• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Wanted -- Fantasy/Western

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings. I'm looking for anyone who might be interesting in reading the current draft of my fantasy/western. It's 100,000 words.

To pique possible interest, here's a query that I've sent through QLH a few times. Not approved, but certainly improved. I need to get the kinks ironed out before I do anymore work on it.

Sure, Nikkas may be a criminal, but he’s never killed anyone except for that one time. And it wasn’t even his fault. Unfortunately, the other crimes being pegged on him were crimes he didn’t commit. He only had a tiny involvement and none of it by choice. The day he’s shot, killed, and somehow revived ends up being the best day of his life. Everyone thinks he’s dead, and certain parties quite pissed off at him have absolutely no reason to hunt him anymore.

After he winds up in a quaint mining town, Nikkas uses it as the perfect opportunity to start over. Everything goes well. He’s given a job. He has a roof over his head. He even makes some new friends.

Unfortunately, his new life isn’t meant to be. A stranger shows up into town, threatening to unravel Nikkas’s past unless he helps to find an old sword—the same rusty sword he had absolutely no part in stealing. Should he refuse or fail, he could very well die—for real this time.
I can take whatever criticism you throw at me.

EDIT: The first chapter is in SYW.

Last edited:

Ergodic Mage

Neophyte Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I read your piece in SYW and would be interested in beta reading your novel.

I'm fairly new at beta reading with one other novel and 4 short stories, but the author seemed happy with my write-ups. So maybe I'm acceptable ha

I'm not good at pointing out grammar problems sine stink grammar of mine does indeed. ha

I am pretty good at following through the plot, characters, pacing and general story content. What I have a knack for is following technology/magic/mysticism throughout a story and finding hole and inconsistencies. Along with that is matching up technology with people, cultures and societies.
I also attempt to find important scenes in a story and tell you how it comes across to me. This (hopefully) allows you to judge whether the points you want to get across actually did with me.
I won't hold back what I think but do my best to it approach as constructive criticism.

Depending on my own time constraints I can do a detailed read (with basic notes) a novel in 2-3 weeks. A write-up may take a week or two depending on what you are looking for and how detailed you want it.

Just noticed this sounds like a resume... thankfully I have a daytime job. ha

I do not ask for anything in return, I'm just this great giving person; ask my wife-errr never mind. PM me for followups.

Status
Not open for further replies.