Does anyone promote short stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlbodine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tlbodine.blogspot.com
So, I'm curious more than anything, so anybody who wants to weigh in. Writers of short fiction: do you put any effort into promoting the stories once they've been published?

I know people put a lot of effort (understandably) into promoting their books, but I've never seen anyone touch on the topic of short story promotion (unless it's using shorts AS promotion).

Considering how many small-press/indie anthology publishers and lit magazines there are, I imagine any author promoting their stories would also be doing a favor to the rest of us and the industry in general. It seems like it'd be a good idea...I'm just not sure the best way to go about it.

There's the obvious, of course -- posting links on Facebook and your blog and the like -- but any ideas for reaching a wider audience than folks who already know you (or would probably be buying the story anyway)? But past that, is it worth it in your opinion?

I'll toss one idea out. I have an account on DeviantArt, which I primarily use to follow artists whose work I admire and chat with folks. I'm not comfortable posting my "serious" writing on there because of the way the site is structured, but I do sometimes post up "freebies", and I do a lot of photomanipulation. I was thinking it might be fun to do photomanipulations based on/inspired by my stories, then post them with a very short (2-3 line) excerpt and a link to the whole thing. This would obviously work for books too, but I currently have no book to promote.

Just curious to see people's opinions.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I do the blog and Facebook thing

I'm a member of a small group of horror writers who publicize each other's stories on their blogs, twitter, etc.

I sometimes interview short story writers on my blog and always link to some of their available online stories.

I'm curious if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone marketing their short stories beyond family and friends. There is usually some advertising done by the magazines themselves, but I'm sure the editors would be eternally grateful if you could find a way to sell a few more copies.

It's a good idea and certainly can't hurt.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
I have an author page on Facebook (and Amazon, but Facebook gets more hits) and I have a blog that I update on a weekly basis. Other than that, I'm more focused on writing more stories and getting them up.

That being said, my fiance paid for an ad on Facebook and that has boosted my facebook page views through the roof. As in quadrupled the number of "likes" in six days. Does that translate to sales? well... not as much, though they are up from 1 to 3. But whether that is due to the ad, I'm I can't conclusively say yes...

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I post on blogs and stuff and have done guest posts on other people's blogs - including an interview for the anthology it is in. I do the facebook thing too and the twitter thing and given that most of the people on twitter I have as 'friends' are not actually people I have met or would count as friends in the literal sense of the word this is more than merely 'friends and family'.

I also printed some leaflets of the front cover of the anthology and had them displayed on stalls of friends who run businesses at events.

I have no idea if any of these have affected sales at all. The first reports are not due out until Jan 18th...

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I have eight full length novels and 5 short stories. 80% of my time goes to the novels, but I do limited promo on my SF shorts to include: Submission for reviews, reference in interviews/radio talk shows, chats and a few blog/ezine submissions.

Most short exposure comes from being vertically visable on the home page of my site. I redesigned my site about a year ago so that novels and shorts were vertically aligned on my home page and it doubled deep hits associated with the shorts.

SakuraReyna

Writing once, twice, and forever.
Registered
Reaction score
I've written and promoted one short story on Twitter and Facebook, as well as Fictionpress.com. It's gotten quite a few unexpected hits and when it was published on Fictionpress last month, it had been clicked over 600 times. This month, it's gotten 54 hits. I had it up on Amazon, but two bad reviews for it turned me into a punk and I took it down. I don't think those two reviewers understood where I was going with it--it was just something for fun. I do plan on improving it though. But that's as far as I'm gonna go with that one for now.

ViolettaVane

I'm living in a silent film
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solaceames.com
Romance shorts can get promoted extensively. We have an m/m erotic romance that's a borderline novella, and our publisher is feeding us enough review blog interviews to choke a horse! We're also planning giveaways and lots of guest posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.