Oh, man, I can't believe I said THAT in a post!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet here I sit, trying to tell shit from shinola. What is shinola, anyway? Am I even using the correct spelling? Does anyone else flip the monitor off on occasion?

^^^and that is how I post questions when I'm feeling passive aggressive^^^

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Yet here I sit, trying to tell shit from shinola. What is shinola, anyway? Am I even using the correct spelling? Does anyone else flip the monitor off on occasion?

^^^and that is how I post questions when I'm feeling passive aggressive^^^
I'm that way with "tit for tat" WTF is tat, and how do we exchange it for the other?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yet here I sit, trying to tell shit from shinola. What is shinola, anyway?

I'm that way with "tit for tat" WTF is tat, and how do we exchange it for the other?
You guys want the too-nerdy-to-live, for-real answers to those questions?

Shinola was a brand of shoe-polish - the old-fashioned paste-wax kind.

Tit for tat probably came into usage from the phrase "tip for tap" that, sometime after the Norman invasion (which would have introduced something like tant pour tant to the English), evolved into tit for tat -- which means a retaliation hit in return for the original "tip" or shove.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For me, an absolute deal-killer is someone (of either gender) who takes the worst possible interpretation of everything said or done by others based on the weight of that shoulder-chip. It short-circuits use of that other, more important, shoulder-mounted appendage.

Frank, my residual conjoined twin second head, strongly supports this post.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Perks thinks I'm nice in real life. I'm of a mind to let the delusion continue.

no worries, hun. she's just afraid for her life. she's faking it. no need to work on the delusion.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did I really start all this? I didn't mean to. Honestly.

I read the thread up until this post and what led up to this post.

That's the way it seems sometimes, because you know, we can't always be worried about exactly how you feel at the moment but must take other members' feelings into account.

And if you don't like it, well, then fuck off.

Hows that for politically correct?

Then my ears started to ring and I felt hot. "How could he tell someone to eff off if they don't like it!" I thought. I felt it was more rude than the original title of the thread which was "This is why you're fat" or something like that. It's the title of a book of fattening foods. The thread is now called Terrible Foods.

I'm a stickler when it comes to being politically correct in the business world where there are no family values or community efforts. I refer to that kind of non-heart as a political tin can. Just cold and hollow. I don't view AW as a business and I get the feeling most people here don't either. I feel we treat this place more like a community or family and to tell a member to eff off as a way of being politically correct is way over the top no matter how you mean it. Just my feeling though. There are exceptions where it's permitted, I'm no stiffy, it is excepted in a funny manner to the majority here. Kay Serra, Serra or however it's spelt.

I don't want AW to turn into a politically correct tin can. But on the other hand I do get the whole non-offending thing and because I love this community so much I try my hardest to abide by it. Sometimes I mess up and get caught up in the moment, I'm human like everyone else here. You guys have no idea how much I grew up here. I had a horrific childhood and past. I never belonged to a group of people in my life. I didn't feel worthy or like I even belonged in this world. I felt and still feel at times that I'm a puzzle piece to a different puzzle but one that didn't exist. One of my first threads I started was in Games. Do You Think You Could Respond To This? I was sure people would drop out of this and say it was stupid and I would have to hide for being so dumb but when it took off I was so elated! For the first time in my life I was accepted and liked.

So when someone came in and expressed how they felt on the issue and I read the above post I felt it was unfair treatment. And I was feeling particularly fragile that day. This is what I responded with.

So if i started a thread here in OP that said...

"If people here at AW don't like this thread they can fuck off!"

It would be okay because it's politically correct to tell a human being here at AW to fuck off by a moderator but you can't post the title of a book? (and, yes, I do get the whole offending thing but to convey that point with a whole "if you don't like it you can fuck off" baffles me.

I'm so offended by that gesture I'm ashamed to be here. I think the post/poster could have made a point without shoving a knife in a heart. Oh, but wait, hearts and politics don't mix. What a shame the mod has traded his heart for a political tin can for his own heart.

I fear AW is turning into a tin can rather than a place where people can come express their mind without being told to fuck off. And I'm sure that I'm going to be told that if I don't like it i can fuck off too. Right?

Does being a mod hold some kind of powers over people when you moderate a thread to keep people from offending others and then get a free ticket to tell them to fuck off because it's politically correct?

I don't get this.

And truly I didn't get it. I was so angry and offended by this gesture that I went to mac and said something. Was I over the top in my response? A little. Did I consider how I would make the poster feel? Not all the way but I did want to make a point as well and I don't consider my actions all consequential or all bad. I didn't mean to make the poster feel that bad but they did send me a couple of reps thanking me for what I had said.

I probably over read the post and for that I'm sorry. I hope all is well in the midst of all this.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Werri - easy does it. :) Have a cup of tea, sweetie. And yes. All is well.

What SK was doing with the "fuck off" was trying to demonstrate that politeness is NOT about being PC. And demonstrate, as well, that he's not a particularly PC guy -- but he still wants the people in his forum to care about other people's feelings.

He was being ironic -- but that doesn't always translate from the page very well, y'know? But the long and the short of it is this: Nope. You didn't start this whole thing. You maybe represent the folks that might have been hurt or upset by someone else's post, is all. The thread isn't really even about the one specific situation that you described.

We ALL say or write things that, later, we think "oh, crap. I totally should NOT have said what I said."

Then we have a variety of choices around how to deal with that.

:hug:

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I was being ironic in one post and was sure that all would be clear.

Um, I got an "Asshole!" and a "Bullshit!" from folks here who try to be completely polite. Oh, my. Is there an award for that ;)?

Hugs!! I got his irony, but I've learned that the unintended alternative sounds like a huge slap in the face. I know I'll not use that way to make a point again -- I'll add a footnote :)

And more hugs :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i always try to avoid ironing whenever possible.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
There was irony here?
and I missed it?
OMG, it's like being the only one that doesn't get a sale flyer in the mail.
I'm dumbstruck.

How did Helen Keller burn her face?

She answered the irony.

How did she burn the other side?

They called back.

Moral: Never answer to irony.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The languid-age around here leaves a lot to be desirable, particularly when uddered in rosy-red sweet-come-suck-me syllables of intro-perverted spasm-speak. My virginated ears are moist with the insulcestuous fill-anderings of just a few flashycashews.

Reaction score
I have no idea whether I'm aroused or ready to stick my face in a blender now.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
cashews are the best. nuts.

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are so damned funny!

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leukman, how are you today?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea whether I'm aroused or ready to stick my face in a blender now.
I suspect to some around here it would be an honor to flip the on-switch for either one.

[how's that for the tillerturn into iron-y]

Last edited: