it's discouraging

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
That pretty much sums it up! And it's why persistence is key.

Welcome to AW! :Hug2:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Even when you know the submission is a long shot, it's still a let down when you get that rejection letter.

So true! But the more you do it, the better you bounce back. You're allowed to be disappointed, but don't be discouraged. Try to focus on what you can control - writing and submissions - and take any positive response from an editor as a bonus rather than the fuel you need to keep your writing dreams alive.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is a business and to succeed in any business is hard. The skill needed to succeed is develop by experience .
One experience for the beginner to endure is rejection and failure. If you are able to use rejection as part of the development process, eventually you can succeed.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
So true. But don't let it stop you from submitting again...and again...and again if you have to. Just make sure to do your research and not send it to any place. (not that you're doing that, but still) I've realized really honing down on what the publisher likes and accepts is a big deal. A lot of times it just isn't the right fit.

Keep pressing on until you find the right fit for your work. It will fit eventually. And I couldn't agree with Tri more, keep submitting. Keep trying.

Even if it's the ms. the more you send out, the better possibility of getting some kind of feedback to guide you in your writing, whether it's to revise (query, synopsis and or ms) or completely writing another and starting new all over again. If you want it bad enough, keep trying, keep shaping your work up, believe me it will fit somewhere.

Good luck and Welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. It definitely helps relieve the stress of submitting.

xmach

GRRM and Weber's Love Child
Registered
Reaction score
It's like dating. Even If you craft a good pickup line it may get you slapped 99 times out of a hundred, but that one you get to take home makes the red cheeks worth it.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Better a rejection letter than wondering if your query got stuck in someone's spam filter?? :Shrug:

FWIW OP, there are many tales on AW of success after absolutely staggering levels of persistence, so keep at it. And good luck.

chongjasmine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
singaporechristianfiction.blogspot.com
If you have been constantly rejected by traditional publishers and yet you know your work is great, you can perhaps consider the road to self-publishing.

I have read many great works by self-published authors, and they usually are able to sell their books in thousands if they are really good.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know the feeling ((((((((big hugs)))))))))) Keep on sending those queries!

D.C. Lewis

Registered
Reaction score
I take solace in the fact that even popular writers like J.K Rowling were turned down a dozen times or more before their work was published. Even after 13 rejections, I still haven't given up hope and went ahead and self-published. Really glad that I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.