General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Two days ago I saw 4 episodes of Fairy Tale. I really liked the characters, because they seem nice, though I'm not sure I can stand to watch it because of the shouting, overacting, and violence.

I wonder if there's a Japanese term for this kind of non-realistic anime where they shout a lot, the girls kick the boys in the face or kick them so they fly over the city, there are letters over the characters, the characters sometimes have faces like smilies "X" or "^^", characters can be flattened on the ground like in Tom and Jerry, and so on. Do you guys know if this is called something?

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
"Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past." Lol.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
"Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past." Lol.

Oh, do watch Steins;Gate.

I wonder if there's a Japanese term for this kind of non-realistic anime where they shout a lot, the girls kick the boys in the face or kick them so they fly over the city, there are letters over the characters, the characters sometimes have faces like smilies "X" or "^^", characters can be flattened on the ground like in Tom and Jerry, and so on. Do you guys know if this is called something?

Not sure. This sort of thing pops up all the time. I've heard thos "smily faces" referred to as SD ("super deformed"), but that's really a stylistic touch I've seen in a lot of otherwise pretty serious shows, such as Kimi ni Todoke. Punching guys into lower earth orbit is a staple of harem shows (such as Love Hina).

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've just watched the first episode of the second season of Nurarihyon no Mago (sp?) It's probably still not going to be a master piece, but I'm impressed. They kept the cute design from the first, but somehow defused it. Thus the darker side comes out better. Which makes the humour more mischievous, which is attractive. Also, the more alien youkai blend in better. If they keep this up, I'd say they've improved the exectuion. If you liked the concepts of the first season, but ultimately didn't really get into it (like me), you might want to give the show another chance.

Blood C... It's more clamp than Blood, so far. Too early to tell. For example: Saya morphed into a likable klutz. I'll keep watching, at least for a while.

My favourite so far (out of those three - heh) is, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. Little Japanese girl starts living in France (for whatever reason). It's just cute, warm and fuzzy. Fits right in with the anime I saw as a child (Heidi, Perrine, 3000 Miles in Search of Mother...).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This week's episode of Nichijou wasintense! I liked it.

Though with the new ED, I'm going to be having flashbacks to Shinji pulling naked Rei out of Zeruel and causing Near Third Impact whenever an episode ends.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Penguins!? Incest!? Oh, Ikuhara, you are a fabulously crazy bastard.

Speaking of Ikuhara, I still need to see Utena. (Yes, I know, I know.). I was waiting for the remastered DVDs to finally come out before watching it. I think they finally have... Must check. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for Star Driver BDs.

Last edited:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
*pokes head in* Hellooooo...

I'm giving in to my inner anime geek and posting here. I admit it. I love anime. Mostly (but not entirely) because watching anime in Japanese has given me approximately 60% of my (incredibly limited and admittedly pathetic) working Japanese vocabulary. Also probably some not-so-great grammar habits. But who cares! It rocks!

My favoritest anime of all time would be Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (Legend of the Legendary Heroes) and also Blue Exorcist. I love the storylines. If I ever have money to spare, I fully intend to search for the Japanese novels so I can find out the full DenYuuDen storyline. (Blue Exorcist episode 12 made me cry. I thought, here's one anime that doesn't make me roll my eyes whenever certain eye-candy characters came onscreen! ...and then, episode 12. Sadness.)

I'm currently watching Soul Eater, which I love and think is seriously adorable. I'm in an "adorable" phase. Everything is cute. Or adorable. I'm actually overusing the word "kawaii" (or conjugated variants thereof). *is shamed*

Also liked Nurarihyon no Mago, except I'm seriously having troubles wrapping my head around the concept that the main character (whose name I totally just forgot) has the same voice actor as Ryner from DenYuuDen. I just don't hear it. Unless the voice actors are different people with names with the exact same kanji. Which is highly unlikely. (Incidentally, another character had the same voice actor as the MC from Blue Exorcist. Coincidences apparently come in multiples.)

I'm blathering. Also, each time I type "exorcist," it wants to come out "excorcist." For whatever reason.

Though with the new ED, I'm going to be having flashbacks to Shinji pulling naked Rei out of Zeruel and causing Near Third Impact whenever an episode ends.

O.0 Neon Genesis Evangelion made my head hurt. I liked it, and then the last two episodes came along. Then I had a headache for three days trying to figure out what the crap happened.

Wow, okay. I seriously talk too much. Sorry 'bout that...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
O.0 Neon Genesis Evangelion made my head hurt. I liked it, and then the last two episodes came along. Then I had a headache for three days trying to figure out what the crap happened.

Did you ever end up watching End of Evangelion? It's more of a proper ending, but if the TV ending made your head hurt, maybe you should avoid it. It's probably my favorite movie ever, though.

Anyway, I was referring to the New Movie Edition, Evangelion 2.22, which uses Tsubasa wo Kudasai.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I pretty much just started watching anime again after a long while of not watching it.

So far, been trying to watch Chobits when I can. I just finished up Shikabane Hime: Aka and Shikabane Hime: Kuro, along with Kannagi, Eureka Seven, and High School of the Dead.

So far, that's been it. :D;

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving in to my inner anime geek and posting here. I admit it. I love anime....

One of us, one of us...

Though I shouldn't be one to speak, it's been months since I've watched my last full anime. :cry:

I'm currently watching Soul Eater, which I love and think is seriously adorable. I'm in an "adorable" phase. Everything is cute. Or adorable. I'm actually overusing the word "kawaii" (or conjugated variants thereof). *is shamed*

I was thinking of watching Soul Eater, but I was under the impression that it was a more "violent" anime. Am I mistaken? Not that I don't love "adorable" anime.... ;)

I think the last full anime I watched was Pandora Hearts, and I really loved it until the last few episodes... then it got weird. :Wha: Before that it was D.Gray-man, which was also pretty good though it one of those non-endings when the anime catches up to the manga.

And I still have to watch Gosick since everyone here seems to love it. I'm pretty certain that one is adorable.

Sooooo much new anime, I don't know where to begin...

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember your tastes, but IMO, Star Driver and Madoka are by far the best things to have come out recently.

I'll trust your taste. Okay, so Star Driver and Madoka are on the list, right after Gosick and Soul Eater. :)

I don't really know how to quantify my tastes. I loved Gundam Seed, but was not fond of Gundam 00. I loved Fruits Basket, but hated Chobits. I hated Eva (sorry), but generally I like mind-screws. I loved FMA (both seasons) and Death Note (manga). I loved the beginning of Naruto and Bleach, but got tired of them during the last 200ish episodes. I like D.Gray-man, Pandora Hearts, Darker than Black and Black Butler... so I don't know where this puts me. :Wha:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Penguins!? Incest!? Oh, Ikuhara, you are a fabulously crazy bastard.

Let's all waddle to the beat of the Penguin Drum... I take it you found your way to the most... interesting show of the season?

My favourite debut so far this season is still Usagi Drop. The shorts (up to 5 min per episode) this season are quite interesting, too: Morita san wa mukuchi and Double J, both slice of life (ideal for the mini-format).

Lilli Cray said:
Also liked Nurarihyon no Mago

Have you caught the beginning of season 2? It's now running, and, IMO, it's much improved. Better pace, better character design (the more outlandish Youkai don't stand out as much, anymore), more of an edge. It's probably the surprise of the season for me. (I liked season 1 well enough but didn't think it was anything special.)

Little Ming said:
And I still have to watch Gosick since everyone here seems to love it.

Hey, I thought it was merely okay. There are many show's I'd recomend over it.

And, yes, Madoka is certainly one of them.

I don't like Star Driver as much as Kuwisdelu, but it's well worth a watch. Word of advice, it takes a while to get to get started, and if you watch to many episodes at once you may end up hating a certain battle intiating sequence. But they're doing great with character development, which is what counts. So, even if you don't like it straight away, stick it out for a while. It's worth it (probably).

...so I don't know where this puts me.
Neither do I. I've seen Fruits Basket and Chobits (and liked both). I've seen Eva (and loved it - although the last two TV-eps were... drawn-out. I'm not opposed to the ending as such, but 2 episodes? I've seen End of Eva, and like it much better then the TV-ending.) A bit of Naruto. An episode or two of D-Gray Man (not enough to judge, by a long shot). And that's it.

Madoka is a pretty safe bet, since lots of people of different tastes seem to love it. And if you're not opposed to mindfuck, the witch-battles are probably not going to turn you off (which was one of the major critique points I hear - that aspect seems to be a hate-it/love-it situation - me? Shinbou animation + Kajiura soundtrack = Instant Love).

And for those who enjoyed Gosick for the mystery aspect, I'll suggest the currently running Kami Sama no Memou Chou (God's Memo Pad). Main-character dynamics and mystery aspect appears similar to Gothic, but the urban setting, internet setting, and roster of characters give more of a Durarara!!! (Watch that, if you haven't already.) feel. Who knows how that'll turn out. To early to tell how good it'll end up being. (ETA: Heh, beaten to it.)

KLynx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kajitochishio.tumblr.com
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee is probably my favorite so far this season. With this type of show you can tell right away, with the others it's too early.

I'm hoping Blood-C won't disappoint over much.
No. 6 - the first episode was a bit confusing
Kamisama Dolls- I enjoyed ep. 1, seems interesting
Yuri Yuru- strange but possibly may be a watch for cuteness

The next Hellsing OVA will come out this month too, I think, which I'm stoked for.

Top 10 over-all Anime favorites so far out of 313 series completed (in no particular order):

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
12 Kingdoms
Eureka 7
FMA:B (I haven't seen the first series yet)
Kemono no Souja Erin
Black Lagoon
NANA
Noir
Mushi

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Been watching Vandread and V: Second Stage.
I like the designs, and the concept, but I feel the execution hurts it. I think the pacing is too fast and that they sometimes don't spend enough time on certain subjects.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Let's all waddle to the beat of the Penguin Drum... I take it you found your way to the most... interesting show of the season?

We'll certainly see, but all my Evageeks friends seem to love Utena, and I tend to trust their taste.

My favourite debut so far this season is still Usagi Drop.

I've heard very good things about this one, too, but haven't gotten to it yet. It's definitely one I'm looking forward to.

And, yes, Madoka is certainly one of them.

I don't like Star Driver as much as Kuwisdelu, but it's well worth a watch. Word of advice, it takes a while to get to get started, and if you watch to many episodes at once you may end up hating a certain battle intiating sequence. But they're doing great with character development, which is what counts. So, even if you don't like it straight away, stick it out for a while. It's worth it (probably).

Neither do I. I've seen Fruits Basket and Chobits (and liked both). I've seen Eva (and loved it - although the last two TV-eps were... drawn-out. I'm not opposed to the ending as such, but 2 episodes? I've seen End of Eva, and like it much better then the TV-ending.) A bit of Naruto. An episode or two of D-Gray Man (not enough to judge, by a long shot). And that's it.

Madoka is a pretty safe bet, since lots of people of different tastes seem to love it. And if you're not opposed to mindfuck, the witch-battles are probably not going to turn you off (which was one of the major critique points I hear - that aspect seems to be a hate-it/love-it situation - me? Shinbou animation + Kajiura soundtrack = Instant Love).

Heh. IMO, Madoka was mindfuck Lite. If I'd had my way, I'd have Shinbo stretch out the last two episodes into two. One isn't enough for an adequate mindfuck. (Yes, I loved episodes 25 and 26 of Eva and the movie.). Shinbo cites Anno as a major inspiration of his. I wish I'd gotten more than one measly episode of mindfuck. I thought Shinbo had more balls than that. Meh.

In any case, I just rewatched the last episodes of Madoka, Star Driver, and Sora no Woto on a whim. All three stood up to repeat watchings, splendidly.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
This viewer has just finished Spice and Fox. For a long time I've been wondering what the genre low fantasy would be like, and now I've found an example. A couple of criminals traveling around scamming merchants. It could hardly get less epic, and except for the few occasions when Holo goes fox, there's only a couple of instances of magic besides that. My favourite subplot was the one involving a shepardess, some sheep, and a few wolves.

This series is especially recommended for you who liked Gosick, and for chessmaster wannabees. Holo is very similar to Victorique. It's just that instead of solving mysteries they concoct enormously complicated scams. Like the fool's gold plot, it took an entire episode just to explain what they were about to do. This is like the first time ever that I've not been able to follow the plot, and the love story is even worse.

Last edited: