The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
just finishing up a crime short story...I had been working on it but couldn't finish it so left it and now, a couple months later I've finally figured out how to end the thing.

also going to send a flash to DSF. I was waiting until my other submission would be accepted/rejected (it got rejected) so I could send this one.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, i've written two stories in the last two days, thanks to the Flash Fiction January Challenge. Both are longer than flash (one over 2k). Means i haven't written any novel words, or done any editing on the novelette i want to get out the door by the end of this month, but still, writing's writing, right?

Prisoner24601

One Mouthy Broad
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh found this thread and decided to give this challenge a go with a goal of two stories per month, twenty four stories this year.

Finished my first story of the new year "Five Deaths for Deliverance" (Horror, 2,900 words) and subbed it to the the Dark Faith 2 Anthology call. No chance in hell, but aim high, right? On track for the second short story of the month, "Running with the Huntress," at 1,900 words so far.

So total, eight out on submission, hoping to make that nine by the end of the month.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ooh found this thread and decided to give this challenge a go with a goal of two stories per month, twenty four stories this year.

Finished my first story of the new year "Five Deaths for Deliverance" (Horror, 2,900 words) and subbed it to the the Dark Faith 2 Anthology call. No chance in hell, but aim high, right? On track for the second short story of the month, "Running with the Huntress," at 1,900 words so far.

So total, eight out on submission, hoping to make that nine by the end of the month.
:welcome: to the challenge, Prisoner! And well done so far :)

Have a browse around the rest of the W1S1 room. There's plenty of great threads in here.

Finished my first W1/S1 story and submitted it to a writing contest. I'm starting out with two per month. I have my next story outlined and I've completed some prewriting. Such a good feeling.
Go, Jennifer! :e2cheer:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ha! Very clever. Nimoy in Diehard and Shatner in Avatar especially made me laugh.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote my short. It's been checked, but am just waiting for a response from someone else who is reading it and then I'll be sending it out. My first short for W1S1:)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone sold to Pseudopod?

How do they pay?

They say 'we need to know who’s legally offering us this story and to whom the check should be written'.

Do they send cheques, or is that just a turn of phrase?

Because I can't cash a US cheque, so if they do, I won't sub to them.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Wrote my short. It's been checked, but am just waiting for a response from someone else who is reading it and then I'll be sending it out. My first short for W1S1:)
Yay, Sarah! :hooray:

How do they pay?

They say 'we need to know who’s legally offering us this story and to whom the check should be written'.

I haven't sold to them, and am not sure how they pay, sorry. Do they have a query address on the site you could email and ask?

I've decided to change from W1S1 Monthly to the weekly goal. I've written four stories so far this month and I have another nearly finished
Go, you! You're on fire :e2cheer:

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score

How do they pay?

"If we decide we’d like it for our podcast, we’ll send you a contract as a PDF file in email. You will sign it and send it back to us either via email (after scanning it), fax, or postal mail. Then we’ll pay you via check or PayPal, whichever you indicated on the last page of the contract, and we’ll start producing."

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Lol!

I should read more carefully.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
I've decided to change from W1S1 Monthly to the weekly goal. I've written four stories so far this month and I have another nearly finished
Congratulations! I'm doing monthly and I think I'll make two this month, but I dunno if I'm necessarily ready to commit to that for every month.

As for me, I just finished editing my January piece today. Sending it out to a few beta readers, then sending it out as soon as I get their feedback.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Well, i've written two stories in the last two days, thanks to the Flash Fiction January Challenge. Both are longer than flash (one over 2k). Means i haven't written any novel words, or done any editing on the novelette i want to get out the door by the end of this month, but still, writing's writing, right?

Yay! Well done, sir! :)

Congratulations!

Wow, everyone is writing except me. Wait... did you guys steal my writing mojo? C'mon, 'fess up... you'll regret it when space ninjas start showing up in all your stuff...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Wow, everyone is writing except me. Wait... did you guys steal my writing mojo? C'mon, 'fess up... you'll regret it when space ninjas start showing up in all your stuff...
I stole. It's now chained to the boiler in my basement along with all the other mojos i've stolen. It's good to have a hobby.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I have a new idea that involves a whole lot of interconnected short stories (under 2k) set on the same world.

Damn it. The ideas are coming through far too fast at the moment.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Write like the wind, Izz!!

I just finished my first ever piece of flash. Every other short story I've written has been between 2.5k and 4k. No idea if it's any good. Going to polish it up and get it out there though.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Any advice for markets that take "conceptual pieces" like McSweeney's, where the format and humor take precedent over story arc? I just got a very nice rejection from them and am not sure where else to look.