• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Types of paper for submitting to publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this may be a dumb one but does it matter what type of paper you use when sending a manuscript to a publisher? Used to be that the rule was a good bond paper but now? Do I need to use the more expensive ream of bond?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Nope. standard copy paper is good. You want to avoid anything too cheap or light that will rip easily. When I was first submitting back in the dark ages there was a paper called onion skin, which was easy to erase mistakes on typewritten paper. :: shudder :: That was the worst to try and keep neat.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Do people actually submit hardcopies to publishers these days? Sorry, not trying to be rude. Have you had a request for the MS, or is this on spec? And are you going direct to publishers, rather than trying to find an agent?

I tend to think this is a very old school way to approach it, and you might want to find out if this is still the done thing... I honestly don't know, but I don't know anyone who does this.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Do people actually submit hardcopies to publishers these days? Sorry, not trying to be rude. Have you had a request for the MS, or is this on spec? And are you going direct to publishers, rather than trying to find an agent?

I tend to think this is a very old school way to approach it, and you might want to find out if this is still the done thing... I honestly don't know, but I don't know anyone who does this.

Many publishers still want hard copy, even when they're set up for electronic. Some even want both. The old school still has a fair number of students in it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use the cheapest copy paper I can find, and I don't like to read manuscripts printed on it. I use 24lb copy paper with a brightness of at least 96, and 98 is better, when I can find it locally.

Such paper is easier to handle, and easier to read, but still costs only around nine bucks per ream.

I do use pretty darned expensive paper and envelopes for any queries I have to send out snail mail. I've found it gets a better, faster response than whatever the WalMart special is.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I also use business stationery for hard copy queries. A nice textured ivory paper with my letterhead at the top, which is easily done as a template in Word, Pages, or another word processor works great. Manuscripts or sample pages get printed on standard white printer/copier paper.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The only real factor I'd suppose would be the brightness of the paper.

If you get really cheap grade it may have a low brightness and be a bit difficult to read.

Also I guess the thinness. Thinness is fine. You don't have to use heavy stock, but it shouldn't be as flimsy as tissue paper.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only real factor I'd suppose would be the brightness of the paper.

If you get really cheap grade it may have a low brightness and be a bit difficult to read.

Also I guess the thinness. Thinness is fine. You don't have to use heavy stock, but it shouldn't be as flimsy as tissue paper.

Thinness is a factor because it's difficult to separate thin sheets, and they aren't very bright. 24nb isn't very heavy, and is just one step above the standard cheap crap most use for unimportant things.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I also use business stationery for hard copy queries. A nice textured ivory paper with my letterhead at the top, which is easily done as a template in Word, Pages, or another word processor works great. Manuscripts or sample pages get printed on standard white printer/copier paper.

Textured ivory is my most common paper, but I sometimes us a light gray.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this may be a dumb one but does it matter what type of paper you use when sending a manuscript to a publisher? Used to be that the rule was a good bond paper but now? Do I need to use the more expensive ream of bond?

Has the publisher asked for a paper manuscript? Lot of submissions are done electronically these days.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Check the publisher's guidelines. If they have a preference, they will say so.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use the cheapest copy paper I can find, and I don't like to read manuscripts printed on it. I use 24lb copy paper with a brightness of at least 96, and 98 is better, when I can find it locally.

Such paper is easier to handle, and easier to read, but still costs only around nine bucks per ream.

I do use pretty darned expensive paper and envelopes for any queries I have to send out snail mail. I've found it gets a better, faster response than whatever the WalMart special is.

Watch OfficeMax, et al for sales. A few times a year they have cases of nice copy paper on sale cheap. That's when I stock up.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
I am submitting to an indie press that wants the whole manuscript qith the query.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Watch OfficeMax, et al for sales. A few times a year they have cases of nice copy paper on sale cheap. That's when I stock up.

Thanks. We don't have local Max, but there is one about twenty miles from here, and I drive past it often. I'll stop in next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.