• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Books Unbound E-Publishing Company

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
It rather saddens me to leave this post, but it has to be done. Books Unbound E-Publishing is or rather was my publisher. After contacting Victoria Strauss, she suggested I place a post here. So, I'm following her advice in hopes that another writer will be spared. My journey with BU began in 2004 and appeared to be promising. Then it took nearly 2 years after the signing of the contract to the actual release of my book. Communication with the owners was slow and has become nonexistent since December 2006. I've only received two statements on royalties and was told about another number of books that were sold in the 4th quarter of 2006. No royalty checks have been sent to me and now the publishers won't even respond to e-mail inquiries. After nearly three and a half months of complete inactivity in the forum provided by the publisher, someone surfaced today and asked if anyone from the company was still alive.

There are 11 authors waiting to have their books released. Some of them have been waiting 2 years. Nothing has been released this year, and it's half over.

Although their submissions are closed, I believe there are still writers waiting to hear about whether or not their work was accepted. Anyone in that position--this post is for you. If you don't mind waiting years for the release and if you don't mind not being paid royalties for your work being sold, then this publisher is for you. However, if you're a writer who wants contact with your publisher, wants to know when your book will be released, and wants to be paid for the books sold, then steer clear of this publisher, because they don't deliver on the promises made in their contract.

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
An Update:

Since I began my crusade to get this publisher to cease making a profit off my work without paying me, I have had some success.

I was able to get the big e-book store to cease selling my work once I explained that while they were paying the publisher, the publisher has stopped paying its writers. Three days later, I got notice they were no longer offering my book for sale. One week later, I got a letter from the publisher telling me he was sending out royalty statements within the week. Roughly 7 days later, I got an angry letter from the publisher with some unfounded accusations. However, I also got a statement of sales and was advised a check would be forthcoming. That was 16 days ago...still no check and, not surprisingly, no response from the publisher to my inquiries.

The publisher did keep one promise in that they've also removed my book from their site and are no longer making a profit off of me.

I did hear from a couple other writers. One is probably equally--if not more--angry than I am. He's been waiting 3 years for his books (2) to be published. Finally, he told the publisher to remove his name, book cover, and blurb from the 'coming soon' page since it's obviously never going to see the light of day. It took almost a month, but his request was finally complied with.

I definitely feel this publisher is sinking fast. Problem is, it'll take down the writers with it.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the problems, congratulations on your success, thanks for looking out for fellow writers, and welcome! :welcome:
Stick around; this is a good place to be.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed to submissions Jan '10, and books slated for late '10 were not published. Site is now gone.

hoghead1

Registered
Reaction score
It rather saddens me to leave this post, but it has to be done. Books Unbound E-Publishing is or rather was my publisher. After contacting Victoria Strauss, she suggested I place a post here. So, I'm following her advice in hopes that another writer will be spared. My journey with BU began in 2004 and appeared to be promising. Then it took nearly 2 years after the signing of the contract to the actual release of my book. Communication with the owners was slow and has become nonexistent since December 2006. I've only received two statements on royalties and was told about another number of books that were sold in the 4th quarter of 2006. No royalty checks have been sent to me and now the publishers won't even respond to e-mail inquiries. After nearly three and a half months of complete inactivity in the forum provided by the publisher, someone surfaced today and asked if anyone from the company was still alive.

There are 11 authors waiting to have their books released. Some of them have been waiting 2 years. Nothing has been released this year, and it's half over.

Although their submissions are closed, I believe there are still writers waiting to hear about whether or not their work was accepted. Anyone in that position--this post is for you. If you don't mind waiting years for the release and if you don't mind not being paid royalties for your work being sold, then this publisher is for you. However, if you're a writer who wants contact with your publisher, wants to know when your book will be released, and wants to be paid for the books sold, then steer clear of this publisher, because they don't deliver on the promises made in their contract.

I had one of my novels published by Books Unbound back in 2004. I thought, "Great." However, it never sold. Also, I haven't been able to get in touch with Books Unb0und for years and years.