For fun: Your Dread "Classic"

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I was made to read Lord of the Flies in school too. Although certain incidents in the book are genuinely memorable, my teacher seemed to neglect any kind of deeper analysis. In fact, I can't recall my English teachers ever inspiring me to read any book...where do they get these 'teachers'?

I had two amazing high school English teachers, who really got me to appreciate the classics. Before that, I would only want to read angsty teen novels, fantasy, and horror. They got me to see that there was so much more out there. Plus, one of those teachers, and my 12th grade creative writing teacher, were the ones that encouraged me in my writing. I would have given up a long time ago if not for those teachers.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
The absolute worst that I remember everybody in class, without fear of hyperbole or exaggeration, hated with the passion of 10,000 burning nuns was Moby Dick. We had at least three copies of the Cliffs Notes circulating around 20 students.

Anything Tolkein. Lord, I thought Frank Herbert got verbose. (I love the original Dune trilogy, FWIW.)

It's always amazed me that Moby Dick is never taught as what it was to me when I read it on my own, one of the funniest books in all of literature. Melville had a very dry but quite delicious sense of humor.

I completely agree on the Tolkein. Can't somebody find this guy an editor? Nothing there that E.R. Eddison and Mervyn Peake didn't do better.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Last of the Mohicans--gawd what a pile of steaming dog poo!

Amen that! Have you ever read Mark Twain's review of Cooper's books? Very funny stuff. It's one of those unreadable books that for some reason keeps getting made into darn good movies.