Not letting an audience know what's in a novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Okay, I have a question for my fellow writers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In my novel, Blood in the Meadows, I created a character to enhance a subplot of the story. She is not a full she. And, the primary antagonist, a Macho Latin male, meets and falls in lust/love with “her.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This was not an attempt to make the story exotic or exciting. In fact, it came from my days in driving a taxi where one of our regular and routine pickups was a club frequented by such “shes.” I did my best to portray this as difficulties in relationships and was told by a couple of reviewers that it is tastefully presented.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As I look now, it appears there might be a larger audience out there for the novel that I have failed to reach. Can anyone suggest what I might do or where I might go to let that audience know of the story content? I've already added “tags” to the Amazon site to include that area for the novel. What more is there?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thanks.[/FONT]

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If by a wider audience you mean the transsexual and transgender communities... not like this. Someone who wants to be called by female pronouns is a she. There are no quotes around it. There's no judgement of not being a 'full she' for not having surgery.

People are used to trans characters being portrayed badly, so you need to be extra careful that your language doesn't come across as buying in to all the assumptions and misconceptions. Your characters may have them, but as the author, you don't want to come across that way.

EndlessDestiny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashlynwriting.tumblrcom
Also agreeing with the above poster about pronouns.

You could contact websites/blogs to review it and get the word out. I frequent AfterEllen and Diversity in YA and that's how I learn about some really good books that would have slipped past me.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
You might also consider adding a bit more about this person to your book's description. A review that mentions the person would help, too, but you can't really tell someone what to put in a review.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Also, why have you titled this thread " Not letting an audience know what's in a novel"? What is it you want to hide, and why, exactly?

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I put the title quickly without really thinking about it. I wrote something into the novel that I did not clearly mention in either the blurb or the book description.

I did my best to deal with the character in an aboveboard and sensitive manner. She has led a very difficult life and, by pure chance, met a man who not only cares about her but has the funds to take care of her. That he happens to be the mastermind behind a plot to set off bombs on The Strip plays - obviously - a big role in the novel.

I'm just having difficulties in trying to put this forward without seeming to be pandering to anybody.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Okay, I have a question for my fellow writers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In my novel, Blood in the Meadows, I created a character to enhance a subplot of the story. She is not a full she. And, the primary antagonist, a Macho Latin male, meets and falls in lust/love with “her.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This was not an attempt to make the story exotic or exciting. In fact, it came from my days in driving a taxi where one of our regular and routine pickups was a club frequented by such “shes.” I did my best to portray this as difficulties in relationships and was told by a couple of reviewers that it is tastefully presented.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As I look now, it appears there might be a larger audience out there for the novel that I have failed to reach. Can anyone suggest what I might do or where I might go to let that audience know of the story content? I've already added “tags” to the Amazon site to include that area for the novel. What more is there?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thanks.[/FONT]

This brings to mind a rather bad experience I once had. I was single and I decided to go see a movie. walked to the theater down the road and saw an exciting movie poster with a women holding a gun much like Bond would. So I got my ticket, being a guy who likes action flicks, and went in to see the movie.

As the scenes played through, it turned out that woman was a "she".

The movie was "The Crying Game" and I have to say, that movie gives me nightmares to this day. Not my thing be a long shot, lol.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the input.

I put the title quickly without really thinking about it. I wrote something into the novel that I did not clearly mention in either the blurb or the book description.

I did my best to deal with the character in an aboveboard and sensitive manner. She has led a very difficult life and, by pure chance, met a man who not only cares about her but has the funds to take care of her. That he happens to be the mastermind behind a plot to set off bombs on The Strip plays - obviously - a big role in the novel.

I'm just having difficulties in trying to put this forward without seeming to be pandering to anybody.

My advice is to just write the story. Let the story determine how open it should be. As much as I hated The Crying Game, the storytelling technique was sound.

Instead of worrying about offending a group of people, worry more about telling the story in the most surprisingly gripping way.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
My advice is to just write the story. Let the story determine how open it should be. As much as I hated The Crying Game, the storytelling technique was sound.

Instead of worrying about offending a group of people, worry more about telling the story in the most surprisingly gripping way.

I finished the story some time ago and self-published it on Kindle and Nook. The problem is in how I am marketing it. It is, first and foremost, a story of how a vet driving a cab becomes aware of a plot to set off bombs on The Strip and downtown Las Vegas. He knows Tomasa who has become involved in the mastermind behind the plot. The ex-Colombian soldier has a wife and mistress but still becomes involved in her - presenting a great danger to himself. That's who I haven't clearly presented.

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
There is an emerging market for she characters in fiction. Perhaps you could write a new novella using this charcter and promote the story towards the right market, using appropiate blurb and title. Inlcude at the end of the ebook an excerpt or link to your original novel. Just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.