50 Shades of Grey trilogy goes from fan fiction to Random House

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
I think the idea of a little more Edward (or a lot more of Edward ;)) is pretty appealing to hardcore fans of his character - even if the story is nothing like Twilight.
I mean, the books have been written, the movies are nearly over... FSoG couldn't have arrived at a more perfect time.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Tell a good story, tell it well, and it'll sell. It's said all the time on these boards when writers come in talking about 'what's selling well' and 'what do they need to focus on to get published' and 'what elements make a sellable story these days?'.

So. Either Fifty Shades is a good story, told well and now it's selling, or it's a cash cow the publisher is milking for everything it's worth.

I can only speak for myself, and I came to these boards pre-broken in a lot of ways, but the message I've taken away from AW is "tell a good story and tell it well, and its odds of selling are better but still not guaranteed."

Furthermore, sometimes the fickle finger of fate touches a piece of absolute crap and it sells like hotcakes. It has ever been thus.

It's just that as a writer, I can either wait for that finger to touch my terrible story OR I can improve my own odds by telling a good story well. Since so much else in writing depends on luck (the right editor, the right audience, the right time), I need to focus on stacking the deck in my favor.

Then if I ever get lucky, it'll be with something worth reading and I won't end up as the luckiest one hit wonder to ever walk the earth.

In my day job, I get told a lot that my success has come from being in the right place at the right time. That is true. But I was in the right place at the right time with the right skills to take advantage of it. I can't help but think (hope?) that writing fiction is the same way.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
What rubs me the wrong way is this little question: would the book get sold just as nicely if there was zero connection to Twi-fame?

I don't really have a problem with AU fanfics being turned into original novels as long as the similarities are minimal (for example, if you could give both stories to someone unaware of the source, and that reader wouldn't notice anything shady.) Copy & paste of ideas sucks, but writers get inspired by other writers' work all the time, some very discreetly. I remember some big name author admitting she based the main character of her series on a fictional character she was in love with as a teen.

But using another author's audience to propel yourself forward is just a trick to make your own career easier. Yes, if your book is bad, the audience will sneer at it, but still, by using a ready-made, just-add-book instant audience you got the initial push you did not deserve.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
The reason why both Twilight and FSoG are popular is far from inscrutable. As I've noted before (probably ad nauseum), stimulate the right nerves in enough people to form a critical mass of word-of-mouth promotion, and there you go. The ordinary girl who attracts the eternal love of an extraordinary (even supernatural or angelic) male (or two) is a trope pulling down lots of money these days. You might say that Jane Eyre is a prototype, but Twilight is the immediate progenitor of the contemporary slew of such stories. Which pluck the right heart-strings, which loosen a lot of purse-strings.

Interesting that Twilight exploits a variety of sex and reproduction fears, while FSoG bursts through those fears into an watered-down debauchery that lets its readers feel just daring and naughty enough, not really dirty.

True.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What rubs me the wrong way is this little question: would the book get sold just as nicely if there was zero connection to Twi-fame?

::shrug:: Anyone's guess.

For me, the first book was engaging and I thought the FMC made the exact right choice at the end. She should have stuck with it.

Books 2 and, well, I quit reading 3, struck me as This Is Not Dynasty on crank. And the "This Is Not..." video franchise and Dynasty are/were both very popular.

SeanBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.seanblackbooks.com
A Million Shades of Green

Frequent reader/rare poster.

I am published by a division of Random House in the UK and have been through the whole rather heady six-figure auction experience back in 2008 when I sold my debut novel, Lockdown. Being an RH author this is not a subject I would choose to talk about lightly.

Up until two weeks ago, I had only a vague grasp of fan fiction, how certain fandoms eroticize fundamentally YA characters, etc. etc. It's not that I look down on any of it BTW, it's simply an unfamiliar world to me.

Having seen some of the Tweets/FB/blogs about this book, I began to do a little digging. It was an illuminating experience to say the least.

I ended up writing a 7,000 word Kindle ebook about it, which I uploaded today to Amazon. It's called A Million Shades of Green: How An Ice Dragon Changed Publishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Shades-Green-Publishing-ebook/dp/B007O5WVDS/

I have also blogged a little about it here:

Without getting into an ethical debate, I feel that this may be a paradigm shifting moment for publishing. It's been good to see it discussed here. I hope some of the issues get a wider airing.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Color me unsurprised:

But the demands of James and her literary agent, Valerie Hoskins, have caused more than one bidder to use the safe word. Sources say the ask is very far-reaching and nearly unprecedented, though one notes that it wouldn’t be completely unheard-of for a book that had actually been published.

Among the contract requests are approval of director, writer, cast, locations, screenplay, marketing materials, trailers and more.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/el-james-making-unprecedented-demands-303811

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what will happen when (if) this author decides to write some original books. Obviously she has a lot of fans if her sales are that high, but will all of those fans return for a taste of something that isn't Twilight-flavored?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Angela James tweeted an astute observation: it's ironic EL James wants total creative control over something that originated as fan fiction.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
I hope James isn't expecting the film to be true to the book because major studios shy away from XXX ratings. There's about 20 minutes of plot in this book... the rest is all sex. There's even a car chase where the second they ditch their pursuer they... have sex in the car.

I write smut, I love erotica, but really... there's not much there there for a movie...

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Methinks she feels the fickle winds of change and public approval shifting, already? At the very least, she has to have the same idea as Random
House: get as much money as possible out of this situation.
After which, she can change her name and write whatever books she likes because with payments like $5 million dropping into her bank account she can stop worrying about sales, royalties or day jobs. Okay, color me envious. xd

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
After which, she can change her name and write whatever books she likes because with payments like $5 million dropping into her bank account she can stop worrying about sales, royalties or day jobs. Okay, color me envious. xd

This would be logical, but I reckon she won't. She's too brazen, egotistical (or at least her actions up until now suggest such). She will want more validation and will want to "prove" herself.

I'm not 100% convinced she will come out of this well, anyway. The books are currently languishing in the 200-300s in the Kindle charts. The paper books may have high pre-orders, but this doesn't help Cornerstone who own the digital rights. They're not going to make back their 6/7 figure investment with those sorts of sales.The bad reviews are piling in as frequently as the good ones. I will actually be surprised if she earns out her advances.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Just realised that in that last post, I sound like I'm profiling a serial killer. Oops, lol...

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
The books are currently languishing in the 200-300s in the Kindle charts.

I don't think that's accurate.

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Books > Romance > Contemporary
#1 in Books > Literature & Fiction
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Romance > Contemporary

The preorders for the paperback are about the same and the two other books in the series are all likewise in the top 10.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
SafetyDance:
I will actually be surprised if she earns out her advances.

She doesn't need to. She's already earned a packet from the small publisher, she's banked a big advance and she's kept subsidiary rights, which will probably go for a good chunk of change too.

For something that started as a hobby, she's basically got herself set up for life.

MM

heza

Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't need to. She's already earned a packet from the small publisher, she's banked a big advance and she's kept subsidiary rights, which will probably go for a good chunk of change too.

For something that started as a hobby, she's basically got herself set up for life.

MM

This is true.

I'm going to go work on my newest WIP, now... it's about a twenty-something man and woman taken from each of 12 districts and forced into a BDSM arena...

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Sold to Universal.

That means this was getting the full attention from all of Universal. The author and agent did a similar thing when they set 50 Shades of Grey up with a publisher. They chose Random House because they wanted the backing and bucks of a big publishing house with a Vintage imprint that gives the trilogy the chance to be regarded as literature and not some trashy sex novel.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/universal-pictures-and-focus-features-win-50-shades-of-grey/

:Wha:

Status
Not open for further replies.