Need help with AdSense from experienced bloggers

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
As usual, I'm the last one to the party—in this case, the blogging party! I figured I'd experiment with it and see if I can generate just a little side income. So I'm monetizing my new WordPress blog but can't figure out how to insert the AdSense code into the main post area. I know how to put it in the sidebar with a text widget but I may want to try different placements.

I downloaded the AdSense Manager plug-in, but I don't really understand it. At Google's site, I had already chosen all the colors for the links, etc., and generated the code, so is this plug-in redundant for me?

I'm using my own hosting and domain name because I'm familiar with how to set up Web sites, but learning a new piece of software is always tough. Can someone with more WordPress experience than me (IOW, just about everybody) help me out with where to put the code or what files to modify? Thanks!

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
WP doesn't allow ads - well, they allow a small Amazon ad but that's about it. In terms of advertising, this is what they say:

To support the service we may occasionally show Google text ads on your blog, however we do this very rarely. In the future you’ll be able to purchase an upgrade to either turn the ads off or show your own ads and make money from your blog.

I don't know if it's different for people hosting their own blogs on WP though.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
I think you might be talking about wordpress.com as opposed to wordpress.org, which is what I have. About.com says:
Wordpress.org allows allows plugins and the use of themes. You're also able to monetize to your hearts content and add all your favorite bells and whistles.
I do have Google ads showing up in the sidebar, so I know it works. Just need to know how to put them elsewhere.

Thanks for replying, Marilyn!

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Update - I think I'm going to go with Amazon rather than AdSense because AdSense has some things in there I don't want to promote. Still, I'm not sure where to put the code if I want it other than in the sidebar.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Update - I think I'm going to go with Amazon rather than AdSense because AdSense has some things in there I don't want to promote. Still, I'm not sure where to put the code if I want it other than in the sidebar.

On my WP blog, in order to add stuff I've used Widgets. Dragged the text box where I want it on the sidebar and put the code into it.