• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fox Literary Agency (Diana Fox)

cnorman18

Registered
Reaction score
Fox Literary (agency)

Two questions:

(1) Does anyone have any experience with Diana Fox at Fox Literary?

(2) In response to a query, she asked for the complete manuscript of my 140,000-word novel. This was about two weeks ago. How long should I wait before I follow up -- or should I follow up at all?

Thanks,

cnorman18

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Two questions:

(1) Does anyone have any experience with Diana Fox at Fox Literary?

(2) In response to a query, she asked for the complete manuscript of my 140,000-word novel. This was about two weeks ago. How long should I wait before I follow up -- or should I follow up at all?

Thanks,

cnorman18

In general, you want to respond to requests for materials (either partial or full) as promptly as possible. It's okay to wait a few days while doing one last read through to kill typos, etc, but you should respond promptly and in a businesslike fashion.

I'm also curious why you would have queried someone you aren't certain you want to follow up with? Seems to me like that sort of research should happen before you query to avoid wasting everyone's time.

cnorman18

Registered
Reaction score
In general, you want to respond to requests for materials (either partial or full) as promptly as possible. It's okay to wait a few days while doing one last read through to kill typos, etc, but you should respond promptly and in a businesslike fashion.

I'm also curious why you would have queried someone you aren't certain you want to follow up with? Seems to me like that sort of research should happen before you query to avoid wasting everyone's time.

Sorry; let me clarify. This was my first post to the Cooler, and I just wondered if there was any additional information available. I wasn't asking about whether to follow up on her request for my MS -- I sent it within an hour of her request -- but on when I should follow up after sending. I was going to wait two weeks and then ask if she received it, but after reading this thread, that's obviously too quick. 2-3 months for responses to MS requests seems to be typical, so I'll just get back to work on my current project as well as sending out more queries. Thanks!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Diana took nearly eight months to respond to one of my queries a couple of years ago, and that was only after I'd emailed her to let her know I had a slightly new version available. She asked for a partial, and got back with me a few months after that. It was still a 'no', but she did give me some detailed and valuable feedback.

For literary-style SF&F and contemporary stuff, she's be a great agent. Just be aware she's busy with existing clients, and her time frame might drive you nuts.

Two weeks is too short a time for any agent. When you query or send a mms, simply be prepared to let it bide for at least 3 months, if they don't give a time-limit of their own.

cnorman18

Registered
Reaction score
Diana took nearly eight months to respond to one of my queries a couple of years ago, and that was only after I'd emailed her to let her know I had a slightly new version available. She asked for a partial, and got back with me a few months after that. It was still a 'no', but she did give me some detailed and valuable feedback.

For literary-style SF&F and contemporary stuff, she's be a great agent. Just be aware she's busy with existing clients, and her time frame might drive you nuts.

Two weeks is too short a time for any agent. When you query or send a mms, simply be prepared to let it bide for at least 3 months, if they don't give a time-limit of their own.

Thanks very much for the tips! This isn't my first rodeo -- about thirty years ago, I had an agent for a YA novel I'd written, and it took a few weeks for everything -- but that was back in the days of snail mail only. Strange that things take so much longer now that we have instant email. Anyway, thanks for dragging me into the 21st.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hey, I came back to the game after only a 12-year hiatus, and it was a weird new world. Just remember that, though email and social media can provide faster initial contact, agents' workloads have to focus on existing clients and projects. That takes time.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with Diana? From what I've read, she appears to be a good agent, despite not seeming to have much of an online presence. Is http://www.foxliterary.com active any more, by the way? It's listed on PM, but the link only redirects back.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
She would be a good fit for me, but my mail server won't recognise fox literary as a valid address. Has anybody any ideas how to get a query to her?

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That was my intention when I opened the account but I'm not organised enough to keep track of two accounts. From what I've read about Ms Fox I'm going to have to check in regularly for months now.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This works for me: I have a database of submissions logs which I update each time I add entries and resolutions. I also estimate the agency's/editor's response times (from their Query tracker or social media history) - or I give them a standard four months from sub date. I enter that day in my Google calendar, also with a note on required action (nudge, ignore, write off as a no).
When the date rolls around I remember it.

Then I forget about the submission and work on other things.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
You can also forward your mail from gmail (or to gmail) if you don't want to keep switching between the two. I use hotmail, and have my gmail forwarded there.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
A Bit OT, most email programs such as Opera Mail and Thunderbird can access mail from all your accounts. (I have three!) So if something comes in you won't miss it.

On Topic, it took 5 months for Ms Fox to respond on a query. She's pretty busy.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Sent query for a Fantasy Romance on 15/12/14 (from a Hotmail account, for those keeping track of email accounts - I didn't seem to experience any problems sending or receiving).
Encouraging and not 'dear author' rejection on 24/12.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, she must have really hated it
Q: 12/17
R: 12/26.
It's genre and it's literary but it must also have that extra something that made her run a mile.

Siducer

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone queried her recently? Sent her one on 6/14. 1 month later no reply. I know she can take a while just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts? Wonder if she is on June submissions yet.

Singers

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query on the 21st December and a follow up on the 19th January and still heard absolutely nothing. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed without seeming *push* which, as an Englishwoman is the worst thing imaginable. We queue for tea, for goodness sake ;)