reaction score
When you say alternate timeline, are the mechanics of the world the same as ours? Is history altered? Is there any basis in real-world history?

Yes, still the same things. Aliens, dragons, zombies etc didn't happen. I just destabilised a country in 1988 and fast forwarded a decade, then started my story there.

So everything from 1988 onwards is my own timeline of economic collapse, feuds etc.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't sound SFF to me.

What's the story about? What's the exact difference from our world?

Sound more like crime fiction to me.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Sounds like Alternate History to me. Sometimes that's seen as a speculative sub-genre, but not always (depends on the elements of the story, me thinks). It's a wide enough genre that agents and editors would know what you're talking about if you listed that as your genre.

Royale

Everyone Must Pay
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like Alternate History to me. Sometimes that's seen as a speculative sub-genre, but not always (depends on the elements of the story, me thinks). It's a wide enough genre that agents and editors would know what you're talking about if you listed that as your genre.

Okay, so submissions wise. Which area do I submit for? There isn't a AF wing of agents awaiting manuscripts. Should I just submit to people asking for general fiction?

Slightly at a loss.

This feels like it's going to be a b***h to get an agent for.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score
This feels like it's going to be a b***h to get an agent for.

Alt history is a tried, true and legit part of SF, such as Man in the High Castle

Don't fret. Agents have no clue what they want until they've read it, passed on it -- and watched someone else sell it :)

And to answer the question proper: any agent that lists "SF" without a major qualifier. There's a awesome sticky listing SF/F agents in the SF/F forums. Might give it a go.

Nothings worse than not being flavor/genre of the week.

Good luck

*edited to add link to agents

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on other elements/tone/whatever or how it's written, etc, couldn't it be mainstream or literary, rather than narrowing it down further...?

I dunno. Hard to tell from a quick description. :D But I have seen descriptions on agent sites that, in listing what they represent, get as general as "commercial fiction" or "literary fiction," if you feel your book does not have significant SFF/other genre elements.

Don't fret. Agents have no clue what they want until they've read it, passed on it -- and watched someone else sell it :)

Or, you know, they just don't represent that genre.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I agree with using "alternate history" in your query to identify the genre.

Agents? Again, I agree about starting with agents who accept sci-fi/fantasy. But I also think you could target agents who represent contemporary fiction or fiction in general. (It's not before 1900...or before WWII, which are frequently used as cut-offs for historical adult fiction. YA "historical" can be more recent.)

It won't hurt you to query agents who represent contemporary, as long as your're clear in your query that the novel does alternate history.

And buzhidao is right that, perhaps based on how it is written, it could be literary, in which case you could also query agents looking for literary fiction.

Really, I think that, as long as you aren't querying agents whose interests are wildly outside of your writing (such as agents who only represent non-fiction or mainly represent romance or thrillers, etc.), you're fine. The worst they can do is say no.

WriterJane

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it's an alternate history novel. For whatever it's worth, people looking for alternate history in libraries or bookstores often look in the science fiction section. Agents that represent science fiction & fantasy authors are probably a good bet.

Sounds like an interesting book!

Status
Not open for further replies.