Last Movie You Watched...

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister, her fiance, and I watched The Princess Bride last night. I read the book this summer and had only seen part of the movie when I was little, so I wanted to actually watch the whole thing and see how close to the book it was.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Drag Me to Hell... because I needed something to cheer me up.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Insomnia is quite good (though I understand not as good as the original which I haven't seen), it's fun just to watch Robin Williams play the bad guy. Directed by the same guy who rebooted Batman (Christopher Nolan).

In America got some Oscar noms, but I've never seen it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Tales from the Black Freighter. It was fine, not excellent. It loses power without Watchmen, that's for sure.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Sex and the City - the movie.
I was amazed at how they succeeded in dragging this out to more than two hours - it was HBO so no commercials.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Currently watching "The Haunting."

There's a scene where the woman is going to the house on the hill and she has a run-in with the caretaker. She speeds off and the camera has a focus of her in the car and the road through the woods behind. The incidental music became strident and it reminded me of the music from Psycho and where Vera Miles is escaping with the money she stole. Just struck me as unintentionally funny. (and since this movie came out 3 years after Psycho, it might have been Richard Wise's homage to Hitchcock.)

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Blood: The Last Vampire (2009 / live action version ). If you're the sort of person who likes this sort of thing, it might be worth a sunday afternoon rental. It's along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer plus Big Trouble In Little China minus Doesn't Take Itself Too Seriously. Overall about a C+.

Pluses:
  1. Really great sword fight at around the 1h mark (ninja land shark!)
  2. Good CGI on boss baddie's dress in the final battle.
  3. Ninjas!
  4. After ~26,000 hours of study, I'm ready to conclude that you really do need an epicanthic fold in order to properly convey the sentiment "i'm about to cut you in half" without opening your mouth. (c.f. Lucy Liu v. Uma Thurman, 2003)

Minuses
  1. When they're not sword fighting they sometimes talk.
  2. Really crap CGI on everything that isn't the boss baddie's dress.
  3. Vampires. Am I the only one who's not a little bored with them?
  4. Jean Reno was apparently not available for the role of Rupert Giles the council guy.

Interested readers should also check out the anime version (same name) from the early 2000s. I'm not usually a big anime fan, but I thought that was good.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mirrors, with Kiefer Sutherland. Not bad. Annoying ending, which could've been improved by stealing an idea from Michael J Fox's Frighteners.
After the nun supposedly defeats the demon and all the mirrors explode, releasing the trapped souls, IMO all the souls should've converged on the demon/nun and taken nasty, well-deserved revenge. Instead, they make us think Sutherland survives, but really didn't and is now somehow trapped behind every mirror/window in the world. Not logical within the movie framework or within the plot as it developed. One cool low-key special effect does not a satisfying ending make.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Eragon
Pretty dreadful
And such a stellar cast -tsk tsk.
Mind you greatly enjoyed All of Me last night.
About to try a meryl streep uma thurman piece, prime of something. wish me luck (smiley)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Eragon
Pretty dreadful
And such a stellar cast -tsk tsk.
Mind you greatly enjoyed All of Me last night.
About to try a meryl streep uma thurman piece, prime of something. wish me luck (smiley)

Eragon stands like Lord of the Rings, no wait, let me re-start that sentense. Eragon stands like Dragonheart compared with In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale which I just saw, the horror, the horror!

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Orphan. I'm sure we here on the writer's site have all seen those photographs of teetering towers of screenplays in Hollywood production offices, yes? The fact that this movie got filmed is proof that the system is flawed. F-. I hate everyone involved and all their relatives.

From the "My Mother Said If You Can't Say Something Nice" department, I thought the closing credits were unusually well done.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Ring, Ringu, the great A Tale of Two Sisters, and Memento Mori.

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
UP.. which.. eh lol It was cute and I love the "revealing end" part but.. it was kind of boring lol

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching What Dreams May Come for about the upteenth time.

Uh, spoileriffic bit below, in white:

The very end, where Marie cries out, "Mommy?" just kills me. I weep every time.

Now, off to begin my NaNo stuff!