• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta for literary novel (for agent R&R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I've had an agent request a revise and resubmit for the book I'm querying. The agent wanted to see a rather substantial change to the narrative voice, so I'm looking for readers to give me an honest opinion about whether those changes work.

Here's the query I sent to give you an idea about the story:

I'm seeking representation for my literary novel, CASSIOPEIA. Complete at 100,000 words, it is likely to appeal to fans of Winter's Bone and To Kill a Mockingbird.

No one can touch Wavy. She might get dirty. Or worse, she might make other people dirty. Wavy follows Mama's rule, until a giant crashes his motorcycle in the meadow. She has to break the rule to help Kellen.

Kellen is muscle for Wavy's drug-dealing father, so he's not the kind of guy who rescues people, but Wavy's offer of friendship fills a hole in Kellen's life. From the outside, the relationship looks wrong, especially after Kellen buys Wavy a ring. From the inside, though, it's more like a secret family. One where it's okay to touch people.

If Wavy can survive her mother's craziness, drug deals gone bad, and two murders, she still has to deal with a statutory rape charge against Kellen, and her oblivious aunt, who is determined to break up her secret family. The old rules won't help Wavy get Kellen back. She needs new ones.

I'm happy to recip, but I don't have any patience for grammar, syntax, or spelling correction. I am extremely honest in my critiques, and I prefer to receive honest reader reaction, including readers who are honest enough to say, "You know, when I got to chapter ten, I didn't want to read anymore." That won't hurt my feelings as long as you tell me why you stopped reading. That helps.

If you're interested, please PM and we can look at the first few chapters to see if we're a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.