• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Shelf Life Literary (Marissa Walsh)

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
New, but I think I found one sale (on Publisher's Lunch via google search, but I don't have a subscription). Not listed on P&E.

Anybody have any info?

http://www.shelflifelit.com/

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, her bio at Gotham Writers' Workshop mentions she works with YA.

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just received a request from Marissa to read the first chapter of my novel, which is YA. So...I'd say reps Young Adult, too!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just received a request from Marissa to read the first chapter of my novel, which is YA. So...I'd say reps Young Adult, too!
When did you query, Dot?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else heard back from Marissa Walsh one way or the other? I'm still waiting on a Halloween query myself.

socact

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on a query, too. It was around Halloween that I sent it.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this situation:

I just received a partial request from another agent, and Ms. Walsh's website says to inform her when you receive a manuscript request, not just an offer. I already mentioned in my query that the manuscript was under consideration by several other agents (and it still is under consideration by those agents), so do you think that disclosure suffices...or would she want to know about this request, too?

I certainly don't want to be annoying and I'm leaning toward not directly informing her of this most recent request. But does anyone have any particular feelings on this?

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. These agents have us terrorized to the point where we don't know which way to step.

This would give her a heads-up that somebody else is interested. My reading is that she want to know if someone has requested a full, not a partial. Many request partials, but never move on to fulls. I'd only email her on a full request.

Hmm. Do I have a full request? Could I lie about it? Yah, sure you betcha.

Krista, I think you're on solid ground to leave it alone and see what happens.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for backing up my gut instinct :) I think that's what I'll do.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: I ended up getting a full request not long after the partial request mentioned above, so per her website instructions, I e-mailed Ms. Walsh with an alert (this was on November 23). Today I received a reply to that follow-up e-mail. She thanked me for the initial query and follow-up and said that even though she didn't do much fantasy, since she liked my blog and bio, she was interested in taking a look.

(I tweaked the plot summary and bio paragraph in my query to better match the guidelines on her website, by the way, and it seemed to work.)

P.S. Dotsoec1, have you heard back on your partial yet? If so, what was the turnaround time?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Nope...haven't heard a thing...

Hmm. I just received another e-mail from Ms. Walsh, confirming that she'd received my manuscript and informing me that she'd try to respond by February 1.

Did you get anything like that, dotsoec1? Could it be she never received your pages?

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...interesting....I never received a confirmation email. Following your suggestion, I sent her an email this morning to confirm if she received my pages. We shall see...

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
Received a request for a full today! Here's looking at a favorable response!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Woot, woot, dotsoec1! Good luck with that! Of course I'll update when I hear back.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from Ms. Walsh on my requested full last Friday...with an invitation to revise and resubmit! Her only problem with it was the fact that it might not be grounded enough in YA to sell in that genre, so if I decide to make some changes in that regard, she said she'd love to see it again.

Woohoo! She also asked about what other projects I'm working on, which I'm always eager to talk about, especially with an agent. I have to admit, that e-mail made my day :)

Last edited:

dreamwriter369

Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from Ms. Walsh on my requested full last Friday...with an invitation to revise and resubmit! Her only problem with it was the fact that it might not be grounded enough in YA to sell in that genre, so if I decide to make some changes in that regard, she said she'd love to see it again.

Woohoo! She also asked about what other projects I'm working on, which I'm always eager to talk about, especially with an agent. I have to admit, that e-mail made my day :)

That's so exciting! Congrats! I feel like we are submitting to the same agents. I received a request for a partial a few days ago and sent it. Has anyone worked with this agent?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Very exciting, dreamwriter. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

ccozic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ccozic.wordpress.com
If this helps anyone, I responded to Ms. Walsh's request for my kids nonfiction picture book. I emailed the MS on Jan. 12, and she responded very favorably to my MS 22 days later (thrilled here of course!).

Had it not been just after the holidays, she may have responded sooner.
But she does respond fairly quickly, and she is very pleasant to communicate with.

And in my opinion, she has some of the top (okay, impeccable) credentials for YA/kids lit.