Finding a new favorite author

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
How often does it happen for you?
My stable of favorites was well developed by the time I finished college and has remained fairly constant throughout my life. There is such a wealth of great writing throughout history that I know I shall never want for lack of something unexplored. Further, most modern writers appeal to me little, so I freely admit that my attempts to locate new favorites has been half hearted.
Picking up the latest release of the Next Big Thing has mostly left me disappointed and I soon turn back to those who truly stimulate me and challenge my intellect.
Recently, however, I stumbled upon a modern essayist who quickly found his way into my inner circle. His use of language is profound and exact and his grasp of history and depth of understanding truly took me by the throat. I'm still trying to assimilate his work into my thoughts.
This has been a fascinating and somewhat unsettling experience for me and I'm thrilled to have found one who has the ability to force his way into my thoughts the way he has.

How often do you find a new "favorite?" What criteria do you use in judging whether a writer has what it takes to challenge you?

marie_w

Registered
Reaction score
It's not often for me but i recently found a new favorite writer - Veronica Roth.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of novels by Lisa Gardner.

Right now she's my favorite.

Dana_B

...living on hammock time...
Registered
Reaction score
I am typically not a hard reader to please, thus I find new favorites often--it just depends on what I'm in the mood to read. Some days I devour light n fun romances (lately, that's Bella Andre's Sullivans series), some days I re-read eternal favorites (Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series), and still other days I'm all about nonfiction reads on a current passion or travel. (Many more 'genres', but you get the idea!)
All to say, my criteria is just that--what I'm in the mood to read and what crosses my path that fits at the time.
:)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
My list of favorite authors has changed over time, and I can't remember exactly when I initiated any of those changes. I do know, however, that I added Cormac McCarthy to my list of All-Time Favorite Novelists a couple of years ago. I read The Road and thought it was good, so I decided to try some more of his work. I ended up reading all three parts of "The Border Trilogy" (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain) and was completely blown away. I had no choice but to add Cormac to my list of all-time favorites, which also includes Jack (London), Ernest (Hemingway), and a few others.

I also seriously dig spy novels and international thrillers. My favorite author in this category, hands down, is the late great Adam Hall. I'm slowly working my way through his series of "Quiller" books. On my to-read list in this genre are Gerald Seymour's four novels about Northern Ireland, and maybe a few others. If I'm impressed, I'll definitely add Gerald to the list.

My nonfiction reading tastes are sort of narrow; mostly it's just U.S. history and foreign affairs. Mostly I'm into authors who present a "big picture" of international history, and a few of my favorites are Andrew Bacevich, Niall Ferguson, and Walter LaFeber. Of course I'm always on the lookout for more authors who write these kinds of books, so I recently added "three more that I want to explore": Amy Chua, E.J. Hobsbawm, and Walter McDougall.

Last edited:

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Dean Koontz
There can only be one.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually find new favorites through the recommendations of friends. I found Neil Gaimann this way. I discovered Tom Perrotta by hearing him speak at a book fair, and Bill Bryson when there were signs all over town for A Walk in the Woods. I still find a new one now and then by taking a chance on a bargain bin book at the supermarket. That's how I got turn on to Niall Ferguson's history books.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I still find a new one now and then by taking a chance on a bargain bin book at the supermarket. That's how I got turn on to Niall Ferguson's history books.

Yeah, I bought Andrew Bacevich's The Limits of Power at Dollar Tree. I'd read a few of his articles in the Los Angeles Times before that, but I gotta thank Dollar Tree for introducing me to his books! :Thumbs:

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm rereading all my old favorites. Just finished 11/23/63, and NeverWhere.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
How often do you find a new "favorite?" What criteria do you use in judging whether a writer has what it takes to challenge you?

I'm a very simple creature. If a story entertains me, and I (think I) understand it, then I like it. If it puts me in another world, and gives my mind nice and shiny new playthings (ideas, twists, characters), I really like it. If the same author pulls that off more than once, I tend to like the author.

It's not literary or profound, but it works for me.

The last new favorite authors I "found" would probably be Brandon Sanderson and Jonathan Stroud. I've only read one work of Catheryne M. Valente (the first of her Fairyland series), but I'm chomping at the bit to try more. (Lately, my budget hasn't been very kind to buying hard-copy books; I tried pre-ordering one on Kindle, but it was cancelled. I really need to reserve them at the library.)

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
I will get recommendations both from friends and Amazon. I like that Amazon does give me suggestions...I scroll through and see if any sound interesting. I do the equivalent of standing in a bookstore and checking the backs of covers in the sections I like to see if anything jumps out at me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I also find new authors at conventions. If I like what they have to say, I go read their stuff. Found my last favorite that way, Gini Koch and I love her stuff. I want to be entertained so not looking for terribly complicated, brainy work either.

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score
Bret Easton Ellis since American Psycho came out and i doubt that will ever change.

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't happen very often for me, but I've just picked up some books (on my Kindle) by Jeremy Robinson and really getting into them.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think it depends on the books, I don't try to look for better authors but rather better books/storylines