Any rappers/rap lyricists out there?

Adelaide

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I'd love to know about the creative process of any MCs or lyricists who are out there. What's your inspiration? What's your writing process? Does the beat come first or do the lyrics? If you could categorize your flavor of hip-hop, what would it be?

Any insight would be lovely. Thanks!! :)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One here. To give you a quick answer to the primary questions:

Inspiration: Whatever the beat tells me to write about. I go with the vibe and the rhythm.

Writing Process: I'm quite meticulous. It's trendy these days to brag about how quickly you can construct a verse. That, to me, is boring. I try to draw in elements from other genres and mediums as I see fit. I recently wrote a verse with references to some country songs to capture some of my favorite, playful laments. I like to take my time, think a bit outside the box, and craft something accessible and penetrable, but with layers just the same.

Lyrics or Beat First: For full verses, beat comes first. If I come up with a line or two sans beat I put it on paper in a section of my notebook(s) designated for such lines--in case I catch writer's block, hopefully they can break the spell. Otherwise, I always try to absorb the beat before I go with the lyrics.

Flavor of Hip-Hop: Hard to categorize. The three biggest influences on my style are Andre 3000, Common and The Gza, which is a bit of a grab bag, but it helps me to be diverse.

Adelaide

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, Jcomp! The tension between the quickly assembled lyric and the carefully thought out one is interesting. I love the idea of freestyling, for example, and the spontaneous genius of those moments. But I also love meticulously crafted song as well. Do you ever just freestyle and then incorporate some of that material into the song?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, Jcomp! The tension between the quickly assembled lyric and the carefully thought out one is interesting. I love the idea of freestyling, for example, and the spontaneous genius of those moments. But I also love meticulously crafted song as well. Do you ever just freestyle and then incorporate some of that material into the song?

I do it a lot more now since I have access to a home studio with no need to pay. It really depends on the type of song. If the song feels a little more shapeless, doesn't really have an exact designation, then it can be fun to freestyle a bit and then see what I can keep and what I can discard. If it feels like it's going to be something with a more definitive direction, then I much prefer to write it all out, and possibly re-write a couple of times to get it where it needs to be. I'm practically obsessed with eliminating chaff though.