50 Shades of Grey trilogy goes from fan fiction to Random House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Just thought I'd share this:

It's clear that the interest is not going away anytime soon, especially with the "Fifty Shades" movie adaptation on the way. Still, it doesn't hurt to try and look into the future, so we asked Day what subjects or themes she thinks will be the next big thing for the genre, be it paranormal, BDSM, etc.

"Part of [the allure of] 'Fifty Shades' and 'Bared to You' is that they are really almost like 'Harlequin Presents' [novels] but with extra sex," Day said. "You've still got your tortured millionaire hero, so there still is that kind of fantasy aspect to it, but I don't know that it could continue along that vein. But for a while in erotic fiction, there was kind of this trend where it was all done in sex clubs, like dungeons, you know that sort of thing, so it's kind of evolved from the BDSM being an underground thing to being this kind of wealthy plaything sort of [setting]. I think maybe what we'll start to see is that it will pull more into the more average, everyday couple and how they pull that into their lives and maybe how it changes their relationship, a ripped-from-the-headlines kind of thing. I could see it being done very well by some of the authors that I know."

That was Sylvia Day, the author of Bared to You. I just thought it was interesting she said that. Nothing more really.

Link: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1691545/fifty-shades-of-grey-erotica.jhtml

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with the idea of reading Bared to You but anything that has an 'If you liked 50 Shades' flash on its cover gives me pause.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hated the GIFs too. They irritate me, though the reviews were funny. If there were only one or two GIFs I would tolerate it, but she had several in each review.
So embarrassing, I had to ask my son what a gif was. (Ah ha!) I haven't read many reviews, but in this case, they kind of enhanced the LOLing for me. But I can see how they might get annoying after a while.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I hate gif reviews sometimes because some reviews seem to do it as if they're trying to be funny when they're not, and it just comes across as obnoxious some times. Like trying really hard to get laughs and seem cool.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the gifs. I admit they could be a bit much but the last one that had several at the end made me burst out laughing. (It was the Fresh Prince one that did it)

Reaction score
It must take a lot of time to search out the right ones, unless the reviewers have a huge .gif collection (rather like me and my James Purefoy photo hoard).

Asda were selling Eighty Days Yellow cheap so I caved. Despite the 'If you liked 50 Shades...' wank. I hate myself for it.

I love erotica. I just hate what 50 Shades has done to its already-bad reputation.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That's interesting. I didn't know that. Do you think that fic will get re-written(i.e. have the numbers filed off) as well?

I doubt it. It'd be hard to do so now, when there's publicity of it being compared to Fifty, so like when people wanted to see the original MoTU, they could find it somewhere. It's not like they'd have anything to hide with it, but at the same time, I dont get the impression that they only write to make a buck.

Asda were selling Eighty Days Yellow cheap so I caved. Despite the 'If you liked 50 Shades...' wank. I hate myself for it.

Wait a minute. Over the last year, is that all erotica is now? It's being succumbed to a title that includes a colour, a number, and a noun of sorts?

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Over the last year, is that all erotica is now? It's being succumbed to a title that includes a colour, a number, and a noun of sorts?
Coming soon: my erotic memoir, 69 Positions for Scarlett.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the gifs.

I liked them too! I thought they were amusing and funny illustrations for the snarky comments. Much more fun than just reading words. Made me more inclined to read the reviews.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

Don't forget the minimalist cover with a random object on the cover? For example, a tie, a mask, a pair of handcuffs, and etc.

And another erotic romance author is writing/has written a serial novel that is like Fifty Shades; it even has similar like covers.

I do wonder just how long this trend will last.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine very long. Maybe long enough to try and milk the cash cow for what they can, but eventually they'll exhaust it, just like the Supernatural/Vampire trend...

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I hope not just like the supernatural/vampire trend! That's been hanging on for years and years after I was over it...;)

Reaction score
Vampires are hardly a trend; neither is erotica. The latter is a genre, and it's never going away. Just like vampires as a trope.

It's not that they should go away, but that we should have more well-written vampires and erotica. Standards are...questionable, lately, shall we say?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Vampires are hardly a trend; neither is erotica. The latter is a genre, and it's never going away. Just like vampires as a trope.

It's not that they should go away, but that we should have more well-written vampires and erotica. Standards are...questionable, lately, shall we say?
:D I was understanding the originally referenced "trend" as converting Twilight fan fiction to erotic best seller.

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I know one is a genre, the other is a trope, mix in the idea of BDSM (which is all the rage right now) and you have the trend of today... The Racy BDSM With an emotional defunct anti-hero, and a plank of wood for a heroine.

I'm grasping at straws here for the 'trend', but there's nothing distinguishable otherwise that gives the book a trendy vibe..

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an old man go into my local bookshop and buy a copy of "Fifty Shades of Grey" from the shelf.

What do people think of a title? It sounds a bit like hair dye for middle-aged men.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I saw an old man go into my local bookshop and buy a copy of "Fifty Shades of Grey" from the shelf.

What do people think of a title? It sounds a bit like hair dye for middle-aged men.

A young female colleague of mine had an elderly Russian gentleman come up to her at an underground station and ask what she was reading on her Kindle. "You should read Fifty Shades of Grey, is very good. Is very good for love life," he told her. The odd thing about this was that she found him rather charming and gallant. (I don't know what that says about the book, life, society, the human condition etc. Shoot me.)

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score

I am not phased either way by it, people like different things. I've expressed myself before on the matter of peoples treatments of readers of the novel and the book itself.

I am not fussed who reads it or whatever. We all like different things really.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I found a copy of the trilogy lying on the ground in the rain at the dump, but only slightly damp, so I took it home before it washed away. I don't know if I'll read it, but it was just lying there, and I can always take it back to the dump.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I read the first fifty pages (not got to any of the "good stuff" yet). Just like some of the YA I used to read- readable if rather poor writing. Not keen on Ana being an anglophile- seems too contrived- although I do like the references to Tess of The D'Ubervilles.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I read the first fifty pages (not got to any of the "good stuff" yet). Just like some of the YA I used to read- readable if rather poor writing. Not keen on Ana being an anglophile- seems too contrived- although I do like the references to Tess of The D'Ubervilles.

Well EL James is English and lives in London. There's quite a lot of things in the book that Americans wouldn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.